Gp32: More Than 128 Mb!

sehs33

Website
Visit site
<edit>
Am sorry for posting this in GP2X section, this should go to GP32 forum, stupid me :(
</edit>
OK guys, I was always pissed off the limited size of SMC cards, and I got excited when I heard about the XD to SMC convertor, as everyone else, although it ment a longer life to our dear GP32, but I wished that it was possible to have more than 128 MB of data.

My question (idea) is, is it possible to parition a 512 MB or 1 GB xd card to several partitions, each of 128 MB or less, and place a software (that we have to write of course) on each partition, that will load itself to the RAM, and then make us select the partition to be "active", and after we restart the GP32, the active partition is accessed, and it has the same software again, that would let us switch to any other partition later?.

Now the things that are important, in order to know if this is possible:

1) Does the XD to Flash convertor limits such a function? does it use hardware to read the first 1000 square mm to define 128 MB to be used? or can it follow pointers "like a specific combination of zeros and ones"?
2) Can the GP32 write to a specific position on the card?

Am sure that most of you think am dreamy, but I really would love to make my GP32 bypass this disadvantage (it has a much better battery life than my GP2X, and that is a great advantage).

So, do you guys know\think it is possible?

Note: Am extremly sorry if this contradicts any of the basics of Flash cards and how they work, but after seeing this topic
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?act=S...=45&t=33709
I couldn't resist to ask this question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but this idea is different.

The idea is to split te card in multiple 128 mb sections, that are " switchable" so the gp32 is fooled that it only has one 128mb card in it...

Thing is, the gp32 can only access up to max 128 mb.
So i think it can only work if you make some kind of "hardware switch" or a program that simulates a hardware switch.?

Verrry difficult i guess...

Good luck!

Are you sure it was discussed before? I will run a search for it (i've been in the community for a long time, I spent a longer time before I made this account, and am here since FLUs, but I don't ever remember hearing anything about it, I'll use the search function to check now ;) )

Ok, several people discussed this, or simillar ideas in older topics that I didnt notice before, the final conclusion was that it might be possible, but it is very troublesome, you will never be able to do the partitioning thing on the GP32 directly (which is not something I am looking for) so you will have to partition the card on your machine.
As far as I read, no one has proven that there are hardware limitations, but I will recheck later to make sure (there is a lot of dust there :) ).
I hope someone does this for the sake of the 30,000+ GP32 owners if it is possible, and maybe if I got alot of free time someday I will even try doing it myself.

I've just googled a little bit, and the only XD to SMC converters I found were limited to 128MB, for the same reasons discussed above.

Think about it: SMC was only ever defined up to 128MB. The value of the "device type" that is read out from the card to discover how big it is, was never specified for cards bigger than 128MB. That means that even if a 256MB (or more) XD to SMC adapter was made, no SMC device in the world would be able to use the extra space. Never mind 30,000 GP32 owners who might be able to fudge it through homebrew, every other SMC device would still be out in the cold.

So, your only option is to make custom hardware as well as custom software. You won't find anything off the shelf to do what you want.

btw, while this topic has been discussed before, it wasn't often. And you try searching the forums for "XD" :D Mostly people asked where to buy mythical "greater than 128MB" SMC cards, which never existed but were often seen (like the Loch Ness Monster and Sasquatch). Remember the "you can get 256MB SMC, but they only run on 5V" myth?

I have found several reviews from users who were able to get only 128 MB from XD cards that were 512 MB or 1 GB, so in theory the converotr works fine, the card doesn't become a useless brick if it was more than 128 MB, but the SMC controllers can't read more than 128 MB.
Those convertors are sold for cheap prices on ebay, you can even get one with 128 MB XD card for around $30, and a set of four XD cards for $37, but no one wants to carry several cards, I will be getting one of those convertors next holiday, and I have several tests in mind to make sure what can and can't be done :)

I appreciate all your replies guys, it shows that others share me the frustration of the max 128 MB issue :D

The only thing useful about those XD-SMC converters is that you can use XD card on the GP32 instead of SMCs, which are becoming increasingly harder to find.
Yessiree! 128mb XDs are around 15 USD shipped, while 128mb SMCs are near 50. Pretty ridiculous :rolleyes:

I'll be picking up a converter in the coming weeks as well. No more SMCs for me, thank you.

