Gp2x-yape: A Commodore Plus/4 Emulator For Gp2x V1.0.1

zx-81

Certified Guru
Website
zx81.zx81.free.fr
gp2xyape-snap-v101.jpg

Yape is the best emulator of Commodore microcomputer family running
on Windows and Unix.
The emulator faithfully imitates the C-264 (alias Commodore Plus/4) model.
It has been written by Attila Grósz, see http://yape.plus4.net for details.

GP2X-Yape is a port of the version v0.32.4.
[cut]
How to use it ? Everything is in the README.txt file.

You can download it here :
archive.gp2x

Enjoy,

Zx.[/cut]

Thanks very much :)

Commodore Plus 4 was the computer I had as a kid,going to try the classics such as Treasure Island,Icicle Works,Saboteur and Auf Wiedershen Monty

redstripe said:
Thanks very much :)

Commodore Plus 4 was the computer I had as a kid,going to try the classics such as Treasure Island,Icicle Works,Saboteur and Auf Wiedershen Monty
It's a bit slow. On a PSP i had to set the clock to 333Mhz to get a playable speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not trying to flame you or anything, but I've tested a few of your emulators and they've all run slow, had graphical and compatibility issues. You might want to try optimizing them a bit more rather than leaving them the way they were for PSP. Remember, the GP2X is slower!

Destructo2000 said:
I'm not trying to flame you or anything, but I've tested a few of your emulators and they've all run slow, had graphical and compatibility issues. You might want to try optimizing them a bit more rather than leaving them the way they were for PSP.
I've already answered you that all those releases are first release ... May be some of them will stay as is, may be i will still work on them to improve speed etc ... (if i find enough motivation).

Anyway if you don't like them, i won't be affected ;), please use already ported emus, working fine and faster ;).

Destructo2000 said:
Remember, the GP2X is slower!
Really ? i didn't know :D :D :D :D

Great work ZX-81, just would like you to know there are many of us that actually appreciate your work and understand that first releases are first releases. So thanks again for everything and please dont let some ungratefull little turds push you around. :)

I am curious... are you planning on releasing source code for our GP2X version of your emulators?

I hope you do find motivation to make some improvements. I think your emulator are great, have a nice frontend and are generally nice to use.

Perhaps already suggested previously, if your emulators are not using mmuhack.o and Optimized Ram Timings, it would of course be worthwhile including these speedups.

I owned a Commodore +4 many years ago. I used it to program a bit and then sold it. Can anyone suggest some nice software for it?

Iorgy77 said:
Great work ZX-81, just would like you to know there are many of us that actually appreciate your work and understand that first releases are first releases. So thanks again for everything and please dont let some ungratefull little turds push you around. :)

slaanesh said:
I am curious... are you planning on releasing source code for our GP2X version of your emulators?
Source code is available on my web site ... (replace -bin by -src on zip archive url).

slaanesh said:
I hope you do find motivation to make some improvements. I think your emulator are great, have a nice frontend and are generally nice to use.

slaanesh said:
Perhaps already suggested previously, if your emulators are not using mmuhack.o and Optimized Ram Timings, it would of course be worthwhile including these speedups.
I will try this hint, thanks.

This is a dream come true to me as I love the C16/Plus 4 machines. Hopefully it will be full speed soon.

Choosing software to run on this emulator is great, there is so much to choose from. Most people see this machine as a failure but there are some fantastic games.

Check out:

Sabotuer
Trail Blazer
Quadrillion
Out on a Limb
Tom Thumb
The Dizzy games
Icicle Works
Head over heels
Treasure Island
Tutti Frutti
Into the Eagles Nest
Supremacy

To name a few, for more games have a look at my site Commodore16.com

Iorgy77 said:
Oh wow. Look its called constructive criticism alright. I hardly think that letting someone know that their emulator runs slow means I don't know what first releases are. I'm just letting him know the area he needs to work on jeez. Sorry if I made you made but as I said, I wasn't trying to flame you. I'm just trying to help, but I guess I'm not allowed to do that.

Destructo2000 said:
Iorgy77 said:
Oh wow. Look its called constructive criticism alright. I hardly think that letting someone know that their emulator runs slow means I don't know what first releases are. I'm just letting him know the area he needs to work on jeez. Sorry if I made you made but as I said, I wasn't trying to flame you. I'm just trying to help, but I guess I'm not allowed to do that.

I don't remember quoting you... meh, if the shoe fits...

Destructo2000 said:
Oh wow. Look its called constructive criticism alright.
"Your emulators are slow and buggy" isn't constructive criticism. "You might want to try using ram timings and the MMU hack" is, as is "Check out the source for MESS, since they seem to do things faster or more compatible". The difference being that the latter, whilst implicitly stating the same thing, also advices a way to make things better. Hence constructive.

Example: "You're ugly and fat" - Not constructive. "You're ugly and fat. Let me give you the number to my plastic surgeon" - Constructive :p

Moxie said:
"Your emulators are slow and buggy" isn't constructive criticism. "You might want to try using ram timings and the MMU hack" is, as is "Check out the source for MESS, since they seem to do things faster or more compatible". The difference being that the latter, whilst implicitly stating the same thing, also advices a way to make things better. Hence constructive.

Example: "You're ugly and fat" - Not constructive. "You're ugly and fat. Let me give you the number to my plastic surgeon" - Constructive :p
Very good explanation :), i would not have done better :D

Moxie said:
"You're ugly and fat" - Not constructive.
"You're ugly and fat. Let me give you the number to my plastic surgeon" - Constructive :p
thats ace. :)

anyways, I read Treasure Island above, and it was ringing bells, but not very loudly, so I stuck it into Wikipedia, and found out it was this game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_Island_(computer_game)

Man, I LOVED this on my ol' speccy... If you want to give it a blast you can play it online here (click the Java icon):

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0005400

(note to mods; this is a legal link, owners of this site always request permission from original publishers for roms)

umm, but back on topic; Nice one ZX-81.. you really are a machine! :)

Moxie said:
Example: "You're ugly and fat. Let me give you the number to my plastic surgeon" - Constructive :p
To which the constructive answer is

"I may be a bit cuddly but I consider myself handsome and looking at the state of you, your plastic surgeon is obviously rubbish. Let me give you the number of the local freak show, I'm sure they'll have a job for you"

but anyway

I don't know why so many people are expecting perfect emulators.
  1. 1 zx-81 has always stated that these are ports of PSP versions with the controls changed so even if the speed is fine on this PSP, it is likely to be slower on the GP2X.
  2. 2 I think I'm right in saying all these emulators are ports (zx-81 is not the original author) so a lot of bugs will probably be in the original code.

Parkydr said:
I think I'm right in saying all these emulators are ports (zx-81 is not the original author) so a lot of bugs will probably be in the original code.
Yes, all those emulators are ports, and what i've modified is often less than 20% of the original code.

The modifications are generally the following :

- rewrite the sound part with SDL and using dedicated settings for PSP (or gp2x)
- rewrite the graphical part with SDL
- rewrite the keyboard/joystick input part using dedicated code for PSP (or Gp2x)
- remove dead code
- fix hardware issue (such as bad word / byte alignements, endianness, packed struct etc ...)
- fix compiler issue (mismatch between gcc versions etc ...)
- fix bugs in the original emulator source code
- add a real user interface
- add many news features and settings, such as save state, screenshot, keyboard configurations etc ...
(since most of all my emu ports are simple command line emulator running on unix/linux systems)
- design graphics and virtual keyboard images.

Back