Gpl Dictionary/translation Software

Rayek

Recovering Sega Addict
I'll be taking a Russian course this fall, continuing through spring of '09 and was wondering if anyone knew of a good or reliable OSS dictionary/translation software for ARM that would be pretty easy to port once we get these things in our hands. I tried searching for one and wasn't able to find anything worth noting, at least anything ported to ARM.

It seems that english-to-russian and russian-to-english dictionary program will be the first thing I will start to do when I will have pandora in my hands. I already make one for PC/windows, and it works fine for me and my friends and some other users
(it's here - http://alex-zatv.narod.ru/mDict/index.html , but this page is on russian. btw,exe-file is only 9kb, it is very small for windows)

As for translation software, usually it generate not very good texts, so I don't use them. For example you can look at result of automatical translation from russian to english: example Sometimes it is good, sometimes bad.

I thought about porting stardict myself if nobody else will port any good dictionary ;)

(and yes, I'm waiting for pre-orders)

Using the Pandora as a dictionary / translator has been brought up at least once. The thread turned into a shouting match almost immediately and had to be locked (who knew that dictionary software was such a hot button topic?), but one good thing that came out of it was a link Svartalf posted to Mdictionary.

This seems like the perfect software for your needs. There are a ton of dictionary files that are compatible with Mdictionary, including English-Russian and Russian-English.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's kind of essential that the dictionary be compatible with dictionary files because I'm interested in translating to/from some other languages that might not have their 'own' dictionary, i.e. Icelandic to English, Irish to English, Welsh to English, etc. And/or just a normal dictionary would be kind of sweet, too.

The previous thread was suggesting not that Pandora could be used as a dictionary, but that it be marketed as one, and it was that that resulted in the ensuing flame war.

This thread is looking much more sensible and sedate.

This post should, however, be taken as a warning not to suggest that Pandora be marketed as a dictionary here. That aside, let the suggestions for dictionary programs continue, since it's something I'll be interested in getting on there too!

Hmmm. I wouldn't have even thought of that, to be completely honest :S

I was just looking at my schedule for next quarter and trying to figure out all the ways I could use the Pandora for school, and, among other things, it would be nice to have a dictionary...

To Chip:
That list is massive, I certainly hope that whatever dict. gets ported makes use of XDXF. One thing it lacks, though, is an Icelandic to English and vice-versa dictionary files...

Is there anywhere else on the internet that that might be hiding; is Mdict compatible with more or different dictionary files; or is the link you posted pretty much it for XDXF development?

Back