Gpsp V0.9-2xb-u6

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
I've just compiled GP2X version of gpSP, it has all fixes from Wiz version + software scaler as a bonus. The later causes more noticeable performance hit then on Wiz, but is still usable for some games with some overclock. I've also bundled it with RAM timings setting app, I don't think everyone was setting their RAM timings manually.

download here

I'm interested how much emu oriented GP2X users we still have, if you are going to use this please post in this thread.

Wait, really? Ooooh, gonna try right now! Then I'll come back with impressions.

Edit
: OK, wow, that scaler is really nice. And still using it I'm getting 60 (30) frames on Lufia Ruins of Lore (which had a really choppy playback on the intro even when overclocking).
Excellent, one question, does it set a default clockspeed when it starts? If it does not, then those figures are with a 200 mhz speed... i think...

In other words it is great! Now testing other games...

Edit2: Golden Sun has a clear performance improvement, but it doesn't output sound now... anyway, the previous version lags even disabling sound. ^_^
Other games have similar results, and have seen no other problems so far (GS is the only that lost sound).

Thanks so much Notaz!

kirby amazing mirror / spyro the eternal night / puyo pop / advance wars

all tested @ 200mhz / scalled 3:2 software / automatic frame skip (value4) ..highly enjoyable .. few "stutterings" with advance wars (in menu) but very playable
great work notaz!

Further testing revealed that the No Sound problem with Golden Sun was being caused by "accidental" underclocking :p . At 200 mhz it runs pretty decent :D . At 230 is great.

Also Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town, Fire Emblem , and (oh... my batteries died right now...) The Legend of Zelda the Minish Cap, all running smoothly. :)

One thing I did not test, and that gave me trouble with the previous release were the savestates, sometimes they just got randomly corrupted while saving. I'll test it's reliability as soon as I can.

Up 'til now, great!

Edit:
By the way, do you mind if we post about this at openXile? This is really good news but I don't know if you are completely happy with this release.

I hardly ever post here, but I do read the RSS feed. The only reason I even bought my GP2X in the first place was for emulation. I will most definitely be using this, and am thankful to notaz and all the authors who have made the GP2X the best emulation handheld out there.

Apart from emulators and roms, the only things on my SD card are PrBoom, The Minigame Project and Battlejewels.

Nice work notaz, I always wonder if you did something magical to make it faster (save for fixing up the mmuhack stuff) or if people are just more tolerant of it now.

ok, first of all, thank you for the new version. Yes, i'm still interested on the gp2x and of course i'll be using this for a long time. i'll be testing this during the weekend. I tried it with astroboy omega factor already, It had some stutering on the previous version, now it seems to be gone most of the time with the following settings:
frameskip: automatic
value: 2
variation: random
audio buffer: 2048
@230mhz

I'm using open2X firmware.

I think SuperJamie posted exactly my sentiments -

I hardly ever post here, but I do read the RSS feed. The only reason I even bought my GP2X in the first place was for emulation. I will most definitely be using this, and am thankful to notaz and all the authors who have made the GP2X the best emulation handheld out there.

Couldn't have put it better myself!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Would have been glad to use this, but unfortunately ive sold my gp2x :)

i do use my gp32 yet though.... :p (but i guess gba would be too high for it)

Awesome work notaz! :D
This emulator works better than previous version and the software scaling is amazing.
All games I've tested works great (Crash Bandicoot 1-2, Tekken...) with oc 250 i get 45-60 fps.
All games works fine for me.
Is it possible in the future a fullspeed gba emulator on our gp2x?

Wow, excellent!

I don't know if it's the ram timing but now it run Super Monkey Ball Jr and Asterix&obelix XXL fullspeed, superb. :p

Also, Ozzy&Drix seem to run smoother.

I will definitely be using this new version. I still prefer gp2x for emulation over any other handheld. Thanks notaz!

Thanks Notaz, I will be using it too. I doubt I will stop using my 2x anytime soon (even after I get my Pandora, I still use my GP32 too ;) ).

Back