Gps Units For The Pandora

zombiesatemygoldfish

Still Fresh
Any one know of any brands that should work with the Pandora?

Im looking into getting into Geocaching and this could work really well with it.

I got a Blumax GPS-4012 which should work fine.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GPS_Reviews is a handy page.

Look at the pandora wiki for compatible hardware list. It may be on there.
If it's a BT gps, then it's just a matter of drivers...

Get a BlueTooth GPS based on either the Sirf star III chipset or the MTK chipset. E.g. Holux, or that keyring GPS wich I don't remember the name of. They should work out-of-the-box (no drivers needed, just the usual Linux Bluez stack. NMEA protocol will be understood either by gprsd (a daemon) or directly by application.) Check that it's got at least 30 channels, and check how long the battery lasts. These days you should be able to find one with around 20 hours at least.

I am waiting until I have a Pandora in my hands before I go looking for a GPS for it.
If I had bought one in anticipation of when I first expected the Pandora to be delivered, the unit would be out of warranty by now.
Also, the price would have dropped significantly & there are now better models available.
Until then, I must suffer with the 10 years out of date maps in my iQue 3600.

Is there already a nice route planner which would work for the Pandora together with a GPS (something like TomTom or Google Maps)? Also how about something for geocaching? That would be cool... :)

Emnasut said:
Is there already a nice route planner which would work for the Pandora together with a GPS (something like TomTom or Google Maps)? Also how about something for geocaching? That would be cool... :)

you can check navit for route planning and tangogps to show bitmap maps and gps data (I believe it should work well for geocaching, but I've never actually done it).

Last edited by a moderator:
navit's not that good for route planning.

i'm going to work on GPS apps once I get my Pandora. If I'd gotten it 2 years ago I would have had plenty of time to write some nice software, but I've started and finished an entire master's degree since I ordered, and now I'm going to be working 40 hrs/wk and have a lot less time to write Pandora apps.

oh well.

Back