Gp32 Software Compilation Cd

hando

Chief Editor
Website
www.gp32x.com
Hi guys,

In cooperation with gp32x.de partner Lik-Sang.com, I would like to create some kind of Ultimate Gp32 Software CD with all available games, tools, development tools etc. I am going to include all possible information about every single software like author's name, description of program and manual (if available) and maybe a screenshot :).

The CD will probably feature a cool printed cover and will be shipped for FREE with every GP32 ordered through Lik-Sang.com ( in similar way like GP32Zine). I would like also to make this CD available free to download via bittorent network and maybe in some other ways. In case of requests from poeple who already own a GP32 and somehow can't download the whole cd image, I consider that it could be sold for a cheap price covering costs of cd, cover and sending.

Because I really aprieciate your work and would like to play fair with every of you, I would like to ask you for a permission to include your work (tools, games, development tools) on this CD.

To make it simple, if you from some reason do not agree to include your programs on this cd please just let me know by email (hando@gp32x.de) about it.

I already started to sending emails to most of you but sometimes email adresses from readme.txt do not work, so this is mainly the reason i post this info.

To the rest of our great community. If you have any ideas what else would you like to have on this CD, or how it should be organised or just any other ideas - share them with me .
Thanks in advance

hando
-chief editor-

Last edited by a moderator:
how you gonna contact the people who no longer come here...??

Hiya!

its a great idea but i think you'd be better off with an "opt in" system rather than an opt out system. what if they dont come on the forums and you dont have an e-mail? :p

but personally i can't see why anybody wouldn't want to be on the CD, if your a coder you'd surely want as big a audience as possible.

look foward to seeing it :)

opt in is far too tedious

basically, the scene is pretty open and the cd is being sold to cover costs only, its not like some fat cat is raking in profit from other peoples hard work

news of this will qucikly spread and i see no reason why a dev who takes issue with the idea will have problems contacting hando

suggestions wise

the latest build of VitrualDub
a batch zipper
some faqs and guides provided in html form for easy access

Including the software on the CD which is sold without written permission from the owner is of course illegal. Why would lik-sang and gp32x steal and sell other peoples work without their permission? You _have_ to get permission from them, if you don't, then don't include it on the CD, simple as that.

Fine with me... even though I never programmed anything to copy in the first place. I would, but I'm trying to focus programming into web stuff for now.

Craig has been doing this for a long while with orders from GBAX.com, not sure if he ever got permission in the first place. Anyway, like the above poster said, if it's available for download then there's no reason to even ask the devs as they have already given permission for the programs to be publically distributable over the Internet. CDs are just another form of media (great for people without Internet access), and since they are FREE and not being sold seperately, I see no legal problems. If possible we should also try to get Entware, GBAX, Shibuya, and Play-Asia in on this. While it would be nice for Lik-Sang if they monopolized the "Free CD!" market, it isn't really fair :D

Including the software on the CD which is sold without written permission from the owner is of course illegal. Why would lik-sang and gp32x steal and sell other peoples work without their permission? You _have_ to get permission from them, if you don't, then don't include it on the CD, simple as that.
I am not going to sell it to anybody. I just consider that if someone calculate that downloading CD image will cost him a lot (not everybody has a broadband connection) I (or through Lik-Sang.com website) could send a cd to him. But I am not a Mother Theresa so I just want get money for shipping and blank cd. It is just another method of distribution. In case of bittorent you download it for free adn save money on shipping but you pay for a blank cd. That's all. But it still an idea. There is about three or even four gp32 software compilations out including that one from Virgin and I really doubt if any developer was asked for permission. So please dont flame me for something I DON'T want to do because I don't want to make any money on it.

Sounds good to me :)
Downloading everything GP32 related without broadband could take a looooong time, so this is something that's been needed for a while, I think.
Just don't have the image set in stone, if at all possible, so people can (if they want to for some reason) withdraw their proggies if they find out about it later, or, more to the point, newer proggies can get added with later releases. After all, if it were made now, this instant, it'd miss out on future prospects with fGen, OS9x, and, for that matter, GPFinalwar. Which could be a shame...

If it's available for download then there's no reason to even ask the devs as they have already given permission for the programs to be publically distributable over the Internet.
Ah. Did I give permission for my programs to be publically distributable over the internet? Just because I uploaded it to my home page? I don't think so. There are various reasons behind the fact that some people want to keep their stuff downloadable only from _their_ homepage, eg. maintaining half-way decent download statistics, the possibility to withdraw their project (for any reason) if they want to (It's literally impossible to get a dozen mirrors to delete your file) and so on. As some people already had to experience, I'm a harsh critic of the pretty common "Hey, it's available for free on his/her homepage, let's just put in on our CD/devkit/SMC and distribute it" point of view. Probably there are a few (or even a lot?) developers who don't care how their projects are being distributed, but still there are people who don't like to see their work distributed by anyone except for themselves without consent (see Giana's Return homepage, they don't want that, and so do I, even though my projects won't match the quality of GR at all, not that it's of any matter).
While it's okay for me that Hando includes my works on the CD (it's more of a service to the community than a sales argument, and yet, he asked, which is a very important step to me and other developers), I would not be happy to see my work on a SMC sold with the GP32 or stand-alone (as the one being marketed in spain?). Not that I think my projects are first choice for such an inclusion, but I really think the companies marketing the GP32 in europe should concentrate on developing good western-style games instead of taking homebrew games and emulators as a sales argument.
Because of this, I am happy that hando asks for permission (no matter if opt-in or opt-out, he's asking and he's telling about that project in advance instead of presenting accomplished facts) and hereby grant my consent for including my projects on the CD, if they equal his standards.

Did I give permission for my programs to be publically distributable over the internet? Just because I uploaded it to my home page? I don't think so.

I meant the devs who haven't given notice that they do not want their programs distributed beyond their homepage or beyond certain sites. I didn't automatically assume all downloads on GP32x are open to distribution outside of our network, sorry if it seemed that way. Of course, I feel this post and possibly even an email informing them of our decision are warrented. That way they can email back or post here if they do not want their work on the CD.

Just head over to www.gianas-return.de and read the news.

Not all developers want their work on a CD ;)

Back