GPD XD

For the price of the device and from the videos I've watched on it, I think this looks like possibly a neat little device. Once again it's not really going to be stepping too much on the toes of the Pyra ownerbase, but if turns out to be a capable Android device with decent gaming controls I can see it doing well for itself. It won't have the full range of capabilities of the Pandora/Pyra but it's aiming for a different audience. I do like the idea of a dedicated mapping tool built into the machine itself, I hope it works well!

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems Geekbuying and Willgooo now have stock of the GPD XD if anyone is interested.

Just got mine today. It is an absolutely amazing android device. Worth every penny of $130/$150 or whatever they are asking for it. I would have honestly paid $200+ for something like this had I known what I was getting.

Build quality and performance for retro gaming is outstanding. Controls are not quite Pandora quality, except the shoulder buttons, they are perfect, like Pandora dpad perfect. It's dpad is similar quality to like a 3ds which is acceptable. Joysticks are really nice, smooth, good feel. Feels good to hold, half the weight as the shield, curved bottom so it doesn't jab your palms or cramp your hands.

Battery is similar to the shield, 5-7 hours of actual gaming. Wifi is poor range, but fast transfers. Similar range to the Pandora stock wifi, acceptable... Solidly built, good quality material. Fantastic quality screen, way brighter than nessisary but can adjust down. Vivid colors, acceptable speakers, nice and loud. Volume can reach barely audible if needed. Storage and data transfers are a good speed. Doesn't get warm or hot even when charging.

Hinge locks in 90 and 160 degrees like a 3ds, no squeezing or wobble, hinge is way better than pandora in every area.

I will answer any questions you guys got. But this has my seal of approval. Kick ass retro gaming gear. 95/100

Just got mine today. It is an absolutely amazing android device. Worth every penny of $130/$150 or whatever they are asking for it. I would have honestly paid $200+ for something like this had I known what I was getting.

Build quality and performance for retro gaming is outstanding. Controls are not quite Pandora quality, except the shoulder buttons, they are perfect, like Pandora dpad perfect. It's dpad is similar quality to like a 3ds which is acceptable. Joysticks are really nice, smooth, good feel. Feels good to hold, half the weight as the shield, curved bottom so it doesn't jab your palms or cramp your hands.

Battery is similar to the shield, 5-7 hours of actual gaming. Wifi is poor range, but fast transfers. Similar range to the Pandora stock wifi, acceptable... Solidly built, good quality material. Fantastic quality screen, way brighter than nessisary but can adjust down. Vivid colors, acceptable speakers, nice and loud. Volume can reach barely audible if needed. Storage and data transfers are a good speed. Doesn't get warm or hot even when charging.

Hinge locks in 90 and 160 degrees like a 3ds, no squeezing or wobble, hinge is way better than pandora in every area.

I will answer any questions you guys got. But this has my seal of approval. Kick ass retro gaming gear. 95/100

Wow, sounds good, I have been hanging out to see it's like before jumping in .  So this has been helpful .    Thanks for the feedback.   Might have to check Geekbuying again, I think they have it for the cheapest when using there $10 coupon code.

How is ppsspp emulation without frameskip? How is retroarch running various emulators (pcsxrearmed, picodrive, gba, snes, with nice shaders)?

Retro arch doesn't detect the inputs on the xd, so can't check it. Been using the .emu from Robert B on the play store. I don't fault the XD for that, retro arch does weird direct input stuff instead of the key codes like most sane applications. Someone is going to have to send the authors an xd for it to be supported.

Ppsspp isn't bad, it's not perfect, small audio stutters without frame skip on some demanding games, with frame skip its fluid on the several games I tried. More than playable in my opinion. I would put it as comparable to nvidia shield portable, maybe a tad slower.

My focus is on 16 and 32 bit consoles, and for that it excels.

So what's the highest level of emulation this can run full speed without frame skip? N64?

Chris

Depends on the game, like locoroco runs full speed with no frame skip same with ff7 but they aren't that demanding.

N64 has its limits, like cookers runs slow, but Mario kart is flawless.

Is there a specific game and system you want a fps on? Setting the governor also effects the performance

Depends on the game, like locoroco runs full speed with no frame skip same with ff7 but they aren't that demanding.

N64 has its limits, like cookers runs slow, but Mario kart is flawless.

Is there a specific game and system you want a fps on? Setting the governor also effects the performance
Are we talking about setcpu performance governance?

yea, but there's others, performance, ondemand, conservative, etc etc etc. Performance runs the schedulers full throttle and gives the least stuttering and latency because the cpu is always active at the expense of lower battery life. Each has varied level of low latency and fluidity however major/minor it might be.

I prefer conservative, some like performance. SetCPU allows you to select among the built in governors, and I think it has some additional built in profiles, and allows you to set values manually if you want. 

Back