Gp2X Spectrum Wiz Version

SplinterGU

Still Fresh
I already have ported the GP2XSpectrum emulator to wiz... but I use SDL for video...

I'll need to resolve some stuffs with this...

1) some video flashing in menu screens
2) sound suppourt

I remove some stuffs, like full_screen...

This was a fast port... I was take 2 or 3 hours with it...
Soon I share this with all you...

WIP Version: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6IC2AIIZ

You sir, are an officer and a gentleman of the highest order. :D

Many thanks for your efforts. I look forward to seeing the fruits of your labour.

Excellent job so far, just the sound and the keyboard flickering to sort out then we'll have ourselves another excellent emulator.
A quick question though: Is it possible to map the D-pad and the 6 buttons to speccy keypresses?
Keep up the good work!

Edit:
Sorry, but I just noticed a few more problems:
1. Diagonals don't seem to be working. (But you can fire & move at the same time!)
2. The game selection menu has no fast scroll option. (It takes ages to get to the required game, even if they're put into a-z folders)
3. Is there any way of disabling the battery thing? (Without having to do it manually on every start up) (or just delete it from the options screen)
4. The emulator hangs up on exit. :(

Another Edit:
Please ignore the button mapping comment above, I've sussed out how to do it. (I downloaded the readme from the gp2x version!)
There's also a Wikipedia page on this emulator: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/GP2Xpectrum

Does anybody else think the emulated joystick fire button and the menu buttons seem back to front? (Up against what we're used to, usually B for fire/accept)

For the button mapping, from my old speccy days here's the most common used.

Keys )Q "up" ,A "down", O "left" ,P"right" Space "fire".
Kempston joystick. not sure what keys it maps but I think it's numbers and zero for fire.
Arrow keys (the top number row)

A virtual keyboard would be ace too. (how else can I get out of the goblins dungeon?)
One that used the touchscreen if poss but I think that things busted until later firmwares.

This emulator lets you map speccy keypresses to the 4 D-pad directions and the A,B,X,Y buttons. (I can't map L & R though, or can I?)
You can save the keypress settings for each game, there's also a (very flickery) virtual keyboard.
If we can have the above problems (in my post above) sorted, we'll have an excellent emulator.

Thanks... I'll fix all this... but I need time... I now do a pause to this works... in some days a can attack it again...

I've just noticed (in the GP2X version readme) that some of the problems above have been sorted out in the newer versions of GP2XSpectrum (on the GP2X)
(Menu scrolling, mapping L & R buttons and a few other bits & bobs)
Could you use a newer version of this to port? The latest GP2X version is v1.7.2 ( http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,72,1786 ), you're still using v1.1
Also is there any way of changing the default model for TAP and TZX files (most don't load on 128k, without reseting to 48k)
Could an accept key be put on the save/load state options (I'm forever wiping my saved games by saving instead of loading)
I'm looking forward to the next update. :D
(I still can't used to A (not B ) being the fire button, the menu buttons seem back to front as well)

This will be top priority for me! Even my pandora (if I ever get it before I die) will be 'meh' until there is a good spectrum emulator on it!

I see a newer version has been uploaded here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,72,175
It now has sound. (It's a bit tinny though, and the vol- & vol+ are a bit 'all or nothing')
The diagonal problem, the menu scrolling has been speeded up and the flickery menu screen are fixed now. :)
Excellent job so far on this port.
Is this the final release or is it going to get another update? (I've put a few ideas in my above posts) ;)

WarmFluffyUK said:
Am I missing something as I can't get it to work. As soon as I choose any game the emulator exits to the Wiz menu :(

Mine ran first time, I just put GP2XpectrumWiz folder and the .ini into the game folder.

I put my vast array of Z80's, TAP's & TZX's (in a-z folders) into the rom folder and loaded it through the Wiz menu and away it went.
Are you using the prototype at the top of this page or the updated one from the archive (link above)?
Don't forget when it says press 'start' on the menus press 'menu'
Good luck!

Edit: I just seen your post on the archive, the 48K, 128K, +2 & +3 roms are already built in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the one from the file archive, but I will download again in case of corruption.

Addition:
Okay it's working :) I must have had a bad download or something.

I really should get on and finish the compatibility lists as this is just the thing it was intended for...

thanks splinter,you are a genius.
does anyone know of a good specy romset with just the best say 100 games?I dont want the whole set!

mike88 said:
thanks splinter,you are a genius.
does anyone know of a good specy romset with just the best say 100 games?I dont want the whole set!

Try here: http://www.worldofspectrum.org/archive.html
The 'Top 100 list' link is at the top of this page.

SplinterGU said:
maybe lower and upper case problem in name...
the .ini must call .gpu file

Oh, I've always called the .gpe with the .ini without any problems. (Does it make any difference?)
While I'm here, is there any news of an update?

Edit: Calling the .gpu fixes the hang up on exit. (Sorry, I always use the .gpe's for all my other games)

Excellent update. :)
Could confirmation for load/save state & save keyboard be added on the next release? (Also when you exit a game & start a new one the old keyboard settings are still remembered)
When loading .TAP files the default start up the model is the 128k, could this be changable on the options screen? (A lot of games won't run under 128k and the emulator needs to be reset to 48k)

Well done SplinterGU. :)

Back