gp32 petition

Maybe we should petition Gamepark to fix all the things that they have mis-led us about before they go for a world-wide release?

Lets be honest, much as we love GP32 it can't do everything that was claimed in the literature and I think that would severely damage GP's reputation in the mainstream if they just sold it as it is now.

They sort of have released it world wide, after a bit of harassement from me over 4 months we eventually got in touch with their distributor in Korea and they exported to the UK with the engish version of the console.

At first they put me in touch with the European Distributor which was just a joke, some company in london who just were usless in every respect, who then broke the contract anyway (did they ever even distribute the gp32?)

The GP32 is getting seriously popular at the moment, i'd say by the end of this year it will have some proper developers making games for it, but it will be thanks to the emulators that it sold so well in the first place.

Just think how fast all those mega optimised GBA 3d engines would run on the GP32 ;)

As far as I know, there is only one distributor that will accept credit cards. A lot of them take PayPal, but PayPal has a bad reputation as far as I'm concerned.

I prefered to order mine from the UK anyway. Now, if only it would arrive. (SIGH)

I have been grabbing C64 games in anticipation of the Friday frodo release.

The GP32 is definitely picking up in popularity. I had been thinking about it for months before I got one, mostly because of the potential it had but also because I'm a collector. I showed my friends it and 3 or 4 of them want one as well now. Also, craig, your GP32 review has been getting lots of exposure since it's been on every mainstream emulation site. I'm sure that exposure will attract emulator programmers, who emulate different systems or perhaps improve on others methods. As the software becomes more refined, so too will the user base increase. I doubt GP32s will ever be a rival to the Gameboy machines, but I seriously think they could be the only thing to give it a run for its money since the handheld wars back in the early 90s. (yes, I know NGPC's and WSC's are good, but both have ultimately failed without making much of a mark at all in the west...)

Come friday there will be undoubtedly a large increase in the GP32's popularity. The largest portion of the international user base seems to be Europeans, and we all know what Europeans want. Spectrums and C64's :p add to that a little hype in C64 discussion groups and websites, and quite possibly it could be history in the making.

Normally, I'd say all the stuff I said above sounds stupid and over-optimistic, but the GP32 is pretty much everything it's cracked up to be! And if Frodo has good D64 support (ie, it's better than ye olde C64S 1.x) and runs more complex games like Turbo Outrun...well, you have one of the biggest game libraries in the world on standby. And that's not counting SEUCK games :)

Couldn't agree more with your assessment GurtyGurt, the GP32 will become THE machine to have because of the emulation possibilities.

God I'm turning into such a pessamist but I have to say this:

The use of the GP32 for emulation purposes is a double-edged sword.
If I was Nintendo and I saw people playing my games for free (I'm thinking ahead to the GBA emu particularly) I think I would have the law on my side to rock the whole GP32 boat.
The classic arguement that emulation on the PC can't harm the handheld market (because you can't take your PC on the bus) falls apart with the GP32 because it will be ESSENTIALLY a Gameboy Advance.

Obviously they can't come round and take our GP32's away from us but after the Lik-Sang debacle it scares me how the big players are starting to become paranoid about these things. It would be a shame to see a small company like Gamepark ruined in this manner.

Time willl tell, but what do you guys here think about this?
Do I worry too much?

if nintendo tried that they would also have to address gba emus on any portable PC, such as the pocket pc, or even nokias new phone which will almost certainly be able to emu the gba too. Its nintendos fault for releasing such an underpowered handheld ;)

I don't think it will be a problem, at least for a while. The gp32 is still *WAY* below the radar.

As long as an item has multiple uses (and the gp32 plays games specifically made for it) it is legal in the U.S., at least. The DMCA may have changed that.

Items like memory carts for the the GBA/GBC are single use (as far as judges are concerned). The law considers them infringement devices.

It's funny you mention the DMCA because I was recently reading a very worrying letter written by the President of the DMCA addressed to the emulation scene. I am happy sometimes I promise ;)

can't find the link, bugger, hang on.......

You dont want Gamepark to do a SNK on us and release to the whole world only to go bankrupt.

I think the only time they would release worldwide is when they have developer support or when they release gp64 after having sold gp32 quite well in asia (and i think they have)

i think currently they are trying not to be too ambitious and just concentrating or sell there stuff. and they might even bet concentrating on modifing the gp32 for bluetooth or something like that.

if they did modify for blutooth they should get rid of that ugly wireless link thing that dangles from the gp32. (the radio waves could be hazardous especially if ur a man)

Back