GP32 Gp32linux

The kernel mounts an initrd filesystem into the memory: any application into this filesystem can be executed from any type of card.
The development step now is to read-write mount the smc card from the initrd filesystem. This will allow to save/write data into the card and to execute application not already loaded into the memory (like a disk).
This step is difficult because I lack documentation about smc card and I need to do reverse engineering with existing 16-32-64... MB cards.
And I have few free time...
And help from other linux developers would be very welcomed...

After the smc driver, next step will be USB device connection and tiny X server port.

Toholl

hmmmmmmmm...

if you haven't already looked at it , you should check out mizi linux...it is for an embedded dev kit VERY similar to gp32...same cpu, lcd, etc...

it SHOULD have some kind of smc driver in it SOMEWHERE, becuase the kit they sell has an smc slot...

just a thought...

ingeras posted on May 15 2004 at 06:33 AM said:
they say : Support of serial, USB Port, CF-II, PCMCIA, MMC, SD and IrDA
Bear in mind, someone a while back tested MMCs with thir GP, and aparrently came up trumps. So it might still be somewhere to look. Would be a shame if it turned out you could *only* use MMCs with it, though...

Last edited by a moderator:
ingeras posted on May 15 2004 at 02:54 AM said:
in fact
i think it s there
http://www.mizi.com/developer/s3c2410x/Lin...e_chap_6_en.htm
http://www.mizi.com/developer/s3c2410x/index.html
but i dont know if the kernel source provided there include
the smart media driver ... :(

update
seems there is something :)

vivi/drivers/mtd/nand/smc_core.c:
* Based on linux/drivers/mtd/nand/smc.c
ftp://ftp.mizi.com/pub/linuette/SDK/1.5/t...ot/vivi.tar.bz2
:D

who is da man!? hahaha...

will that be usable? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks folks for your help.
Your links are interesting by I have already the same kind of source codes.
There are 3 difficulties:

#1: S3c2400 processor has no SMC controler, at the opposite of s3c2410. So I needed to create a raw interface with GPIO pins to communicate directly with the smc. And I had some access timing problems.

#2: I lack some smc documentation to understand 32 to 128MB card organization. This documentation is only reserved to smc forum members and I don't want to pay to be a member.

#3: I lack time to make development. So the project goes slow.

But I just solved some important difficulties and you will have a working read-only driver these next days.

Toholl

Thanks for you efforts Toholl.

I don't have enough skills to look at the code and fix it, but I could certainly try to cross-compile/tweak some applications and test them.

What would be very useful would be a USB driver, that could maybe emulate a serial port or provide some access to the GP, even if it is only in a ramdisk (I tried to mount a tmpfs and was able to write some files in it).

It would be great also if you could provide the config file for uClibc, since I could link applications with it instead of making them static.

Thanks a lot for your project, and keep the good work!

UPDATE: I logged on the SSFDC forum website, and was able to obtain some documents, such as:
* Physical Specifications
* Electrical Specifications
* Physical Format Specifications
* Logical Format Specifications

Is it the kind of document you need?

I also found this on samsung's website:
http://www.samsung.com/US/Products/Semicon...white_paper.pdf
there is not much info...

What kind of info do you need precisely? maybe Squidge, who wrote GPDrive, knows about it?

Hi all,

Does someone have the CHA-01 chatboard documentation and can send me a copy through my email box: toholl at users dot sourceforge dot net ?
Thanks

Back