GP2X Gpl Question About Sdl

Shikaku

ROFL THE WORD PENIS IS HILARIOUS!
USA... I feel lonely, not that many people from US
Website
Visit site
I have a question about making a project for the GP2X but not limited to the GP2X:

I am thinking about making a game. The mechanics for the game are already in my mind (with code!), and I have my plans kind of already, but I was just wondering about using SDL for portability.

I plan on keep it closed source until I either abandon my project or it was nearing its final changes/fixes. I was just wondering if this was possible...

This will be my first game project, and I plan to start in the very near future, but basically I wanted to ask this to see what system I should use =)

As long as you don't static link in the SDL libs, you don't need to share your source. It's LGPL, not GPL.

So how exactly do you dynamically link SDL for GP2X binaries? As far as I'm concerned, I paid for my unit and its devkit, so I'm entitled to use it as I see fit (not commercially though).

- Alex

Alex. posted on Jul 4 2006 at 02:16 PM said:
So how exactly do you dynamically link SDL for GP2X binaries? As far as I'm concerned, I paid for my unit and its devkit, so I'm entitled to use it as I see fit (not commercially though).

- Alex
Actaully not. SDL is under a very specific license which I believe allows it to be sold. So that means even if you 'brought' it, you still have to follow the license. AFAIK, the Devkits are free as well as you can obtain the kit without buying the unit, so I am not sure where you brought it from.

Note that you only have to release the source if you statically link to the libraries and release the executable.

Don't use -static.

Last edited by a moderator:
dockthepod posted on Jul 4 2006 at 06:57 PM said:
As long as you don't static link in the SDL libs, you don't need to share your source. It's LGPL, not GPL.

Correct. It's spelt out pretty clearly here: http://www.libsdl.org/license-lgpl.php

If you do need to statically link, you can always use the 3 year offer to provide objects or source to people who have licenced your software - my understanding is that this is for the express purpose of them being able to re-link your program with newer versions of the SDL files; they wouldn't be able to take your own code or objects and rebuild them into something else.

They are also coming out with a "Commercial License" for version 1.3.

Interestingly, Loki games provided both statically linked and unsupported dynamically linked versions of their commercial ports, and nobody seemed upset by that. Presumably this was to satisfy the re-linking clause.

Does anyone know if it's possible to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to use a version of the hardware SDL libraries?

Last edited by a moderator:
How would I go about dynamically linking the hw. accelerated SDL with devkitGP2X? For me it seems to be necessary to use the -static flag when using c++ and other libraries. This flag makes the compiler statically link all libraries. When I don't use -static my test programs would not run on the GP2X.

Is it somehow possible to specify dynamic or static linking on a per library basis?

If you really don't want to give away your source, offering the object (*.o) files is the best way to go on the GP2X.

Something else to consider is that it should be perfectly OK to continue to own the assets of your project, as in the art, scripting, music, etc. and just Open Source the engine itself. Essentially you'll be selling the game assets and not the engine. If someone else makes something using your engine or parts of it, you're helping the community out too.

Oh, I didn't know that was how it worked. I'm the author of Project 0 2X, and I didn't static link the SDL libs... at least I don't think I did. So I don't have to release the source code either? ..Not like I've gotten any requests since the initial demo release anyway..

If you static linked the SDL libs, you might have to at least provide the .o object files (ie, what would be necessary to re-link it with a different version of SDL), and the source for the SDL you used. You don't have to provide your program source.

Back