GPDWin and linux

Sebzy

Recently got my GPDWin x7-Z8700 so decided to get rid of win 10 and install Kali (Debian Jessie Kernel 4.6)

Storage : Working just installed using a dd iso to USB stick.
Mouse : Working
Keyboard : Working
EtherNet : Yes via USB cheap Chinese dongle
WiFi : Working (needed patching)
LCD : Half working (lots of issues see below)
HDMI Out : Half working but unstable
3D : Have to fix the LCD first
Touch : Not tested
Bluetooth : Not working
Sound : Not working

Screenshot : dmesg :
The LCD issue is the first one to tackle.
Have tried
1. Updating kernel to 4.8.0 but get absolutely no output on the lcd so went back to 4.6.0
2. Adding lcd_rotate=1 to the "/boot/config.txt" file but get no output
3. Adding display_rotate=1 to the "/boot/config.txt" file but get no output
4. xrandr -o right but this crashes X and is persistent through reboots.

Last edited:
Good progress! Pretty sure you'll be able to get rid of the rotating issue with some tweaking. I'm still waiting mine to be shipped :(
[doublepost=1479052874,1479052554][/doublepost]By the way, does its Wi-Fi card support packet injecting? That would be interesting!

Basically the same report I made with the prototype afew months ago.
Didn't get sound, rotation or battery info to work (didn't try 3D).
Touch worked out of the box.

That was with a stock Ubuntu image as live boot.
But without battery infos, sound or working rotation it wasn't really useful :)

Well I got init startup to rotate but still not my X session by adding "video=efifb fbcon=rotate:1" to grub then running update-grub
[doublepost=1479056352,1479054314][/doublepost]
Good progress! Pretty sure you'll be able to get rid of the rotating issue with some tweaking. I'm still waiting mine to be shipped :(
[doublepost=1479052874,1479052554][/doublepost]By the way, does its Wi-Fi card support packet injecting? That would be interesting!

Sorry out of the box airmon claims no support

Code:
Found 3 processes that could cause trouble.
If airodump-ng, aireplay-ng or airtun-ng stops working after
a short period of time, you may want to run 'airmon-ng check kill'

PID Name
  463 NetworkManager
  680 wpa_supplicant
  783 dhclient

PHY     Interface       Driver          Chipset
phy0    wlan0           brcmfmac        Broadcom Corporation BCM4356 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 02)

ERROR adding monitor mode interface: command failed: Operation not supported (-95)

Further then I got but then again I'm trying to get Mageia Linux 5 to work and It's UEFI support is alpha level. I'm hoping to get further when Mageia 6 is ready "hopefully this year" and yes that is now the official release date but then again the original expected date for it was in July.

Here's the lspci -vv for anyone else wanting to help or just playing along at home.

Sorry out of the box airmon claims no support

Code:
Found 3 processes that could cause trouble.
..snip..
You'll need to not be on wifi if you're trying to use the wifi chipset to packet sniff other activity. Those processes are designed to get you on wifi, and may hang around even if you're not connected. It should be safe to kill them if you're already not getting any network connectivity - that shouldn't hurt.

You'll need to not be on wifi if you're trying to use the wifi chipset to packet sniff other activity. Those processes are designed to get you on wifi, and may hang around even if you're not connected. It should be safe to kill them if you're already not getting any network connectivity - that shouldn't hurt.

Same result after killing those pids

Hmm, okay then, I'm out. It's saying those processes are running when they aren't according to a 'ps -ef'?
Oh no the first time I tested they were running but the second I took the time to kill off the pids.

Thank for the suggestion.

I'm probably too late wit this, but anyway: my GPD Win runs OK with a rotated screen using Debian Jessie. I had to take a few packages from jessie-backports:
linux-image-amd64, firmware-misc-nonfree, firmware-brcm80211, firmware-intel-sound, libgl1-mesa-dri and xserver-xorg-video-intel.
The GUI login is still sideways, but once I login the desktop is rotated using:

xrandr -o right
xinput set-prop 'Goodix Capacitive TouchScreen' 'Coordinate Transformation Matrix' 0 1 0 -1 0 1 0 0 1

This rotates both the LCD and the touchscreen.

I'm probably too late wit this, but anyway: my GPD Win runs OK with a rotated screen using Debian Jessie. I had to take a few packages from jessie-backports:
linux-image-amd64, firmware-misc-nonfree, firmware-brcm80211, firmware-intel-sound, libgl1-mesa-dri and xserver-xorg-video-intel.
The GUI login is still sideways, but once I login the desktop is rotated using:

xrandr -o right
xinput set-prop 'Goodix Capacitive TouchScreen' 'Coordinate Transformation Matrix' 0 1 0 -1 0 1 0 0 1

This rotates both the LCD and the touchscreen.
Good information. How about 3D and sound ? Do you have these working ?

Here I am, posting this once again. I have my Win pretty much good with linux. Had to build a custom kernel image for it though using Hans De Goede's work. Battery sensor seems to work, sound works, touchscreen rotates along with screen on Gnome but in xfce you need that xrandr command to rotate the touchscreen. Everything I tried seemed to work. Didn't mess with 3d or Bluetooth yet.

Edit: Fixed grammar issues.

http://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/17445.html

Last edited:
Back