GP2X Sdl Language Bindings

earth

Still Fresh
I would like to develop for the GP2x, and I have a question about languages. There are many language bindings for SDL (http://www.libsdl.org/languages.php).
Can one code in any of those languages and then it will run on the GP2x?

I've coded an SDL game in eiffel for linux/windows/mac, and was wondering if I would just have to recompile the whole thing to get it working or if this is a lot of work.

I don't know for sure, but I would think that as long as you can cross-compile your code for Linux/ARM9 you should be ok. Interpreted languages may be SOL, though. That might be a bit much for this machine.

Ravnos posted on Sep 24 2005 at 04:55 PM said:
I don't know for sure, but I would think that as long as you can cross-compile your code for Linux/ARM9 you should be ok. Interpreted languages may be SOL, though. That might be a bit much for this machine.

Ok, then I'll try as soon as I get my GP2x :) And because Eiffel is translatet to C first, there shouldn't be a problem to compile it for ARM I hope.

@iignotus: What's wrong with Eiffel?

Last edited by a moderator:
earth posted on Sep 25 2005 at 09:25 AM said:
@iignotus: What's wrong with Eiffel?
Nothing, I would imagine -- I don't know eiffel. However, it's not popular or very widely supported (even though I think it can work with C libraries, no?), and you don't every day hear that someone programs in eiffel.

So why do you?

iignotus posted on Sep 25 2005 at 03:45 PM said:
Nothing, I would imagine -- I don't know eiffel. However, it's not popular or very widely supported (even though I think it can work with C libraries, no?), and you don't every day hear that someone programs in eiffel.

So why do you?

Yes, the lack of popularity, support and good tools is the main problem of Eiffel in my opinion. But the language itself is rather nice I think. It's strictly object oriented, and was one of the first to have that I think. It's also quite easy to use, and if you use the language's concepts you will safe a lot of time debugging *g* (I'm doing a game in C++ as well, and spent quite some time hunting bugs that wouldn't have occured in Eiffel *g*).
But the main reason I used Eiffel for the game is because I had to :) We had to code a game in Eiffel for a course at the university.

Back