Anyone used the pandora for Geocaching?

myNewUsername

Because the pandora is nice and portable, and geocaching requires just that - has anyone tried it?

I have placed a few caches, and used the pandora only for taking notes but the potential is bigger. For example locating caches (usb/BT GPS receiver), calculating a position from several measurings, uploading to geocaching service etc.

I have an external GPS, but it seems i need to port SW for it to work so for me it has not replaced the cellphone+app for locating caches.

so has anyone else explored this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching

I'd guess from the responses, not really.  I have a bluetooth GPS receiver somewhere, though I've only found the battery for it so far when looking!

For geocaching, don't you need an internet connection though?  Or it is still possible to do all of that offline, only reporting online when you get back to camp?

In terms of software, I believe there are mapping apps which are reported to work with bluetooth GPS recievers, if memory serves.

I really wonder if the psp dongle works on linux 

gps.jpg

I seen them for pretty cheap money already. 

For geocaching, don't you need an internet connection though?
You only need an internet connection to download the cache information, and then again later if you want to report that you found it but that's optional.While searching you can use an internet connection to display map information if you want, but you don't have to: two dots on a grid and the cache clue is all you really need.

I did manage to find an old USB GPS that I keep meaning to get working on the Pandora but I keep getting distracted by other things, like reddit and tumblr. I know all the pieces are there, we've got GPS drivers and Navit and you can manually download the cache information from the various forums: it'd be really nice if there were a convenient app for doing everything for you, like c:geo on Android, but as far as I know there's nothing open source.

edit: actually I'm a doof, I just checked and c:geo IS open source.

Not that it would really help since it's for Android, not Linux, but it'd be a place to start if someone wanted to port a geocache tool

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used before my Pandora to connect to a bluetooth gps and it worked. So, yeah, should be no issue.

That is interesting. Did you get it to work with any software? I just saw that opkg could not find a gpsd package wich is needed for QtPositioning, and figured it will be easier waiting for the pyra (Debian yay).

Just some sw where i can see my current position and add waypoints to a map would be nice.

For geocaching, don't you need an internet connection though?
You only need an internet connection to download the cache information, and then again later if you want to report that you found it but that's optional.While searching you can use an internet connection to display map information if you want, but you don't have to: two dots on a grid and the cache clue is all you really need.I did manage to find an old USB GPS that I keep meaning to get working on the Pandora but I keep getting distracted by other things, like reddit and tumblr. I know all the pieces are there, we've got GPS drivers and Navit and you can manually download the cache information from the various forums: it'd be really nice if there were a convenient app for doing everything for you, like c:geo on Android, but as far as I know there's nothing open source.edit: actually I'm a doof, I just checked and c:geo IS open source.Not that it would really help since it's for Android, not Linux, but it'd be a place to start if someone wanted to port a geocache tool
*will check out c:geo. I have some spare time these days, and im making something like this myself. Its not usable yet, but its a toolbox in c++/qt for geocaching usecases. I read on geocaching.com that their API is not made available to just anyone, so i am using 'pocket queries' (.gpx) files. That feels unnecessary but is not too much of hassle.

Thinking of it, i am kindof suprised i have not seen more gps-experimenting in this forum.

Thinking of it, i am kindof suprised i have not seen more gps-experimenting in this forum
I always planned to, but never got around to getting a GPS module to try with the Pandy; that's a good thing about the Pyra, it'll have one inside :) Just hope I get the time to put together my location-aware program

I´d love to use my Pandora as a.. hmm Bike computer? But there is the problem with no useable Software for that. The only thing that this Software has to do is produce a gpx file of all the Sensors connected, like GPS, HRM and maybe cadence. I know that Garmin etc do that, but I really would love to do that with my Pandora. 

But then again, you would need the software and a ANT+ or Bluetooth 4 dongle that works... so that dream is quite likely to be just a dream :D  

Back