Gp32 Mysterys!!!! Ooooh!

The Moose

Well, im here to talk a little bit about all the things and programs/hardware that was rumored or never heard much about for the GP32, lets go through them, shall we....

1.) the GP-->TV Cable (rumoured made by someone, i cant remember, and possibly displayed at a british meetup?

2.) Capcom 3rd party support (gamepark said to have bought rights to Megaman and Street fighter?)

3.) Ports of some big softs (Payback - GTA Clone, MK game, NEOCDSDL - ryleh I believe was it? Never started?

4.) The GP--->DC Cable (did anything ever work with it?)

5.) Pirotics CPS2 emu (NO FLAMING INTENDED!! Just never saw it, so its a mystery)

6.) The GP Proto Cell Phone (whats known about this realy? does a celluar phone actually work in it? can you call out with a service?

7.) GP32--->Internet (rumouroed and adveristised many times, ever confirmed/beta tested?)

Theres really no point to this topic, just some interesting stuff, I guess! :) Talk about it if youd like.

The Moose posted on Jul 2 2004 at 04:12 PM said:
Well, im here to talk a little bit about all the things and programs/hardware that was rumored or never heard much about for the GP32, lets go through them, shall we....

1.) the GP-->TV Cable (rumoured made by someone, i cant remember, and possibly displayed at a british meetup?

2.) Capcom 3rd party support (gamepark said to have bought rights to Megaman and Street fighter?)

3.) Ports of some big softs (Payback - GTA Clone, MK game, NEOCDSDL - ryleh I believe was it? Never started?

4.) The GP--->DC Cable (did anything ever work with it?)

5.) Pirotics CPS2 emu (NO FLAMING INTENDED!! Just never saw it, so its a mystery)

6.) The GP Proto Cell Phone (whats known about this realy? does a celluar phone actually work in it? can you call out with a service?

7.) GP32--->Internet (rumouroed and adveristised many times, ever confirmed/beta tested?)

Theres really no point to this topic, just some interesting stuff, I guess! :) Talk about it if youd like.
1. These exist, but you need a special GP32 to hook it up to a TV (FX-Man has one)

2. Who knows...

3.ryleh is working on 13 emulators

4. It was put on the backburner, they wernt happy with the quality.

5. Pirotic has explained this, as has rico. He annonced(SP) big things, but couldnt get the gp32 to do it, he wasnt a fake.

6. The GPI was canceled, would it have worked any way?

7. Gampark...

My crappy little knowledge anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
1)I believe that the owner of gp32news has one.
2)Probs won't happen.
3)Payback was cancelled for the GP.
4)Put on the 'backburner'.
5)Didn't release it, proberbly won't.
6)GPI...odd Green GP32.
7)Not officially, but some people are looking into hooking a modem up to the GP and running a browser through Linux.

Also, King Of Fighter's could have Internet play through the USB port.

Mark posted on Jul 2 2004 at 11:23 AM said:
it wasn't that it was canceled
it was that he would do it if we didn't pay him $50,000
and that would never happen

diablo2 posted on Jul 2 2004 at 04:32 PM said:
it wasn't that it was canceled
it was that he would do it if we didn't pay him $50,000
and that would never happen
LMAO

where is the site for payback? Didnt they do a GBA version?

Kop_007 posted on Jul 2 2004 at 05:08 PM said:
8. The GP32 is dead.
I hope that was a joke.

Offtopic: Is there a way to play MAC games under windows to try out the demo?

finty101 posted on Jul 2 2004 at 09:10 AM said:
8. The GP32 is dead.
I hope that was a joke.
That's no joke, it is a myth. Proven false though.

The Moose posted on Jul 2 2004 at 04:12 PM said:
As others have said Fxman has one..
It actually has a external converter for lcd->tv

Gamepark is pretty good at messing things up.. so probably wont see those..

I know that gamepark has seen payback.. but dont know if they or the author will ever make it

It was production ready (atleast for the hardware part)
It was mainly made for KTF (a korean telephone company) but they didn't want it for some reason..

Well.. mobile phones usually have serial interface and gp32 has 2uart's .. so go figure ;)
I say it would be quite possible to get this working..

I hope this new european launch will bring more people to gp32 scene so that it might produce even more free software..

6)GPI...odd Green GP32.
Not Exactly ;)

Confirmed that internet works on a prototype and a LONG time ago a video called "web_browsing_lan" showed one of these prototypes using a mobile phone to browse Yahoo.

According to RobBrown, the GP32 has a special chip to convert the CPU's video signals into LCD signals. Apparently, the CPU outputs a signal not very different from a TV's signal (AHA!), so if you were to solder tiny wires to the CPU's video output pins, you can plug them into a TV. Good luck doing that though, the CPU's pins are 0.5mm apart...

Gamepark did buy rights, but quite some time ago. They never did anything with the rights though, pretty much typical GamePark.

I believe the problem atm is that it's way too slow, because they're using the GP32's UART, which can only run at 115200bps.

Not sure what you mean by this, do you mean a link cable between the GP32 and a mobile phone? Because if you do, this is fairly straightforward, most mobile phones operate at LVTTL, the same as the GP32, so it's just a matter of connecting the UART0 Rx, Tx and handshaking signals and you have yourself a GP32 with callfunction. Slight hitch though, like I said before, the GP32's UART can only run at 115200bps which translates to roughly 14,4kB/s. And that is if you're using GPRS and most people are not, so the speed is limited to the GSM networks max. speed, which is 9600bps, so you're literally crawling along here, with a speed of 1,2kB/s, not quite enough for game play.

Just as simple as stated above, in fact, if you hooked up your mobile to your GP32 right now, you could probably internet off it in a day. All you need to do is compile a driver program for ARM-Linux, and you're set! Just remember, 1,2kb/s...

The developer for Payback needed 50 000 dollars because it would be like paying him, he didnt say we have to give it to him, he meant a publisher. But if someone else did it in the community for cheaper it could happen. But yeah, GPAdvance, but if you use a ROM you should at least donate the DEV of that game 15 dollars because he is an indie guy and thats his only source of income.

finty101 posted on Jul 2 2004 at 05:10 PM said:
8. The GP32 is dead.
I hope that was a joke.

Offtopic: Is there a way to play MAC games under windows to try out the demo?
Reply to off topic :: Well WhiteFalcon got there first, but yes if it is an older game, there is a program called BasiliskII which emulates 68k Macs. You will of course need an OS, which is avalible with a bit of looking in apples legacy support areas, and a BIOS dump which can be googled relativly easily. You'll also need a program for reading an writing to Mac formatted disks and drive images, I use HFVExplorer

MacOS 7.5.3 from Apples site.

and their Old Software List so you have the nesacery to run things.

However if it is a PowerPC only game you will have to wait for PearPC to come of age.

Hope that's helpfull.

Back