I was in San Francisco a month ago or so, and I wasted a golden chance, I found a place that sells 128 MB SMC cards for $20!!!!
Am still banging my head to the wall, and I can't go back there to get it (or in fact to buy all of them :( )

YOU COULD HAVE BEEN RICH!!!

Imagine this. All remaining gp32 owners (about 10.000 of them) smc's break down.
They start searching the internet for a company that sells cheap smc's.

Thats where you come in.

You bought 5000 of those cards and sell them for 32 bucks a piece @ smcsehs33.com.
That makes 5000*10 bucks profit (=minus overhead) and.. hey presto, 50 grand!

Oops sorry for rubbing it in..

Sell what to who?
Trust me, I will have a use for all of them :D

BTW, this pops a question to my mind, do Flash crads in general expire? I know that they have a limited number of writing cycles, but am asking, do they expire by time? Like let's say normal batteries :unsure:

They do have a maximum number of write cycles.

It seems the numer of cycles fluctuates per brand. My sandisk is 100% OK for over 3 years now with medium use. I even have 5 years warranty. But i've heard of people that have worn out 3 cards in one year.

But, to answer your question, i don't think the card will "fade" very quickly as it has no magnetic parts as seen in tapes or floppy disks..
But eventually it will fade. Even megadrive carts fade.. My mortal combat cart is now broken while it was stored as it should, while not beeing used for years...

<edit>
Am sorry for posting this in GP2X section, this should go to GP32 forum, stupid me :(
</edit>
OK guys, I was always pissed off the limited size of SMC cards, and I got excited when I heard about the XD to SMC convertor, as everyone else, although it ment a longer life to our dear GP32, but I wished that it was possible to have more than 128 MB of data.

My question (idea) is, is it possible to parition a 512 MB or 1 GB xd card to several partitions, each of 128 MB or less, and place a software (that we have to write of course) on each partition, that will load itself to the RAM, and then make us select the partition to be "active", and after we restart the GP32, the active partition is accessed, and it has the same software again, that would let us switch to any other partition later?.

Now the things that are important, in order to know if this is possible:

1) Does the XD to Flash convertor limits such a function? does it use hardware to read the first 1000 square mm to define 128 MB to be used? or can it follow pointers "like a specific combination of zeros and ones"?
2) Can the GP32 write to a specific position on the card?

Am sure that most of you think am dreamy, but I really would love to make my GP32 bypass this disadvantage (it has a much better battery life than my GP2X, and that is a great advantage).

So, do you guys know\think it is possible?

Note: Am extremly sorry if this contradicts any of the basics of Flash cards and how they work, but after seeing this topic
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?act=S...=45&t=33709
I couldn't resist to ask this question.
Just buy a gizmondo as i am a tosser and like playing with my willy much more than my gp32

Btw, Tossers get banned, So i guess thats me.

I'm not going to bother saying why I think one or the other is better, but I do think it's funny that the Gizmondo has a 400Mhz processor, and yet the emulators on it run the same speed or slower than the GP32 :D

elliot posted on Dec 29 2006 at 06:54 AM said:
Just buy a gizmondo and get a 4gb card. gizmondo can do much more than gp32
er, your name rings a bell. Weren't you the one with a painted gp32 as your avatar? WTF you posted something about how it sucks now and giz is better. That's so out of the blue. :huh:

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 29 2006 at 12:24 PM said:
elliot posted on Dec 29 2006 at 06:54 AM said:
Just buy a gizmondo and get a 4gb card. gizmondo can do much more than gp32
er, your name rings a bell. Weren't you the one with a painted gp32 as your avatar? WTF you posted something about how it sucks now and giz is better. That's so out of the blue. :huh:
He's also the one who just went apeshit about how much the GP32 sucks, and you can find it in the LOL Files.

Hacked account? Bi-polar? :unsure:

Yes, note how I said "you posted something about how it sucks now and giz is better". There's nothing in his above posts that indicate how he hates the gp32, so obviously I'm alluding to his angry tyrade ;)

Looks like a mod or two got to him. My original question remains though: why do you suddenly hate the gp32??

I'm betting on a hacked account :unsure:

Back