Gp32 Sound Quality

de_dust

Still Fresh
How good is it?

I'm new here, and am thinking about getting a GP32 for general portable entertainment and as something to have a bit of fun coding for. I was planning to get a portable MP3 player, and so for a little extra could justify a GP32 despite it's relatively low storage (128Megs).

Thing is, how good is it at playing music? I'm not just bothered about how good the MP3 is, but also how good the sound output is. Has anyone used it with decent headphones (£20 - £30 ones)? How much hiss and distortion is there? How loud can it go?

I obviously don't expect it to match a standalone system like a portable minidisk for the same price, but being able to realy appreciate your music would be nice.

Any advice would be appreciated!

The sound is amazing. Especially since it has stereo speakers. It's really clear and I haven't heard any hissing at all. With speakers, it is really loud, without any crackling or hissing. It's great for playing MP3s and watching movies.

coolgpguy posted on Feb 1 2004 at 02:11 AM said:
128 megs is barely anything and its cheaper to just burn cd-rs
Cdr`s won`t fit in the GP32`s SMC slot, Unless i missed something. <_<

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
Through headphones, the sound quality is as good as any non-audiophile sound gear. It's the same 16-bit audio that everyone uses (Magellan: even Zodiac... you snob ;) )

128MB is a pain for MP3s, I wouldn't consider it for serious listening.

But the big thing is, it's GREAT fun to code for! Go for it! :D

Well, there's also some good Ogg Vorbis players, which are on par with MP3s quality-wise at roughly 1/3 to 1/2 the bitrate.

I thank you all for your replies!

The GP32 just has this type of appeal that I haven't really seen in a console since the Megadrive/Amiga days. That's why I would like one despite it not really fitting the bill of what I need right now .... :D

I know this is a GP32 board, but it seems that at least one of you has experience with the Tapwave. This is one of the alternatives I was considering - only trouble being you can't get them in the UK right now. Homebrew scene seems rather limited compared to the GP32, but I suppose this might be because it's so new.

Seems I have some weighing up of things to do!

[/QUOTE]128 megs is barely anything and its cheaper to just burn cd-rs

Cdr`s won`t fit in the GP32`s SMC slot, Unless i missed something.

Trooper

wat u said didnt even make sense im not dumb i know the gp32 cannot fit a cd in it i was obviously talking about thhe cd player :angry:

coolgpguy posted on Feb 1 2004 at 10:33 PM said:
128 megs is barely anything and its cheaper to just burn cd-rs

Trooper

wat u said didnt even make sense im not dumb i know the gp32 cannot fit a cd in it i was obviously talking about thhe cd player :angry:
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA, Relax, It was a sarcastic joke.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Trooper

Trooper

wat u said didnt even make sense im not dumb i know the gp32 cannot fit a cd in it i was obviously talking about thhe cd player

Blimey - surely you didnt think he was serious? Surely! :blink:

Axeman posted on Feb 2 2004 at 12:57 AM said:

Trooper

wat u said didnt even make sense im not dumb i know the gp32 cannot fit a cd in it i was obviously talking about thhe cd player 

Blimey - surely you didnt think he was serious? Surely! :blink:
His names not shirley, Bahahahaha. :lol:

Sorry, I`ve probably upset him some more. :blink:

Trooper

Back