MAME for GP32?

Technically, there is -Craig's 8080 emu, link should be on this site's homepage, but it's only designed to run 8080-based games. It's easier and less memory-constraining to break down MAME into the seperate emulators it came from (tossing out parts that could never be emulated effectively), rather than porting it as one big heap anyway.

Where can I grab he source to Craig's emu? I looked around this site, but I could only find the binary.

There is supposed to be a mame port in private beta. Hopefully it will be out soon.

if you want craig's source you should email him (probably thru gbax.com, his site) and be ready to make a compelling argument - maybe if you do he'll share, but you should always expect a little resistance (in general) when asking for such a thing.. there's been a lot of lamers on these boards lately.

with XCade, skeezix also ported a couple arcade games (pacman, ms pacman, space invaders, etc) - not a mame conversion though, mind you. here's his page http://www.codejedi.com/shadowplan/gp32.html

a mame port, of any degree, would be a welcome addition to the GP32 - we've had pics dangled in front of us for sometime now, but not a whole lot has trickled out yet. so the more dev's working on cracking that thing, the better I say!

Honestly, it looks like the system won't be able to support a higher level of the mame games (anything past the mid-eighties) - i am no programmer but just from what has been said around here, that has been the general consensus. no neo geo, etc - perhaps system 16 is as far as it can handle. but who knows, if an honest-to-goodness effort gets underway, who knows what could happen! (personally, I would be more than happy with the mid-eighties games.. we'll see what happens, eh?)

Rlyeh's fMAME is in private beta stage at the moment. It runs lots of things very well, including ghosts 'n' Goblins (my personal fave.). It will be released eventually, so stay tuned.

Axeman posted on Sep 12 2003 at 07:37 AM said:
Rlyeh's fMAME is in private beta stage at the moment. It runs lots of things very well, including ghosts 'n' Goblins (my personal fave.). It will be released eventually, so stay tuned.
I really hope so, is it powerfull enough to run street fighter II yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
XCade is also available. From what I can see it runs the following games:

Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr
Hangly Man
Moon Cresta
Ms PacMan
PacMan
Phoenix
Pleiades
Puckman
Ripoff
Space Invaders
Star Castle

Some of them run at 100% with sound and graphics, some don't have sound, but all of the above games work with gpxcade004. I think this version is ported from the version that runs on some palms because you have to use the included Rommer utility to convert the roms into .pdb format. For some who still enjoy playing these old hat games, this is a welcome find. Still, MAME looms on the horizon and I suspect the GP is quite capable of emulating many of the older roms that run under MAME with no problem. Obviously many of the newer games aren't going to run, and I'm sure many people with gripe and groan about it, but for ryleh, Code Jedi and the other coders who continue to bring us these great emulators, rest assured that many in this scene appreciate your efforts!

I have no idea how rlyeh can finish fmame as well as his billion other projects. that guys a machine! But about street fighter 2, that should be playable in the next release of gpengine, its one of the few games that it glitches on :p

Well i know pc engine or tg-16 games were rather slow due to its processing, especially the larger graphic games. I think it'd be a better bet waiting for a good snes emulator, or has anybody tried SF2 or SSF2 on any gp snes emulators, how about sf2 on genesis? :rolleyes:

Well, I'll try to contact him then. But hows this for a compelling argument. If it is based off the MAME source and has been released (as it clearly has) it is ILLEGAL not to provide the source.

The reason why I'm looking for the source is that I have a fairly popular version of MAME that I'd like to see running on the GP32, and I don't want to waste my time redoing things that have already been done several times.

If you distribute the binary (compiled) version of MAME, you should also
distribute the source code. If you can't do that, you must provide a link
to a site where the source can be obtained.

He can just direct you to the pc version source code of mame if he wanted to or he really could be uing OTHER sources and named it fmame for people to reconise it or for the name "multi arcade machine emulator" but we know he uses mame but he can just point u to the source code fpr pc mame if he wanted to

:ph34r:

Actually, you are wrong. A port is a derivative work, and: "Derivative works are allowed, provided their source code is freely available."

*sigh* Why don't people ever trust me on things. I work with the MAME source almost everyday and have people breathing down my neck every time I go against any clause of the license. Trust me on this crap.

Oh, and I couldn't find his e-mail address anywhere, any chance someone here has it?

I am talking to Craig right now, and he no longer has the source. :( However, he said the Phoenix emu for the GP (which does have the source released) is basically the MAME driver, so I'll have a look at that.

How do I play on Craig's Mame Emulator thing?? do I need the Mame Roms of the supported games?? thanks

There's a paragraph in GP32Zine on the Mame port in an article about all Rlyeh's upcoming stuff.

On the SF2 question...SF2 has 6 buttons...the GP32 has 6 buttons, plus you need to control the emulator somehow. The maths doesn't add up...

man. SF2 buttons -- who cares. with the possibility of the zillion other games that could be played on Mame, I think a little street fighter inconvenience is an understandable sacrifice. besides that stuff needs to be played with a proper joystick anyway...!

Back