Gp2x Seems Dead. No Screen On Powerup.

I’m back. Anyone see a pattern forming?

I got on the train last night for my usual Sunday night 2hr train trip, with four fully charged batteries. Turned the 2X on, started a movie, and it died within a minute. I began to suspect over the weekend that one of my batteries was cactus, so it wasn’t a big surprise. I put the fresh set in, and... black screen. I became angry.

As it happened, I had my AC adaptor in my bag. No power outlets on the train of course, but I figured that even plugging in the 3V end unpowered causes the internal supply to switch over. So I plugged it in for laughs, unplugged it, and the unit fired up. It ran as normal for the whole trip.

Updated conclusions:

1. I can no longer trust it to work when I’m out and about. I’ll keep a dummy power plug in my case for emergencies.
2. I need to replace one pair of batteries.

Another solution would be not to use the train anymore, since it seems your gp2x doesn't like train rides :D

As you probably know, the power jack has a built-in mechanical switch, which makes the gp2x switch off batteries when on AC. This is to avoid that the AC power charges your batteries through the power regulator, which isn't designed for that job.

When simply plugging and unplugging the AC makes your gp2x work again, it could be that the switch in the power jacket isn't working reliably anymore. It needs some care, since it won't get better in time. A full replacement would be even better.

You might be right about it hating trains. Luckily, I have just this week procured myself an automobile. :D So even though I want my GP2X to keep kicking, it's no longer critical to my sanity. As far as gremlins go, it was decently timed.

Back