Gp2x, Really?

thetinman posted on Jul 16 2006 at 11:59 AM said:
i don't want a PSP or DS! the whole reason i looked into it was because of the classice games! and the only reason i'm asking is becuase most of you guys know what you're talking about and i thought you would help me
thetinman posted on Jul 16 2006 at 11:04 AM said:
but, is it worth 189.99$ for classic games?
That's your quote. I don't know, that's the feeling I got from you.

I think it's worth it if it helps. I have one, and love it to death :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Shikaku posted on Jul 16 2006 at 08:59 AM said:
Then buy it. We are here if you are stuck and need help, but we won't hold your hand on setting things up.

Exactly. All the readme's explain things just fine.

craigix posted on Jul 16 2006 at 04:05 PM said:
The GP2X isn't for you. Don't waste your money.

how can you tell?

Funny thing. I got a DS and I went on a crazy spending spree and bought every good game for it. I did this until about four months ago. Then I got my gp2x and I spend all my time either watching movies, just finished watching underworld evolution, or playing old school games, like double dragon 2. To be honest I'm not one for classic gaming but when ever I'm on a long trip or just bored it really helps time fly by. I've also discovered new systems, like pc engine, that are worth trying out.

Honestly the best thing about gp2x is that every once in a while you come to this page and there is some crazy news about something new. You never know what to expect. I think that makes it worth while since the gp2x is a system that is constantly improving and you dont get that with a psp or ds. Also you save a bunch of money with it.

gp2x with a bunch of accessories (including 2 gig sd card) and shipping: about $300

used ds with 8 games: about $395

gp2x currently: take everywhere with me
nintendo ds currently: with gf playing nintendo dogs

If you really really like commercial games dont get it, cuz its never going to have a large library of commercial games, but if you want a device that does a lot of things including playing classic games, homebrew games, and is "different" then this might be for you. If not get a ds or even a psp.

It sounds to me that you might just want an easier system to handle. The GP2X is amazing once you get everything set up, but you need some patience or you might just throw it out the window when you can't get the Neo-Geo emulator working ;)

thetinman posted on Jul 16 2006 at 09:04 AM said:
I just found the GP2X yesterday and from the start it sounded great. but the more i learn about it, and the more i see it's capabilities and limitations. i'm wondering, is it worth the money? i mean it sounds great, like the movie, music, game, photo player, and stuff like that. but, is it worth 189.99$ for classic games? if i'm missing something that the GP2X can do, please inform me.
There's more stuff to do on the gp2x than I have time to explore, and I have never even installed an emulator.

craigix posted on Jul 16 2006 at 11:05 AM said:
A GP2X distributor detracts potential customers...

JaqMs posted on Jul 16 2006 at 04:59 PM said:
i don't know why

wipeout2000 posted on Jul 16 2006 at 09:17 AM said:
gp2x with a bunch of accessories (including 2 gig sd card) and shipping: about $300
I would have bought it at Play-Asia.com were I you. I payed $256 for the 3-day shipping and a TV-Cable, and a 2GB 150x SD(bought that from Newegg.com, $51 with shipping, I think it is even cheaper now, like $46)
used ds with 8 games: about $395
Sure, that sounds about right.

Dzz posted on Jul 16 2006 at 09:50 AM said:
thetinman posted on Jul 16 2006 at 09:04 AM said:
I just found the GP2X yesterday and from the start it sounded great. but the more i learn about it, and the more i see it's capabilities and limitations. i'm wondering, is it worth the money? i mean it sounds great, like the movie, music, game, photo player, and stuff like that. but, is it worth 189.99$ for classic games? if i'm missing something that the GP2X can do, please inform me.
There's more stuff to do on the gp2x than I have time to explore, and I have never even installed an emulator.
Agreed, I don't have the time or the energy to look into half the homebrew in the archive, and I don't even play the emulator's all that much.

I did have fun with X11 and GPE with my mouse and keyboard plugged into USB, try that on another handheld for under $200 :). (X11 provides services to programs to display to the screen, and GPE is a desktop on the service, think Windows CE for Linux)

More and more is being ported and written every single day, it is an amazing device with a lot of potential even if you never run an emulator.

