Emulation

If you are *really* keen to use the GP32 for Gameboy/Color games you should probably be warned that Gameboy emulation isn't perfect. The framerate can vary quite a bit (usually fixable by playing with the settings) and save states can get lost if you add or remove roms to your SMC. Like many, I'm hoping that the much discussed 'fDay' will see Ryleh releasing new versions of many of his emus fixing things like the savestate problems etc.

NES, Atari ST, Atari800, C64, Spectrum and MSX are all pretty much spot on.

PCEngine, SNES, Genesis, MAME and Atari Lynx are all fairly good and in the case of the last three are likely to get progressively better. DrMD V2 (Genesis emu) is supposed to be due very soon and from the sounds of things it will be THE GP32 killer app.

J(ohn)

Kolkman posted on Mar 17 2005 at 06:27 AM said:
But the GBA let you play GBA-Roms when using a flashdisk. And with about 1000+ games you always got a lot of games of your choice. GP32 sucks at emulating SNES in my eyes. But I like GPCinema, NES/GBC/GENESIS-emu and some homebrew like GPSmash.

Dont compare the GBA to the GP32. The GBA SP (wich I got) got a way beter blacklight, runs longer witch the Lithium-battery, got a flip-thing to protect your screen. Dont tell me the GP32 got a lot of more power then the GBA, because you cant use that power very well.

Im gonna compare em - you just try and stop me!¬!!

I have both a GBA, an SP and two GP32's

GBASP is frontlit... controls too small and gives me cramp... and you cant see the OGBA screen at all...

Official GBA games costs plenty...

GBA homebrew sucks... The Gp is relitivly easy to code for! and theres something new and opensource nearly everyday!

GBA -You have to patch games all day to get over eeprom save probs

GBA - The carts are cheap nasty and expensive and break...

GBA - The screen is tiny and gives me headaches...

The moment that the GP plays the Breath of Fire series with sound - ill get rid of the horrid nintendo crap!!

Last edited by a moderator:
DrMD V2 (Genesis emu) is supposed to be due very soon and from the sounds of things it will be THE GP32 killer app.

J(ohn)
[/quote]
It totally is...
Pretty much perfect Genesis emulation except for compatability issues, many of which are caused by cyclone bugs. But those of use who have beta 7 know that it is indeed killer... :D

DrMD V2 (Genesis emu) is supposed to be due very soon and from the sounds of things it will be THE GP32 killer app.

J(ohn)
It totally is...
Pretty much perfect Genesis emulation except for compatability issues, many of which are caused by cyclone bugs. But those of use who have beta 7 know that it is indeed killer... :D
[/quote]

Been testing the beta, it is amazing!!!

DaveC posted on Mar 17 2005 at 01:10 AM said:
ConneX posted on Mar 16 2005 at 11:17 PM said:
Thats great to hear. I have done some emulation on the GBA itself (PocketNES and Goomba), and I love it - so it would be really great to emulate it on the GP32 as well.

One more thing; does any of these emulators support link-transfer of games? like, sending games into another GP32s RAM so you could play games with mulitplayer?

Does any of the emulators support link at all?

Compared to the GBA the GP32 is far nicer.

The screen is bigger, and double the resolution of the GBA. So all of those games on the GBA that are scaled and cropped show full resolution on the GP32. Plus that washed out small GBA-SP screen looks like shite compared to the backlit GP32. Even the DS has a lower resolution, smaller screen that would cause stuff to be clipped even if someday they can do an emu.

Genesis is stunning on GP32, MAME is good, PC-engine is full resolution and faster than GBA.

Snes is not good honestly, it isn't on any handheld yet except for a Pocket PC but those have dodgy controls.

Dont compare the GBA to the GP32. The GBA SP (wich I got) got a way beter blacklight, runs longer witch the Lithium-battery, got a flip-thing to protect your screen. Dont tell me the GP32 got a lot of more power then the GBA, because you cant use that power very well.

WTF are you talking about!!! The GBA-SP *FRONTLIGHT * looks absolutely awful compared to a backlit screen with its washed out colors and abysmal contrast, are you nuts!!?

Alpha2 posted on Mar 16 2005 at 10:06 PM said:
Genesis is awsome for the the games that work... though some games pull a nice bait and switch on you, working through 90% of the game only to screw up at some important moment or have some graphic glich you werent expecting (IE. Gunstar Heroes for a time I concidered to work perfectly but it dosent in either of the two best Emus.)

I completed Gunstar Heroes on DRMD and had no graphical glitches or anything.

I have a non lit unit, it runs at max 156mhz. And this is my emu experience

LITTLE JOHN NES emu: fantastic, runs everything great at only 133mhz
GPENGINE: i've tried 20 some games, all ran perfectly fine
OSNES9X: works great with sound off, works great with some games sound on, like Super Punchout, all in all i'm very satisfied with it.
DRMD: very good emu, a bit fast and choppy but thats the autoframe skip
FGEN: better than DRMD for choppines, has frameskip option, but for sound and emulation in general, DRMD is a bit better
PHANDY: very good Atari Lynx emulator, runs everything except Desert Strike, very well
CASTAWAY: i've only tried 5 games but all 5 run very good and despite other people's post, Azures, it's quite easy to use so it's a must try.
FGB: runs pokemon pinball, Mario land 2 and Zelda perfectly, those are the only games i've tried.
GPMAME: very very good Mame emulator, lots of classic arcade games work

DaveC posted on Mar 17 2005 at 03:03 PM said:
DaveC posted on Mar 17 2005 at 01:10 AM said:
ConneX posted on Mar 16 2005 at 11:17 PM said:
Thats great to hear. I have done some emulation on the GBA itself (PocketNES and Goomba), and I love it - so it would be really great to emulate it on the GP32 as well.

