GPD XD

seems comparable quality to things like the gp2x, caanoo, wiz, pandora, dingoo etc. None of which were necessarily bad quality, just also not as good. Also not as bad as some other game handhelds of previous years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I skipped a little of the game testing.  I am surprised at how good it seems.  With all that empty surface area inside I think they should have found a way to make the dpad and buttons a bit larger.  

There are a few things I couldn't help thinking about and comparing with the Pyra.  I wonder if the Pyra display will be that nice.  I really want everything to work out with the Pyra lid adjustment like it did for the GPD XD, but with no squeeking.  I think the real reason this video was posted was for the 5GHz wifi comments. ;)

I had no interest in this, however if I was considering buying one this video would have gone a long way toward addressing many concerns I would have had.  I wonder if people are upset that it has no camera.  Thanks for posting it.  It looks pretty good.

I wish the Pyra would have sticks like that, instead of stupid nubs... Oh well...

The Pyra dont will have stupid Nubs.

They are magnetic based and much better as the Pandora Nubs.

I felt them on the Gamescom and they are realy much better :)

Nubs/joysticks looks to be the focus over dpad buttoncluster. If in the windsheild-pattern, i would have put them farther in.

Start select is in the wrong arrangement, in the wrong order.

ABXY _and_ alternative ABXY markings, (that are too small to be seen)...?       If you think the ABXY prints are optimal, dont do the exact same thing only smaller...

Would get louder speakers with more even frequency if they were up top, and also out of the way of hands.

Small sound element dispersion and big one, like on laptops, is easier than sound element- and sound element+

Symbols look a bit small.

Game Pad Digital. looked better, but i dont think the name is that good. "Digital Data Device 3D" is the best i could come up with.

Steam-controller and pandora-influence by the looks of it.

it looks to model after a 3ds xl way more than the pandora, almost being a direct clone of the closed form factor of one. I mean look at it when closed.. you honestly think it's a rip off of the pandora?

new3dsxl-06.jpg

20150727114341355.jpg

new3dsxl-07.jpg

20150727114345818.jpg

and iirc the pandora originally got a lot of it's design inspiration from the ds light

If they were to have targeted this as a bastard child of the 3ds xl and the pandora you'd think they would have swiped the idea of the excellent dpad as well in addition to 1 upping both devices with what appears to be nice set of real analog sticks and having some form of keyboard, which admittedly would have been just amazing.

They will put in a keyboard, bluetooth, camera, 5G WiFi, and a beefier SoC in the next revision. Not a fan of sparate L3/R3. Oh, and what about battery life? He didn't say anything about it.

They have at least the much better design than the bricky Pandora. It may be look like an DS but this doesn't have to be bad. It should fit good in the pockets at least.

They have at least the much better design than the bricky Pandora. It may be look like an DS but this doesn't have to be bad. It should fit good in the pockets at least.
It's easy to have a slimmer design when you are not trying to do as much as the Pandora... 

They will put in a keyboard, bluetooth, camera, 5G WiFi, and a beefier SoC in the next revision. Not a fan of sparate L3/R3. Oh, and what about battery life? He didn't say anything about it.
there was an annotation in one video that said 5-7 hours of "retro gaming" which seems about right based off the user quote of the q9 and it's mah battery and screen size.

It's easy to have a slimmer design when you are not trying to do as much as the Pandora... 
like joysticks?

there was a couple pictures floating around of a teardown that shown the pcb and battery, heatsink and whatnot looked around but couldn't bring it back up.

like joysticks?

Well I was more thinking about Full SD card slots,  keyboard, volume wheel... etc 
the thickness of the keyboard button and membrane is more or less equal to that of a gaming button and membrane or at least could be and still be functional. The card cages, keyboard and volume wheel sound like a pcb board space issue and more of a horizonal challenge rather than a verticle one. There appears to be tons of dead space where that stuff could have gone.

The thing in question though is the device's thickness... are any of those items really that thick? Even if stacked one on top of another, all of those things would be shadowed by the thickness added from a joystick.

Honestly, the user accessible battery in the pandora and it's plastic sandwich for it's slot I think is what's really hurting the pandora's thickness. It's a feature sure, but a costly feature in terms of bulk. The battery in the XD, even being more mah, has a thinner design but takes up more horizontal space, and it also has a connector on it's side rather than one of it's faces when it needs replaced. I think that's where the overall size was slimmed, not the lack of things like a sdcard cage or volume wheel.

Back