Gpfce (Nes Emulator) Volume Tweak

HunterZ

Attached is a tweaked version of the fceu binary for GPFCE compiled with topor's openwiz toolchain package, and based on the source code on dl.openhandhelds.org. Here are the changes I made:
  • FCEU (software) and Wiz (hardware) volumes now both change in parallel, instead of fixing the FCEU volume at 70-80% and changing only the Wiz volume. This allows for much quieter volume levels and finer granularity of volume control at the low end of the volume range.
  • Offset Wiz hardware volume by 4 for levels greater than zero, because anything lower than 5 is apparently silent.
  • Volume display is now "Volume XXX%" instead of a fake bar.
  • Removed delay before responding to volume controls (made it hard to hit a specific volume level).
  • Slower volume change rate (makes it easier to hit specific volume levels).
  • Compiled with -mcpu=arm926ej-s instead of -mcpu=arm920t for potentially better optimization (not that it's needed, as it already ran at 60fps for me at the default 533MHz).

Note that the attached zip file contains just the fceu binary, so you'll want to download the full GPFCE package and drop this tweaked version over the top of it.

Volume control works great, BUT...all games i tried have jerky frame rate, and when i exit the emulator and start the normal version of Gpfc it's still jerky until the next reboot.
What am I doing wrong?

Not sure. Are you using an INI file to launch it? If so, try using the LAUNCHER icon on the Wiz home screen to run the GPE instead of using the INI.

If that's not the issue, then maybe check your GPE file to see if you're inadvertently launching another process that is running in the background.

Just tryied it now.
I renamed your file to fceu.gpe and startet it directly without ini, but still jerky.
It also crashed my wiz when i tryed to exit the emulator.

Strange. I'm not able to replicate this issue, so I wouldn't know where to start on trying to fix it.

Maybe I'll try building it with the official Wiz toolchain.

Edit: What clock speed do you have set in the emulator options?

Edit 2: I've attached a version of the binary built from the same source but using the official GPH Wiz toolchain instead of torpor's openwiz toolchain package. I haven't tested it, but it should work.

CPU clock speed is set to 150Mhz. I think that's default, haven't changend anything.
I'm sorry to say, but it is still jerky, plus the sound is all stuttery now.
I'm on firmware 1.2.6. Don't know if it has something to do with that.

I would like to see someone else commenting on this issue. I can't be the only one who tried this:)

Ah, that's the problem! The default Wiz CPU clock is 533MHz, and that's the default GPFCE setting as well. Try cranking up the emulator back up to 533MHz and you should be good to go with either version that I posted.

Working good so far, the volume control was so annoying, very usefull, thank you :)

Just came to say THANK YOU:)
For some reason i tought the default cpu setting was 150 Mhz.
It works now with the first file you uploaded.

Lithium337 said:
Just came to say THANK YOU:)
For some reason i tought the default cpu setting was 150 Mhz.
It works now with the first file you uploaded.
Glad to hear you got it working.

To anyone wondering: the first file I uploaded is probably the better one to use, as the openwiz toolchain probably generates more optimized code due to the fact that it uses a newer version of a lot of tools and libraries than does the official GPH Wiz toolchain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back