Gp32 Vs Sharp Zaurus

christo930

I was looking at this organizer and it runs linux and there is alot of emulators and such available for it including UAE and Basilistix as well as the usual nes-snes-gb etc... Does anyone have any experience with this little wonder? How does it compare speed wise to the emulators available for the GP32? How much is it? Any info would be appreciated.

My Dad's got one, It's fairly cool, it's got a good homebrew community. I'm not sure that the buttons would be good for gaming, but It's a nice little machine.

Take an example : some of the emus on Pocket PC 400 Mhz 64 MO RAM are less fast than the same one on GP32...we have some very great coders on the GP32.

So it depends on the emus. ;)

Emus on the GP32 are more optimized in general because of the less powerfull processor. ;)

diablo2 posted on Sep 5 2004 at 03:12 PM said:
does anyone know if it has full speed snes?
On Pocket PC, SNES emu is nearly full speed with sound for most of the games, but maybe at 533 Mhz (overclocking). ;)

So it lets you imagine how skilled Yoyo is. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
zaurus is a very nice toy, but you cant compare it with gp.
if you only want to game get a gp couse of the buttons.
also its a price thing.
the linux on gp isnt realy useable at the moment, if oyu want to work with it get a zaurus.
but remamber that gaming with theese pda buttons/touchscreen isnt realy nice.

Don't forget that when coding for a GP32 you are accessing the hardware directly and have full control over the machine. When running on a PocketPC, you are running Windows in the background, and to get graphics on the screen you have to talk to Windows, which talks to DirectX, which talks to a display driver which talks to the hardware. Pretty much the same with handling the sound and buttons. A Gp32 at 400mhz would easily eat a PocketPC alive in terms of speed of emulation.

Linux as the OS is better, but there are still several layers before you reach the hardware.

Drumaster posted on Sep 5 2004 at 04:27 PM said:
diablo2 posted on Sep 5 2004 at 03:12 PM said:
does anyone know if it has full speed snes?
On Pocket PC, SNES emu is nearly full speed with sound for most of the games, but maybe at 533 Mhz (overclocking). ;)

So it lets you imagine how skilled Yoyo is. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Zaurus is a great machine and I'm going ot get one ot keep in a bit.. but they have no joystick or d-pad or othe suitable gaming controls; they're great for ScummVM and the like, but if you want to fire up an actoin game.. forget it.

jeff

Back