One more thing; does any of these emulators support link-transfer of games? like, sending games into another GP32s RAM so you could play games with mulitplayer?

Does any of the emulators support link at all?

Compared to the GBA the GP32 is far nicer.

The screen is bigger, and double the resolution of the GBA. So all of those games on the GBA that are scaled and cropped show full resolution on the GP32. Plus that washed out small GBA-SP screen looks like shite compared to the backlit GP32. Even the DS has a lower resolution, smaller screen that would cause stuff to be clipped even if someday they can do an emu.

Genesis is stunning on GP32, MAME is good, PC-engine is full resolution and faster than GBA.

Snes is not good honestly, it isn't on any handheld yet except for a Pocket PC but those have dodgy controls.

WTF are you talking about!!! The GBA-SP *FRONTLIGHT * looks absolutely awful compared to a backlit screen with its washed out colors and abysmal contrast, are you nuts!!?

The GBA is a fine machine, and has given me hours of joy (Golden Sun????).

But the GP32 is superior in every way. But the programmers of the GBA are writing games that we will be emulating in several years time! If we don't support the current consoles, we will have no retro future, if you see what I mean!

Blimey, got all deep there, sorry :huh:

spaceboygp32x:
"GBA -You have to patch games all day to get over eeprom save probs"

Do you mean, you have to patch the roms, when you use gba flash cards??

If you mean that, you aren't right.
With my Flash card, i can play every game without save patch!!
:blink: ;)

lubidog posted on Mar 17 2005 at 12:06 AM said:
And BLU+ doesn't support snes at all! But everything else is great :D

Look, it's an amazing little thing ;) , but please someone, make blu+ work with snes........................... :rolleyes:

Please.....
ive got a gp32 blu+ and cause osnes9x dont work, i jus downloaded the earlier beta version of it from the site and it works lke a dream, with save states!
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/yoyosan/os9xgp/index.html

Kolkman posted on Mar 17 2005 at 07:27 AM said:
But the GBA let you play GBA-Roms when using a flashdisk. And with about 1000+ games you always got a lot of games of your choice. GP32 sucks at emulating SNES in my eyes. But I like GPCinema, NES/GBC/GENESIS-emu and some homebrew like GPSmash.

Mmmmmm! But you may need this to see the GBA`s screen, Compared to the GP32`s. :p

image001.jpg

Trooper

KickinWing posted on Mar 17 2005 at 03:12 PM said:

Really? When I tryed it I couldn't see the battleship on level 3 :huh:

Zorn posted on Mar 17 2005 at 04:18 PM said:
spaceboygp32x:
"GBA -You have to patch games all day to get over eeprom save probs"

Do you mean, you have to patch the roms, when you use gba flash cards??

If you mean that, you aren't right.
With my Flash card, i can play every game without save patch!!
:blink:  ;)

have fun then dude :D - most GBA cards you have to eeprom patch and that means some games do not work at all!

I have two - and they are crap!

getting back to the theme of the thread...

Buy a GP32 - j2swiss has some on ebay for $199 at the moment

YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!!

sPaCe :ph34r:

Alpha2 posted on Mar 16 2005 at 10:06 PM said:
Genesis is awsome for the the games that work... though some games pull a nice bait and switch on you, working through 90% of the game only to screw up at some important moment or have some graphic glich you werent expecting (IE. Gunstar Heroes for a time I concidered to work perfectly but it dosent in either of the two best Emus.)

I have a non lit unit, it runs at max 156mhz. And this is my emu experience

DRMD: very good emu, a bit fast and choppy but thats the autoframe skip
FGEN: better than DRMD for choppines, has frameskip option, but for sound and emulation in general, DRMD is a bit better

Sound in DrMD a "bit better"? If you consider that it has sound in 99% of the games that fGen does not it is much more that a "bit" better, how about FAR better. Since fGen doesn't even have sound in 99% of the games it has been deleted from my SMC along time ago. Of course fGen will be a bit smoother as it doesn't emulate the sound chips. :rolleyes:

firefly1201 posted on Mar 17 2005 at 01:29 PM said:

Really? When I tryed it I couldn't see the battleship on level 3 :huh:

Indeed stage 3 had the most graphical issues I would think this had been covered before but the airship dissapears and at one point becomes a blur of graphical chowder where you arnt sure when to jump onto it, Later the plane you ride on at the end of the stage dosent distort as it should as it tips side to side so it's a bit disorienting trying to fight. After that I remember there being an issue on the boardgame section at the end of the 4th stage.

matt goode posted on Mar 17 2005 at 04:37 PM said:
lubidog posted on Mar 17 2005 at 12:06 AM said:
And BLU+ doesn't support snes at all! But everything else is great :D

Look, it's an amazing little thing ;) , but please someone, make blu+ work with snes........................... :rolleyes:

Please.....
ive got a gp32 blu+ and cause osnes9x dont work, i jus downloaded the earlier beta version of it from the site and it works lke a dream, with save states!
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/yoyosan/os9xgp/index.html

Which Beta did you use?

Ta

I didn't notice any graphical issues when playing with FGen, at least nothing bad enough to effect gameplay. Not played it much with DrMD though.

Which version of fGen are you using because what I'm looking at is no where near as good as DrMD. The opening Sega logo dosent stretch as it should, the opening story is a black screen, the title screen shows a distored logo, the counter in the dice palace's timed stages don't count down at all... there are problems with fGen.

Back