Gp2x Problems Megathread

Rico

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
This thread is for the collation of any general hardware/software messups you guys have experienced with your GP2X. Please do not post problems with particular games or applications - just things that happen all the time, hardware problems, or firmware oddities.

Hot batteries
This shouldn't really happen!

Crap joysytick
Check out: possible fix (voids warranty), simpler fix and a cool mod

Slow boot-up
Wait for new firmware

Dead GP2X and again
Try this guide or return it.

Is the screen protector removable?
Maybe!

Power adapter in odd position
Not really a problem, but you're not alone if you don't like it!

Now it's your turn!

Last edited by a moderator:
And the lousy headphone jack just came to my mind, it breaks to easy if you push in the earphones to hard, I think there were a lot of threads about it...

Oooh, some units have a coating on the battery contacts ... could cause issues.

no wired USB HOST! :D

it's a problem as much as the power adapter's position or the choice of the joystick :p

volume button wasn't working,

tried fiddling about with it but have no idea what the cause was.

Sent it back to Craigix, fantastic service, fixed it and sent it straight back, no delay, no quibbles. Didn't say what the problem was though or how he fixed it, still he may have been a bit busy at the time.

Don't know if this counts but I tested my batteries (Uniross tester, Uniross 2000mAh rechargables) after my GP2X stopped cooperating with them and the tester say they're still good. :blink: And they can still go for a couple more days in my mouse.

Mr. Pointless posted on Dec 16 2005 at 10:12 PM said:
Don't know if this counts but I tested my batteries (Uniross tester, Uniross 2000mAh rechargables) after my GP2X stopped cooperating with them and the tester say they're still good. :blink: And they can still go for a couple more days in my mouse.
Tests shows Uniross batteries suffer a significant decrease compared to anssmann or gp power batteries, so your uniross 2000 mAh might only be at 1400 mAh in reality, and so have far less power than you think, especially if they've been charged alot of times, the gp2x requires a healthy supply of power to work well!.

Epsilon posted on Dec 17 2005 at 03:35 AM said:
Mr. Pointless posted on Dec 16 2005 at 10:12 PM said:
Don't know if this counts but I tested my batteries (Uniross tester, Uniross 2000mAh rechargables) after my GP2X stopped cooperating with them and the tester say they're still good. :blink:  And they can still go for a couple more days in my mouse.
Tests shows Uniross batteries suffer a significant decrease compared to anssmann or gp power batteries, so your uniross 2000 mAh might only be at 1400 mAh in reality, and so have far less power than you think, especially if they've been charged alot of times, the gp2x requires a healthy supply of power to work well!.

Agreed. Always a good idea to us fairly new, high-capacity batteries.

anybody else notice the 2x hanging on boot (green screen) as much as 20-30% of the time?
I'm talking about freezing when it's not having the 'low battery crazies' and it really doesn't seem to care if it's a warmer or completely cold boot.

certainly feels like the kernel, and 1.1.0 doesn't seem to have helped it.

Reaperman93010 posted on Dec 23 2005 at 03:05 AM said:
anybody else notice the 2x hanging on boot (green screen) as much as 20-30% of the time?
I'm talking about freezing when it's not having the 'low battery crazies' and it really doesn't seem to care if it's a warmer or completely cold boot.

certainly feels like the kernel, and 1.10 doesn't seem to have helped it.

Probably not 20%-30% of the time but yeah it does happen. But for me I have noticed it is usually on a cold boot.

Iorgy77 posted on Dec 23 2005 at 04:08 AM said:
Reaperman93010 posted on Dec 23 2005 at 03:05 AM said:

certainly feels like the kernel, and 1.10 doesn't seem to have helped it.

Probably not 20%-30% of the time but yeah it does happen. But for me I have noticed it is usually on a cold boot.

I noticed this but only when the USB cable is plugged in to the unit.

Yes, mine is hanging on the green screen AT LEAST 30% of the time...usually when I turn it off and back on again.

Also, is it normal to kill off a pair of Duracell batteries with about an hour and a half use?

Reaperman93010 posted on Dec 22 2005 at 09:05 PM said:

Reaperman93010 posted on Dec 22 2005 at 10:05 PM said:

ah that would be me too. It happens, say, 30-35 % of the time. It's pretty annoying but not terrible

hi, i just couldn't help but notice... but ...

looks like basically everything about the gp2x is lousy...

- bad case...
- screen issues...
- bad joystick...
- badly placed power jack...
- bad headphone jack...
- bad usb file transfer support...
- long boot time...
- bad sd support...
- bad battery life...
- bad tv out...

Seems like everything that was the point of having a GP2X is just not even practically there. Are they even checking the units before shipping them out??

When will it be safe to buy a gp2x without being completely dissapointed??

you mean when will they fix everything you listed? probably never. If I've caught your tone correctly, that sounds about like when you'd be happy with one.

mine has issues, but I'm happy with mine. Now that it's got more than one 'killer app', that is.

karmacop911 posted on Dec 28 2005 at 06:09 PM said:
- bad case...
- screen issues...
- bad joystick...
- badly placed power jack...
- bad headphone jack...
- bad usb file transfer support...
- long boot time...
- bad sd support...
- bad battery life...
- bad tv out...
mine only has bad joystick and bad USB (using a powered hub fixes that). yet to try tv out.

im happy with mine

Back