Gph Caanoo Tv Out Solution Test

andymanone

Website
korg.radias.de
Here you can see a short demonstration of Caanoo´s TV-Out:

(to make it possible, i´ve used a selfmade cable and a special
TV out tool from GPH)

(Good decision: NTSC and PAL now available :) !(for the Wiz only NTSC <_< ) )

Gtx.,
andY

Last edited by a moderator:
andymanone said:

TV out tool from GPH)

Gtx.,
andY
Am I right that PAL cannot encode NTSC's colors?

:SaS:*rbusa said:
Am I right that PAL cannot encode NTSC's colors?

Most of actually TV sets are able to work with NTSC or PAL sources.
(But often i use a little older Philips CRT Monitor for my retro computers and consoles,
and this one can ony works with pal.)

BR,
andY

SiENcE said:
Is the TVTool on the Caanoo, or where did you get it?

Hi SiENcE,
no its not included in the Caanoo Firmware (which is shown on the video, is a tool
i got it from GPH)

But don´t afraid, after the official Caanoo launch, this tool will be available for everybody :)

BR,
andY

Ok, but the screen is 320x240. So, is the nativ output resolution NTSC : 720x480, PAL : 720x576 or is it 320x240 -> scaled Up to -> 720x576 by TVOut chip?

I fail to see how native resolution has anything to do with anything. If I buy a gfx card I don't care if the max resolution it can do is 2.5kX1.6k (or so). So yeah, if it can spit out that resolution on the tv-out it should be 'real'. If not I'll declare myself living in the 90's.

Normally the framebuffer is copied directly to tvout chipset. This chipset scales the image to the right size PAL/NTSC (+overscan).

Only the newest consoles like ps3 and xbox360 can render internally such high resolutions. Thats why they can output 480p, 720p, 1080p. Every other pre-nexgen consoles render internally a lower size (PS: Video output resolution: variable from 256x224 to 1280x1024 pixels). But 1280x1024 i meant only interlaced. So they render only 512lines and only in Grad Tourismo 4.

klikklak said:
I fail to see how native resolution has anything to do with anything. If I buy a gfx card I don't care if the max resolution it can do is 2.5kX1.6k (or so). So yeah, if it can spit out that resolution on the tv-out it should be 'real'. If not I'll declare myself living in the 90's.

Funny post!

Though I'd argue native resolution has EVERYTHING to do with development + cross-platformability.

But you might not care. Heh

SiENcE said:
Normally the framebuffer is copied directly to tvout chipset. This chipset scales the image to the right size PAL/NTSC (+overscan).

Only the newest consoles like ps3 and xbox360 can render internally such high resolutions. Thats why they can output 480p, 720p, 1080p. Every other pre-nexgen consoles render internally a lower size (PS: Video output resolution: variable from 256x224 to 1280x1024 pixels). But 1280x1024 i meant only interlaced. So they render only 512lines and only in Grad Tourismo 4.

Right, but the SOC is fairly recent so I'm surprised if it doesn't support VGA-level resolutions internally. And what makes tv-out/composite special? I mean, it's just a output port, sure capped by the cable, but ok for the levels we're getting.

and the consoles before current gen are something like 8 years old now? mostly before there was a need for HD for something that's plugged in to a tv.

EDIT: +1 for andy for this post and the others you've done.

Sorry if it's obvious already, but how was this connected? Standard RCA or S-video or component or what?

Also, that plug looks like... A Samsung phone adapter? Is it the same? Sorry, new to all this.

Hi kanamycin.

Yeah, it's RCA no s-video unfortunately.

Yes, it's a plug used in many Samsung and LG phones.

Look here.

andymanone said:

TV out tool from GPH)

Gtx.,
andY

Will GPH actually be making a TV-OUT cable for the caanoo? Are the pinouts the same as the GP2X, the Wiz, or entirely different? It's sort of sad that there's no support for TV-OUT on the wiz. :[

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
Will GPH actually be making a TV-OUT cable for the caanoo? Are the pinouts the same as the GP2X, the Wiz, or entirely different? It's sort of sad that there's no support for TV-OUT on the wiz. :[

It looks like they actually will, but what they have displayed is...confusing.
http://fungp.com/product/accessory.asp

accessory04.jpg

It looks like a Caanoo port male end and a USB male end, how is that supposed to work?

Back