Gp32 Blu Components N Stuff

lek

Website
www.neverendless.com
I was thinking, its been awhile since Gamepark produced GP32s, and when they did the quality of the components tended to vary, as noted by the fact that some will overclock to 166Mhz out of the box, whereas others require a mod.

What are peoples thoughts on the BLU in this respect? Most of the chips and components used in a GP32 are by now a little better and stabler, simply due to constant refinements in manufacturing processes, etc. This applies to your simple resistors all the way up to the CPU itself.

With this in mind I'm wondering if we can expect to see BLU's running above 166Mhz? (I know some people have done so already, but will it be more widespread with the coming of the BLU)

I wonder if Gamepark have used old component stock to build the new GP32's, or whether they have bought new and thus hopefully "better" components?

Also, how do people think the BLU's screen will be handled? Are we talking the same ribbon and socket connection on the PCB as with the current screen, but with a lighting sheet behind it? I wonder where the backlight will draw its power from on the PCB?

And I presume we are going to see some extra components to handle the turning on of the backlight, if it is indeed controlled by holding down the start button for 3 secs. That would need something to register that it had been held down.

About overclocking above 166, it is a memory issure that is holding us back from overclocking above 166, and because of this, higher clockspeeds don't effect the GP32 besides wairing down the battery. As for everything else, I guess only time will tell, but I hope an overclocking mod will still be possible. Myself, I can't wait untill people start getting their BLU's and taking them apart. B)

My hope is that once the BLU comes out maybe someone will develop a BLU kit for the older GP32s so I can finally play without having to be near a source of light.

Yeah, I realise that there is the 166Mhz limit, but I was unsure what the next limit was before the memory speed increases again? 200Mhz core with mem at 100Mhz? or is it 266Mhz core with mem at 133?

If 200Mhz core would give 100Mhz mem = performance increase, then that would be something to aim for. If it's 266Mhz...oh well, the BLU won't be oc'ing to that any time soon... ;)

About overclocking above 166, it is a memory issure that is holding us back from overclocking above 166, and because of this, higher clockspeeds don't effect the GP32 besides wairing down the battery. As for everything else, I guess only time will tell, but I hope an overclocking mod will still be possible. Myself, I can't wait untill people start getting their BLU's and taking them apart. B)
IT IS NOT A MEMORY ISSUE!!!!!!11111 FOR THE BILLIONTH TIME! IT IS NOT A MEMORY ISSUE!!!!! :rolleyes: NO MORE caps

Last edited by a moderator:
IT IS NOT A MEMORY ISSUE!!!!!!11111 FOR THE BILLIONTH TIME! IT IS NOT A MEMORY ISSUE!!!!! :rolleyes: NO MORE caps
Sorry, that's what I understood from the previous threads. They said that the memory could not keep up with the CPU and higher clockspeeds. Pease tell me what is the problem then since I am misinformed. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back