Buy from Play-Asia.com if you want the best price, $196 total with 3-day shipping, and $205 with a TV-Out cable. Buy SD from Newegg.com, check prices against eBay if you don't believe me :).

thetinman posted on Jul 16 2006 at 12:02 PM said:
JaqMs posted on Jul 16 2006 at 04:59 PM said:
i don't know why

because the gp2x is not a DS or PSP where you take it out of the box, put in a game cartridge, and it runs. You need to tinker, play, modify scripts, read readme files, and in general spend some time reading FAQs and WIKIs to find out what/how to do things.

The OP has shown in several of these posts that he doesn't have that type of personality...so it's actually good to recommend he look elsewhere as he'd likely end up a discouraged customer who would then post all over the place about how the GP2X is crap.

I actually agree with Craig, I don't think that you're right for this system. It sounds like you're already negative on the GP2x and classic gaming in general. Also, you said that you've done reading on this, but it doesn't sound like you comprehended much of it, if any.

In the end, it's your choice. But you have to be ready to read a lot, and accept the system's limitations. If basically the entire collection of NES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Sega Master System, PC Engine, Game Gear, Neo-Geo, an assload of MAME games, and homebrew isn't enough for you still, nothing will sway you.

And it WILL cost you more than $189 because you have to buy a GOOD set of rechargable batteries and an SD card.

Buy a DS, that will play all the GBA games you want.

::edited to make it less rude::

BobBorakovitz posted on Jul 16 2006 at 07:34 PM said:
.. See you in the PSP scene! ;)

nice one ! What PSP scene !

:rolleyes:

Oh yer the Scene where you have to have a certain release and/or a copy of GTA ???

No thanks !!

:D

I would still with the gp2x, portable neo geo is worth it alone and no hassle...

(PS I have a PSP also !!- dont use it, and no its not for sale, will keep it as a reminder of how wrong a big company can get something !!)
:p

Why are so many people trying to discourage him? Believe it or not, people can learn new skills. Before I got the gp32, I was in a similar situation to many of the new people on this board; I had only ever used game systems like the gameboy advance and I was completely unprepared for the gp32. I did some research, but probably not enough. I was under the impression that it would emulate snes and gba just about perfect (yeah, it sounds funny now, but people used to say it would happen on the gp32 some day...).

When I first got it, I was disappointed. I had read all of the speculation about it and it didn't live up to the speculation. Finally I decided to set up some emulators for systems that I initially had no interest in (c64, colecovision, etc.) and I found that I LOVED these simple old games (I am STILL addicted to M.U.L.E., it is better than about 99% of modern games). I began to get into the community and checked this website every day for updates and it was always great to get home and find that there was something new (especially when rlyeh released his f-day preview and when I tried out DrMD. On the homebrew side of things, coming home to Nazca Dreams was quite a pleasant surprise).

After awhile, I actually started to make my own games for the gp32 (well, I only released one, Fate). When I heard about the gp2x I preordered it immediately and I have been thoroughly enjoying the gp2x since it arrived.

The gp2x isn't for everyone, and it requires a bit of patience to truly enjoy. However, you don't have to be a computer expert to enjoy it, as many people seem to think (although being a computer expert would definitely help). If you're willing to research things on your own, try to fix things on your own (or at least search these boards before posting), and read and follow all of the readmes, I don't think you will have much trouble with the gp2x. For the most part, it works exactly as it's instended to, and if you follow all of the instructions everything will work (however, this isn't ALWAYS true, I'm still having trouble with SCUMMVM, for example).

If you are willing to spend some time getting things to work on the gp2x and the sound of playing classic games, homebrew, and videos is appealing, I think you will really enjoy the gp2x.

Nickmon posted on Jul 16 2006 at 02:42 PM said:
BobBorakovitz posted on Jul 16 2006 at 07:34 PM said:
.. See you in the PSP scene! ;)

nice one ! What PSP scene !

:rolleyes:

Oh yer the Scene where you have to have a certain release and/or a copy of GTA ???

No thanks !!

:D

I would still with the gp2x, portable neo geo is worth it alone and no hassle...

(PS I have a PSP also !!- dont use it, and no its not for sale, will keep it as a reminder of how wrong a big company can get something !!)
:p

Yeah, i was editing that while you were replying just to make it 'cleaner,' but, I actually agree with you. It just seems that he'd fit in more there. I have a PSP and I hardly ever use it, especially since the UMD laser is broken already, so all it can do is homebrew (which the GP2x is better at, anyway besides the SNES)

I'd hate to see someone get a gp2x and not have the skills or the patience to use it, they're just gonna get pissed off when their batteries don't work or when they see the colored lines for the first time. Next thing we know - there's another JaqMS on the boards.

Back