Gp32 Screen Snow

greyghost

Still Fresh
My GP32's screen has a permanent snow/interference effect. I changed the batteries
just to be sure, but it still happens. It appears in all the programs and firmwares I have
installed.

Does anyone else have this problem?

EDIT: I forgot, I did the glass screen mod myself. But the glass I used was slightly thicker
than the recommended size. Truth is, I don't remember seeing this problem after
switching the screen. Could this be the problem?

You could try removing the glass screen mod again to see if the snow effect goes away. That's what I would do.

I did the mod recently but I am now wondering if it's worth the dust that is now finding its way in there. The same thing happened to my GBA when I installed the Afterburner kit for it.

Particles of dust are an LCD screen's worst enemy!

I was trying to avoid opening it again. I used mounting tape on the grey screen retainer, so I think it would break if I try to remove the glass from that side.

And yes, the dust trapped on the inside is highly irritating.

Thanks very much.

Blah:
What's the magnetic inductor? Could it be replaced?

The inductor wirelessly transfers power to the lcd, in the form of magnetism, I can't remember exactly where it is on the board, but its behind the screen. I imagine it could be replaced, if you can find a replacement, and are good with (or know someone who is good with) soldering tiny surface mount components.

I've found that opening the GP32 from the front is actually very easy to do with the right tool.

The right tool in this instance happens to be a one sided razor blade with a supporting structure on the spine.

This is strong and thin enough to fit into the slit between the grey frame and the GP32 housing. You will notice that the grey frame is very slightly curved; bending the razor to match the curve will help. It's then just a matter of leveraging it out. I do this from the bottom edge of the frame where the curvature is less acute.

The frame and front protective glass/plastic on a FLU is held in by some sticky gum-like glue and some double-sided tape. The glue will remain sticky enough to re-apply the frame. I just replaced the existing tape with my own tape. I used a permanent double sided tape made by 3M. It's as thin as ordinary tape though sticky on both sides.

I recently re-opened my FLU and removed the dust using a cloth that is designed to pick up dust. I then applied the tape on the edges of the frame where the protective glass fits in, to help letting dust in. I think this is critical as I previously did not do this.
So far, I've found that no new dust has appeared though it's only been a few days.

That's a good idea, will try it this weekend. And I will look for that tape you described. The type I used was much thicker
and very visible, very ugly.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Back