Gp32, To Buy, Or Not To Buy?

Rayek

Recovering Sega Addict
I've been wondering about purchasing a GP32 from Lik-sang, since they are one of the only non-ebay sellers of the unit.

It looks like the unit is of the first edition, the non-FLU/BLU, and it runs about 80 usd.

I've got an order tangled up for the GP2X at Lik-sang, and whenever the rumored official release happens, it'll be sent to me, pronto. But I can't wait. It's been so long since I've had a peice of hardware I've been happy with, from and Ipod to a PSP, to a DVD player, they've all been a pain in one way or another, and I'd like the GP32 to redeem that sort of mindset I'm in. I'd love to play some classics, even oldschool NES on a handheld. So what do you think?

I've been wondering about purchasing a GP32 from Lik-sang, since they are one of the only non-ebay sellers of the unit.

It looks like the unit is of the first edition, the non-FLU/BLU, and it runs about 80 usd.

I've got an order tangled up for the GP2X at Lik-sang, and whenever the rumored official release happens, it'll be sent to me, pronto. But I can't wait. It's been so long since I've had a peice of hardware I've been happy with, from and Ipod to a PSP, to a DVD player, they've all been a pain in one way or another, and I'd like the GP32 to redeem that sort of mindset I'm in. I'd love to play some classics, even oldschool NES on a handheld. So what do you think?

It has great emulation support, a bettre joystick and much better battery life than a GP2X. The bad thing is that screen, it is non lit so unless you are in a bright environment the screen is hard to see. Think like the original non-lit GBA.

Last edited by a moderator:

A month or so ago, I would have told you to get the gp32, but the development for the gp2x has been very fast. Chances are, withing 3-6 months, all of the emulators are going to be running as good or better than the gp32.

Chris

I'm more thinking of killing time until I get the GP2X, and I have 200 or so bucks figuratively burning a hole in my pocket. I'm not interested in new games, so my only other option for offloading some of the cash would be buying some old gaming systems, like a C64 or an old Atari, but they're both emulated on the GP32, and now the GP2X, so what would be the point? Well, regardless of wether it's backlit or not, 80 dollars is still a really good price.

I'm more thinking of killing time until I get the GP2X, and I have 200 or so bucks figuratively burning a hole in my pocket. I'm not interested in new games, so my only other option for offloading some of the cash would be buying some old gaming systems, like a C64 or an old Atari, but they're both emulated on the GP32, and now the GP2X, so what would be the point? Well, regardless of wether it's backlit or not, 80 dollars is still a really good price.

Go for it. Doesn't hurt to have both. There are some things on the GP32 that may never make it to the GP2X anyway. Plus it is so cheap.

you wont regret it...

my missus still uses a non lit, Dave C is right although I would say that its a bit better than the GBA cause its reflective and much bigger...

I have an old GBA which you cant use without a light or something...

never needed to on the non-lit

make sure it OC to at least 156mhz though!

sPaCe :ph34r:

you wont regret it...

my missus still uses a non lit, Dave C is right although I would say that its a bit better than the GBA cause its reflective and much bigger...

I have an old GBA which you cant use without a light or something...

never needed to on the non-lit

make sure it OC to at least 156mhz though!

just checked lik sang - do they have stock???

Where can you still get a zodiac? when i was trying to get one a while back they were very hard to come across.

I have both the GP32 and GP2X.
I would still recommend getting a GP32.
It is a great little machine and loads of fun!

I've not read the rest of the thread yet.. but if you already havea PSP or GBA or NDS you likely can get some emulation going already; PSP emulation is relatively good, so if you can deal with the controls on the unit, you can get NES going for free .. without buying a GP32. (ie: Saving money is a good thing) -- PSP emulation of NES isn't somethign Iv'e tried so I can't comment, but supposedly its pretty good stuff. (The Genesis emu isn't as good as DrMD but its pretty darned decent, as is the TG126 and my own Atari ST stuff of course.)

A shame you're tied up with lik-sang for the 2x; you can't jump to someone else?

I hope to get my 2x within a week or two.. _hope_ .. damnit :)

jeff

Buy a Zodiac!!
There is tons of games out for it and Emu!!

Great, zodiac spam..

The emus are ok but not any better than the GP32 except for SNES which is a little faster if you don't mind playing them all stretched out and fuzzy with a joystick that is analog and sloppiest of all. That is when it isn't broken and pulling to the left on its own. Then you have the custom built in battery that when it dies leaves you with a totally useless brick because the company that makes the unit is out of business.. STAY AWAY!

A shame you're tied up with lik-sang for the 2x; you can't jump to someone else?

jeff

I'm afraid to switch because exchanging money over the internet is not a good cup of tea, plus I've switched banks, so I wouldn't know how they would give me my money back.

It's truely a shame. It's a damn shame. It's a crime.

I'm salivating, and it's Q1 2006! That could be from now until April! Or never. Arrgh.

jeff

I'm afraid to switch because exchanging money over the internet is not a good cup of tea, plus I've switched banks, so I wouldn't know how they would give me my money back.

It's truely a shame. It's a damn shame. It's a crime.

I'm salivating, and it's Q1 2006! That could be from now until April! Or never. Arrgh.

I am about 99.99% sure that they are NOT allowed to charge your credit/debit card/checking account until they ship you the unit. I don't know of any company that pre-charges for backordered items. YOu should just be able to cancel your order.

Back