Gp32 Jtag Cable

adolobe

Still Fresh
OK out of 3 gp32 upgrades Ive done this week only one of them bricked. So I need a JTAG cable from what I can gather to reflash the firmware. Now Ive done some electrical soldering before mainly, ipod/iphone battery replacement, mod chip installation and laptop replacement parts. But never built something from scratch out side of a cable I made for a 32x once.

So Im using http://www.cobbleware.com/gp32/gp32jtag.html as a guide. But I have one question on this schematics Im assuming that if the line crosses and there is a dot its a solder point. If there is no dot the line is not touching. Is this correct?

Ive already ordered an ext connector for the gp32 so Im waiting for that to arrive before I go to Frys Electronics and buy the pcb, diodes, compositors and resistors.

Has anyone on the boards built one of these and can provide any helpful information I might be missing or lacking foresight

Sorry I can't provide any information about how to construct these kind of projects either but I am also interested in 'what to do'.

Judging from what you've said, I would agree that the dots represent points where lines are effectively t-intersections. Non-dotted cross overs are not connected.

I have an electronics friend that I am seeing tonight so I'll take along a print out and see what he says (as I'd like to build one of these myself).

You may already know this, but diodes are directional - you have to make sure that you solder them in the correct way.

slaanesh said:
Sorry I can't provide any information about how to construct these kind of projects either but I am also interested in 'what to do'.

Judging from what you've said, I would agree that the dots represent points where lines are effectively t-intersections. Non-dotted cross overs are not connected.

I have an electronics friend that I am seeing tonight so I'll take along a print out and see what he says (as I'd like to build one of these myself).

You may already know this, but diodes are directional - you have to make sure that you solder them in the correct way.

I went to Frys electronics to purchase all the parts but noticed they were way over charging for them so I ordered it all off ebay. Now I just need to wait a few days for it all to come in. Luckily most of the sellers were located in California so I should have all the parts in a couple of days. I will have enough parts for about 3 or 4 Jtag cables for less than it would of cost me for one at Fry's =/

If im successful in building them I will offer the others to members of the board for the cost of parts and actual shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are successful in building one, I'd be very keen in buying a *completed* cable from you. My soldering skills are fairly average and I don't really have the best equipment for the job.

slaanesh said:
If you are successful in building one, I'd be very keen in buying a *completed* cable from you. My soldering skills are fairly average and I don't really have the best equipment for the job.

I got most of my parts in today still waiting on the DB25 connectors and the Grid boards

By the way it's nice to have another GP32 user on board doing some (hardware) projects.

I'm currently creating an Atari 2600 emulator for the GP32 as there doesn't seem to be anything really good. I wanted something that plays H.E.R.O and River Raid (plus about 20 or so other of my favourite Atari games).

slaanesh said:
By the way it's nice to have another GP32 user on board doing some (hardware) projects.

I'm currently creating an Atari 2600 emulator for the GP32 as there doesn't seem to be anything really good. I wanted something that plays H.E.R.O and River Raid (plus about 20 or so other of my favourite Atari games).

2600 would be awesome My two favorite games were Fast Food and Food Fight. I dunno why but when I was 3 video games with food fascinated me haha

slaanesh said:
I'll make sure these work then... :)

EDIT: Was Food Fight an Atari 2600 game? I can only find it for 7800.

You know your right. Fast Food was for the 7800.

I got all my parts in last week and build the circuitry over the weekend. But the EXT connector I was using was for a R200 phone but it was a super cheap china nock off so it didnt end pretty. I purchased an actual original Samsung cable which should be here in a couple days and then finish everything up

I have a bricked gp32, non BLU, I'm so glad to hear that someone is into possibly doing a JTAG cable, I spendt over 300 dollars on my rig and the thing got bricked 'casue i was being lame with the firmware(s), and i bricked the poor thing. It also sounds very exciting to hear that a possible Atari 2600 emu will be possibly made for these things, I'd love to get this working, even if i have to send it to someone... and have them put the one f/w ... i can't remember all the stuff for it. I know you havd to put one layer of firmware on it, because the one that doesn't have a backlight (mine), can't run homebrew and emus / etc. without the firmware udpdate, but it decided to get greedy and wanted to play around, played with it wrong ( prolly turned it off mid update ), AAAARGH.

help.

lemme know what's up, I'm itching to get this thing going.

oliver-

gopartygo at gmail dot com

Back