Time For Another Pandora Review?

So you ended up getting a Pandora with two working nubs before me eh? I feel like I'm on the end of bad karma for this one ;)

Exophase said:
So you ended up getting a Pandora with two working nubs before me eh? I feel like I'm on the end of bad karma for this one ;)
Wait, did MDave buy two? I thought he only got one and sold his place to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
Exophase said:
Wait, did MDave buy two? I thought he only got one and sold his place to you.

I managed to get into the first batch list at the last second, and shortly after that I emailed Jaq to make it a 1 nub Pandora :p

I don't know if the nubs are working as they are supposed to, but in XFCE they seem to work fine, just in Quakes they play up (which I think is due to software, as I mentioned before) :p Would be nice if someone who ordered a normal fully working one tell me if its any different for them! :p

Yeah Exophase, it's kinda funny how its worked out! I didn't switch orders around if thats what your thinking! :lol:

MDave said:
I managed to get into the first batch list at the last second, and shortly after that I emailed Jaq to make it a 1 nub Pandora :p
Alright, I'll let you go this time, but I'm watching you... :ph34r:
:p
Seriously, I was thinking you had actually managed to buy one of the 1-nubs rather than just skip the queue, and I was gonna be all "hey, if he can do that, why can't I?" :p
I wouldn't mind a second Pandora, even if one of the nubs didn't work (although it looks like they're all coming back from the dead in one form or another)

MDave said:

I don't know if the nubs are working as they are supposed to, but in XFCE they seem to work fine, just in Quakes they play up (which I think is due to software, as I mentioned before) :p Would be nice if someone who ordered a normal fully working one tell me if its any different for them! :p

Yeah Exophase, it's kinda funny how its worked out! I didn't switch orders around if thats what your thinking! :lol:

Truthfully I'm relieved, I felt a little guilty getting yours.

MDave said:
Quake 2 runs perfectly fine, need some more nub settings though! Deadzone is too small for me, and accleration is too high, it feels like a digital stick at times :p Quake 3 runs pretty good, though there is room for optimizing! Nub settings in here would be nice too. ioquake3 has what appears to be depth sorting problems, seems like it could be fixed pretty easy somewhere in the code. Performance seems slower then the normal Quake 3 port. Might be worth taking a look at the n900 port! ;)

XFCE is a blast to mess around in :) Trying to customize what applications to show on the panel (taskbar for you windows only guys) but having limited success.

I'm 100% happy with my purchase, and I wish Open Pandora all the best in making this a major product for the masses. Make millions of these things quick! It certainly has the potential, if the OS is tighten up a bit and it is easier to get games and apps.

Why don't you boot into Minimenu :angry:

I pretty much designed that and did the art for it, Skeezix did the superfast coding and had ideas there as well. It is much faster to boot into and load apps and you don't need to fumble with the stylus always. You can always dump into XFCE from there. Well anyways to each his own I guess.

I agree about Quake2 I didn't even think they were in analog mode. I press 1/2 a mm and the movement is full speed. Some better nub scaling is needed.

fusion_power said:
I guess it's because of to many paint at the wrong places, OPT can't do much there. Maybe removing the paint so the bezel fit like it would be with an unpainted piece. maybe the Factory can cover backsides and sensitive connection parts better in the future, who knows. ^^""
DaveC sayed it's not a design issue. OK, he has designed the case so I guess I can trust him there. :)

It is only a design issue in the fact that I didn't think we were going to paint the units originally. I would like to do a few mold revisions to accommodate the paint. I don't think that will happen for a very long time though as that would cause delays.

DaveC said:
MDave said:
Quake 2 runs perfectly fine, need some more nub settings though! Deadzone is too small for me, and accleration is too high, it feels like a digital stick at times :p Quake 3 runs pretty good, though there is room for optimizing! Nub settings in here would be nice too. ioquake3 has what appears to be depth sorting problems, seems like it could be fixed pretty easy somewhere in the code. Performance seems slower then the normal Quake 3 port. Might be worth taking a look at the n900 port! ;)

XFCE is a blast to mess around in :) Trying to customize what applications to show on the panel (taskbar for you windows only guys) but having limited success.

I'm 100% happy with my purchase, and I wish Open Pandora all the best in making this a major product for the masses. Make millions of these things quick! It certainly has the potential, if the OS is tighten up a bit and it is easier to get games and apps.

Why don't you boot into Minimenu :angry:

I pretty much designed that and did the art for it, Skeezix did the superfast coding and had ideas there as well. It is much faster to boot into and load apps and you don't need to fumble with the stylus always. You can always dump into XFCE from there. Well anyways to each his own I guess.

I agree about Quake2 I didn't even think they were in analog mode. I press 1/2 a mm and the movement is full speed. Some better nub scaling is needed.

Oh I do use Minimenu! It's great and I use it now and then, but if there was a way to download new games and apps within Minimenu itself, it would be perfect. It took me quite a lengthy amount of time to figure out where to get them, where to install them, etc. I know thats coming in the form of the Appstore that craig's working on, so this will all be even better in time :D A standalone app that could pull down the apps instead of using a full web browser is even better.

MDave said:
Oh I do use Minimenu! It's great and I use it now and then, but if there was a way to download new games and apps within Minimenu itself, it would be perfect. It took me quite a lengthy amount of time to figure out where to get them, where to install them, etc. I know thats coming in the form of the Appstore that craig's working on, so this will all be even better in time :D A standalone app that could pull down the apps instead of using a full web browser is even better.
I was joking and being sarcastic about the MM thing :p Hope you didn't take offence.

In the beginning I used XFCE too. I thought I was "missing something". I found myself using MM to play games 90% of the time and using XFCE 10% of the time to do maintenance so I switched to booting MM.

There are override pics and icons around that I did too. You may want to look at those. I find the default ones kind of ugly mostly. I found having the preview pic separate loads MUCH faster too.

I tend to download and install from my PC to the SD though. No WIFI spot for me most of the time.

Back