Gpengine At 166 Mhz

GA01

Website
Visit site
Does anybody else have issues with running GPEngine at 166 MHz. Seems to run fine for a while then crashes (i.e Rtype and Gradius). Runs fine at 133 MHz but just curious as to why it crashes as I have a 166 MHz unit. Is this common?

Also, is it possible to extend the length of characters for a game name? (looks like an 8 character limit).

:)

cant help you with the first question, there's really no need to go to 166 mhz on GPengine unless you have problems with games that have alot of flashing going on.

You can get around the 8 char limit by getting yourself a card reader. I'd highly recommend it, and they are really cheap on ebay. I got myself a 7 in 1 reader and it's great, so much faster than transferring files the old fashioned way.

KickinWing posted on Mar 29 2005 at 01:59 PM said:
You can get around the 8 char limit by getting yourself a card reader. I'd highly recommend it, and they are really cheap on ebay. I got myself a 7 in 1 reader and it's great, so much faster than transferring files the old fashioned way.

I've got a card reader but I think it may be a limitation of the software. I hope it can be changed, as sometimes it is difficult to see which game has been selected.

It's a shame that USB transfer only allows 8 chars as I prefer this method (not having to disconnect card reader each time and then insert the SMC in and out of the GP32. I'm sure that can't be too good for the card.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
GA01 posted on Mar 29 2005 at 01:38 PM said:
KickinWing posted on Mar 29 2005 at 01:59 PM said:
You can get around the 8 char limit by getting yourself a card reader.  I'd highly recommend it, and they are really cheap on ebay.  I got myself a 7 in 1 reader and it's great, so much faster than transferring files the old fashioned way.

I've got a card reader but I think it may be a limitation of the software. I hope it can be changed, as sometimes it is difficult to see which game has been selected.

It's a shame that USB transfer only allows 8 chars as I prefer this method (not having to disconnect card reader each time and then insert the SMC in and out of the GP32. I'm sure that can't be too good for the card.

Thanks

it doesnt like spaces - take the spaces out of the names!

and yep - gpengine runs fine at 133mhz....

theres no need to run it at 166mhz it makes the games run faster than the original pc engine!!!

some games just do crash at any speed!

ive never gotten jakie chan action kung fu to run

tried three dumps !!!

if anyone has got it to work let me know!

sPaCe :D

KickinWing posted on Mar 29 2005 at 12:59 PM said:
cant help you with the first question, there's really no need to go to 166 mhz on GPengine unless you have problems with games that have alot of flashing going on.

It's not just the flashing, games just play better at frameskip 0 and you need to be running at 166Mhz for the games to play full speed at frameskip 0.

IN answer to the question, maybe a problem with your GP32, as my NLU GP32 runs PC Engine fine at 166Mhz.

I hope there isn't a problem with my GP32 (only just got one). Seems to play DrMD fine although it does crash more often when Mame GP32 is set to 166MHz whereas, I haven't noticed any problems yet running 133 MHz.

Removed the spaces for the GPEngine roms but didn't make any difference. Not a real problem as I can still play the games ok. Thanks anyway.

ive never gotten jakie chan action kung fu to run

Is the game actually called "Jackie Chan Action Kung-Fu". I think I may have tried a game called "Kung-Fu" which at the time, thought was "Kung-Fu Master". If I come across anything, I'll let you ;).

Maybe you unit is a bit unstable at 166mhz, have you tried overclocking it further?

Anyways, yes 166mhz is nice to use with GPengine, since the games are much smoother with 60fps.

About the cardreader... I can't use mine since it produced some strange errors on my smc. It seems to work fine at first, but then the smcs start to loose data without freeing the memory. It can be fixed by formating inside the gp32.
With the normal PClink this doesn't happen....
You could try GPdrive (a little programm that turns your gp32 into a cardreader) though, it probably works just as the PCLINK, but is supposed to be faster.

Kung Fu is totally different from jackie Chan, and kung fu i don't think was released for the tg-16. I have not been able to get Jackie Chan working on GPEngine either, it was released though for NES, but i haven't tried it.

Julius posted on Mar 29 2005 at 04:26 PM said:
Maybe you unit is a bit unstable at 166mhz, have you tried overclocking it further?

I haven't yet as I was a bit unsure about overclocking although others have suggested it is fine to do so. I would have thought that if 166 MHz was unstable, anything above and beyond would be worse. AFAIK, I purchased a dedicated 166 MHz so expected everything to run at this speed. What I am unsure about is whether it is the hardware or software that is causing this problem.

KickinWing posted on Mar 29 2005 at 03:27 PM said:
Kung Fu is totally different from jackie Chan, and kung fu i don't think was released for the tg-16. I have not been able to get Jackie Chan working on GPEngine either, it was released though for NES, but i haven't tried it.

yep - its the nes version which makes me realy want to get this working! I have the original cart on my nes - dont know how it runs in littlejohn!

DO IT - its such a good game!

have found that ninja spirits is quite similar though - not as cute!

sPaCe :ph34r:

I have a BLU that runs at 166, but if the batteries are weak it will crash the game/emu. If you are using 1.2volt rechargeables, this could be your problem. Try a brand new set of Duracell or Energizer non rechargeables and see if it crashes then.

Pulstar posted on Mar 29 2005 at 05:24 PM said:
I have a BLU that runs at 166, but if the batteries are weak it will crash the game/emu. If you are using 1.2volt rechargeables, this could be your problem. Try a brand new set of Duracell or Energizer non rechargeables and see if it crashes then.

Yes, I am using 1.2v Uniross Rechargable 2100 mAh. I will purcahse some non-rechargable's to test.

Thanks

Yes, I am using 1.2v Uniross Rechargable 2100 mAh. I will purcahse some non-rechargable's to test.

Tested using my adapter and although games seem to run for longer it does eventually crash. When it does, a high pitch sound is heard and the GP32 then needs to be reset.

GA01 posted on Mar 30 2005 at 08:24 AM said:

Tested using my adapter and although games seem to run for longer it does eventually crash. When it does, a high pitch sound is heard and the GP32 then needs to be reset.

This just means that your unit is not truly able to go to 166 reliably. It isn't a true 166 Mhz capable unit. The ones that do will do it indefinetly.

Back