Gpmuzic - Beta 0.1

The Wub

no talent, silly haircut
Website
www.wublog.co.uk
http://www.thewub.mistral.co.uk/GPMuzic.zip

from the readme:

GPMuzic is a 16-step loop sequencer with up to 16 tracks assignable to 16 user loaded samples. Currently it still uses the official SDK audio functions so expect glitchiness of the highest standards.

I have included support for sample rates from 22.05khz 8-bit mono up to 44.1 16-bit Stereo and multiple cpu speeds selectable within the app.

The demo samples use 22.05khz 16-bit mono at 80Mhz cpu speed. This seems to be a nice setup that gives 2-3 note polyphony without glitching too much.

Please note that this is a beta and as such has lots of things missing or not working.

Enjoy! :)

I haven't tried it yet. In fact, I have just seen the topic.

But I am already excited!

WUB :wub:
----

OK I have now tried it :D Works even better than i thought it would!

A few initial thoughts: it would be nice if the cursor moved one to the right when you pressed A instead of staying in the same place.

it would also be handy if it created a new bar automatically when you pressed A on the last slot of the current one, and moved into it.

Also the font is a bit hard to read. Other than that it looks amazing, especially for the first version :wub:

--later...--

Also, it worries me a bit that loading a song can change the speed of your GP32. What if a song made it go at 166 and your non-overclockable GP32 died? :unsure:

And it would be helpful if the "Load sample" thing jumped to the first empty bank too :lol:

It's very difficult to make samples that work with GP32 :(

Hi all :)

I must admit I hadn't considered the potential overclocking problem.. :rolleyes:

As it goes, I've just checked my code and it seems as if the cpu rate isn't saved after all, so no need to worry, yet. I will put this back in unless I get lots of people asking me not to.

Taras, lots of good ideas. I'll see what I can do.
I don't know about auto-creating the next bar if you are at the last beat, but I was going to make it so you could just move to the next bar this way if it already exists.

Keep the ideas coming if you have them, even if they don't get included permanently they can still be given a try. :)

Wub.

Nice one Wub! Definately has potential.

A few suggestions:

1 - "Edit Track" needs a volume property to control the sample volume, or volumes could be assigned to note triggers in the pattern.

2 - A song sequencer so you can write the order of patterns to be played.
- This could maybe play two or more patterns at once (ie a bassdrum / snare pattern (patt #1) and a hat pattern (patt #2) could be played at the same time, allowing for easy song construction.

3 - A "Noteoff" trigger to cause the current sample on that track to stop playing.

4 - Maybe note pitches?

5 - Track Pan?

Up until now I have been using LSDJ and Nanoloop on fGB to make music on the GP32 but fGB's sound routines aren't 100% perfect yet (some ST/c64 trackers are work nicely too) This program looks like it might be pretty groovy with a little more work, Keep up the good work!

Nobody thought of porting fasttracker/protracker?

hey KidQuaalude,what st7c64 trackers are using?do they work well
i've been really looking forward to making music on my gp32,gonna try it now!

fruityloops style is possible ( gfx ? ) ;)

not just a joke, nice work , i love that.
i'm a fruityloops user and i think your tracker is a good start :)

:D

COOL! :D
Will it be possible to save it to some common fileformat (like .it or .sid ?), so that you can listen to your songs somewhere else than on your GP32?

wow this one is fun. I can't read notes nor play an instrument nor am I inetrested in music, but this one is fun... so some feedbakc from me:

1. the font is weird to read

2. waiting till a button is released would ease up the controll in the menus, cause I need some time to hit the right option

3. sometimes it does not respond (loading times?)

4. when i load a song and press start no music, why that?

5. how to make my own samples?

6. save in a common song format?

7. more colors :)

yes,saving would be great.that way you could create a loop,save it,and load it as a sample in one of the tracks.and panning would also be uselful.plus,u have to work abit with the interface,make the buttons more responsive i think,but it's a grea start!can't wait for updates

Great feedback, thankyou :)
I'm glad the general opinion is good!

Basically, everything that's been mentioned is going to be included (read attempted) so all I can say is look forward to regular updates.

There is some general weirdness in the load/save code, I'm kind of on it, and the controls are being tweeked constantly. I'll try different settings from release to release until we're all happy :)

The download doesn't work.... just when I'm going to download it!

hmmm, should be ok. Just tested it and it's ok here....

Don't know what to say about that one :blink:

oh,also it would be useful to be able to preview the sound files before using them.how's the new version coming?

Back