Gp32 Emulator

WarmFluffyUK

The Big Wad Bolf.
Website
www.retrotech.one
Hia,

Someone may have already asked this, and bare with me if it seems daft but:

I wonder if there will be a GP32 Emulator for the GP2X? I'm guessing that the GP2X isn't backward compatible with GP32 software, so this means devs will have to port them to the GP2X. So a GP32 Emu would be a solution.

Am I talking like a blubbering idiot here, has this topic been covered or is the GP2X in fact backwards compatible? :blink:

It has been talked about a bit.

Suggestion is it is unlikely.

2X not backward compatible.

Apart from comercial apps what would be the point, porting is *always* best. I'm actually a little surprised that the commercial stuff hasn't appeared on the GP2X at launch, as milking an extra few quid from their products has to be a good move.

Cyclops posted on Feb 23 2006 at 11:44 AM said:
Apart from comercial apps what would be the point, porting is *always* best. I'm actually a little surprised that the commercial stuff hasn't appeared on the GP2X at launch, as milking an extra few quid from their products has to be a good move.

yes porting is great except not many people are porting all their stuff to the gp2x hence why i and others have been wondering about it via emulation

also i beleive there have been no commercial games yet due to lack of official SDK and i have heard nothing abou thte DRM protection that the commercial games will need since the pre-launch days

Last edited by a moderator:
The GP2X has roughly the same hardware as the 32 (ARM core) and so it should be quite simple to make an emulator. However, Linux won't let us touch the bits of the hardware we need, so we need an HH OS.

To be absolutely fair. I don't expect anybody to do any porting. I know that not everybody who had a GP32 will get a GP2X or even a PSP/PDS/GBA/DS, or maybe they got a job, moved to India, or maybe even discovered chicks an beer. The world I know sadly does not revolve around the handheld gaming scence, otherwise I would be more of a smash at at parties(although a nice young lady commented on my eyes and john travolta looks at my last one). Why not just ask them all for their source before its too late. I suspect most of them will be willing. I've waited too long for an update of the testcard.

nickspoon posted on Feb 23 2006 at 09:10 AM said:
The GP2X has roughly the same hardware as the 32 (ARM core) and so it should be quite simple to make an emulator. However, Linux won't let us touch the bits of the hardware we need, so we need an HH OS.

"quite simple", in that way that means "really hard" ;)

jeff

Cyclops posted on Feb 23 2006 at 02:11 PM said:
moved to India, or maybe even discovered chicks an beer.

Now you're just being silly. ;)

skeezix posted on Feb 23 2006 at 01:41 PM said:
nickspoon posted on Feb 23 2006 at 09:10 AM said:

"quite simple", in that way that means "really hard" ;)
Not extremely hard though, just incredibly boring, and way beyond what I can and want to do. *wrestles with MPEG-4 decoder*

nickspoon posted on Feb 23 2006 at 07:26 PM said:
Not extremely hard though, just incredibly boring, and way beyond what I can and want to do. *wrestles with MPEG-4 decoder*

Did the documents I gave you help?

* wrestles with gp2x emu for gizmondo ;) *

Cyclops posted on Feb 23 2006 at 02:11 PM said:
To be absolutely fair. I don't expect anybody to do any porting. I know that not everybody who had a GP32 will get a GP2X or even a PSP/PDS/GBA/DS, or maybe they got a job, moved to India, or maybe even discovered chicks an beer. The world I know sadly does not revolve around the handheld gaming scence, otherwise I would be more of a smash at at parties(although a nice young lady commented on my eyes and john travolta looks at my last one). Why not just ask them all for their source before its too late. I suspect most of them will be willing. I've waited too long for an update of the testcard.
:huh: , i dont get your post... testcard?, source?

It would be useful for all the old games that will never be ported to the gp2x, which I think is quite a lot. And I wouldn't really think of it as an emulator, more like a compatibilty layer seeing as the hardware is pretty much alike. Think along the lines of WINE, the win32 compatibility layer for linux

Cyclops posted on Feb 23 2006 at 09:40 PM said:
aapje89 posted on Feb 23 2006 at 09:25 PM said:

Happy Days http://gp32.sector808.org/gp32devcgc2005/
I know the testcard program, had it on my gp32, but I dont get your post...
ah wel forget it, maybe im just stupid.

and Warmfluffy, I didnt expect such a question from such a smart girl as you :p

aapje89 posted on Feb 24 2006 at 11:32 AM said:
Cyclops posted on Feb 23 2006 at 09:40 PM said:
aapje89 posted on Feb 23 2006 at 09:25 PM said:

Happy Days http://gp32.sector808.org/gp32devcgc2005/
I know the testcard program, had it on my gp32, but I dont get your post...
ah wel forget it, maybe im just stupid.

and Warmfluffy, I didnt expect such a question from such a smart girl as you :p

Emulation=Bad, Native=Good.

Back