Gp32 Emulator

thumpgun

Zombie club life member
Website
Visit site
i asked this before (( it was a year ago at least )) could the gp2x emulate the gp32 and allow us all to play everything the great gp32 had released for it....theres is so much i want to play that has'nt been ported over to the gp2x,,,,it would be ashame to let all the games and programes goto waste.....

from what I have read I don't think its plausable or possible, but I really miss some of the gp32 stuff aswell, I really want somebody to port XROAR to the 2x, I miss playing my Dragon 32 :(

Yeah it's not really plausable to. But porting GP32 apps and games and stuff to the GP2X is more benificial.

We do not have the codes of many of the most wanted stuff, and porting them all needs a very long time, if an emulator was ever possible it will be much better.

There's no way that the GP2X could emulate the GP32 outright, as it's CPU is much too fast. The only way this would work is if we could get code from the GP32's ARM CPU to run natively on the GP2X ARM CPU. But I think if it were that easy, we would be playing fullspeed GBA right now. It would be interesting to hear an answer from a programmer's pov though.

Jaguarandine posted on Feb 16 2007 at 07:27 PM said:
There's no way that the GP2X could emulate the GP32 outright, as it's CPU is much too fast. The only way this would work is if we could get code from the GP32's ARM CPU to run natively on the GP2X ARM CPU. But I think if it were that easy, we would be playing fullspeed GBA right now. It would be interesting to hear an answer from a programmer's pov though.

Simple, like already stated, not everything has source code available, you cannot just take a game and transform it to run on your system either(even if you can get the source code), some things are coded to work with one system(like display/memory/control access), and changing the code to work with the target system can be more hassle thats its worth(for that perticular dev). Sometimes a project like that takes years, and we are talking about people who do not make a living out of doing that sort of thing, donations might be nice, but if you could make a living out of donations to a project, you are Bill Gates the 4th! Or Steve Jobs the Second! Or Linus... you get my point already :p

Last edited by a moderator:
fatdad posted on Feb 16 2007 at 01:07 PM said:
i asked this before (( it was a year ago at least )) could the gp2x emulate the gp32 and allow us all to play everything the great gp32 had released for it....theres is so much i want to play that has'nt been ported over to the gp2x,,,,it would be ashame to let all the games and programes goto waste.....
You werent even signed up a year ago :eek:

when your my age time go's to fast...loli thought it might have been more to be honest...lol

wow its only been over 4 months since i joined here....had to check teletex for the year...lol..could have swore it was 1997 , not 2007 .....were have i been in ten years...must change tablets :)

The problem with emulating the GBA is not the CPU, it is the other chips that are used for graphics.
I believe that a GP32 emulator is possible on the GP2X, as far as I know there were no chips in it that were unique, it had a CPU that can be overclocked to 166 Mhz and an MB of RAM, am not sure but I guess that SMC cards are slower that SDs.
Again I only say that it is possible because I can't find any good reason it is not.
Who knows, maybe one day Zodttd will come up with a Dynarec for the GP32 :D

Of course it's possible, but whether or not someone will bother is another thing, as doing it properly would be a lot of work.

I'd like to play a few of the homebrew games from the gp32 on the gp2x also, but I just play them on the gp32, as it has better battery life :)

sehs33 posted on Feb 17 2007 at 12:07 AM said:
The problem with emulating the GBA is not the CPU, it is the other chips that are used for graphics.
I believe that a GP32 emulator is possible on the GP2X, as far as I know there were no chips in it that were unique, it had a CPU that can be overclocked to 166 Mhz and an MB of RAM, am not sure but I guess that SMC cards are slower that SDs.
Again I only say that it is possible because I can't find any good reason it is not.
Who knows, maybe one day Zodttd will come up with a Dynarec for the GP32 :D
the gp32 had 8mb ram, and its cpu could be overclocked much more on some units, ~254mhz.

aapje89 posted on Feb 17 2007 at 12:59 PM said:
the gp32 had 8mb ram, and its cpu could be overclocked much more on some units, ~254mhz.
Ya but you can have full speed everything (except SNES) on a 166 mhz, my unit is running most of the time on 133 mhz and I never had a problem with anything, so an emulator that can give horse power as much as most unit can will be more than enough :)

Sofox posted on Feb 17 2007 at 01:03 PM said:
The best way to increase the chances of getting a GP32 emulator is just add it to the GP2x bounties: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/GP2X_Bounties .
Is there any evidence that bounties actually increase the probability of the program/game being written/ported?

Back