Gp2x Porting


PoisonedV

Yeah, I'm a GIRL gamer, what of it?
Joined
Oct 20, 2006
Messages
3,096
Age
30
Website
Visit site
The GP2X are both ARM-based, and both run Linux. I bet they will probably require minimal effort to port- so my question is, devs, are any of you going to port your software, or anyone elses? Is there any software that anyone thinks should be ported?

(I thought this was split down the middle between general/dev, so move it if i was wrong)
 

Rayek

Recovering Sega Addict
Joined
Nov 14, 2005
Messages
1,021
Age
34
Location
Worcester, MA
PicoDrive... PicoDrive. I would like Sega CD on the Pandora, and would graciously request 32X support ;)
 

Insanemal

Still Fresh
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
29
READ THE DAMN WIKI/FAQ

Im pretty sure 2x porting/compatability was covered in there.
 

ruckage

Certified Guru
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
659
Insanemal said:
READ THE DAMN WIKI/FAQ

Im pretty sure 2x porting/compatability was covered in there.
READ THE ORIGINAL DAMN POST!! - sorry but you came across as particularly abrasive and without reason. Though issues regarding porting may be in the wiki PoisonedV wanted to know what software people would like to see ported and whether any devs were considering porting their own software.

For my projects once Fenix is ported to pandora porting should be fairly easy - may just require some control modifications but I probably wont port anything until I actually have a Pandora myself as there isn't much incentive to port to a platform you can't use yourself, also I can then add in some extra effects to use more of the available power.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Joined
May 30, 2006
Messages
5,486
Location
Detroit, Michigan
Website
Visit site
PoisonedV said:
The GP2X are both ARM-based, and both run Linux. I bet they will probably require minimal effort to port- so my question is, devs, are any of you going to port your software, or anyone elses? Is there any software that anyone thinks should be ported?

(I thought this was split down the middle between general/dev, so move it if i was wrong)
Once the hw arrives and SDL is squared away count on it. That's all thats needed to port wolf4sdl, dosbox, and the other things ive worked on.
Porting will actually be easier since the keyboard is there. For example dosbox wont need to have the joystick hacked in to send keyboard keys.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

iprice

Certified Guru
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
3,281
Age
49
Location
MK. UK. OK.
Website
Visit site
ruckage said:
For my projects once Fenix is ported to pandora porting should be fairly easy - may just require some control modifications but I probably wont port anything until I actually have a Pandora myself as there isn't much incentive to port to a platform you can't use yourself, also I can then add in some extra effects to use more of the available power.
I created a GP2X game (B'lox!) initially on pc, without owning a GP2X and relied on others to test on proper machines. Whilst the feedback I got (especially from manjuu and sbock) was fantastic, it was almost impossible to see where errors and problems occured and ages to get even the simplest things working (admittedly this was due to a major bug in GLBasic which prevented the touchscreen working properly). I would never do that again. The moment I actually got a GP2X, I was able to see numerous problems and fix them pretty quickly (although still needed further testing).

Trying to create software for a machine that you don't have access to is a nigh impossible task. Therefore, I too will wait until I get a real machine before even attempting to create a game or a port for it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

PokeParadox

Founder of Pirate Games - Penjin Coder
Staff member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
6,541
Age
36
Location
UK
Website
www.projectinfinity.org.uk
Yes CromoZome will be ported and at the same time the current version will be released for the GP2X :)

Porting should be fairly straightforward since it's almost a given that SDL will be available for Pandora. The way Penjin is developing it's very easy to add more platform support. I also intend to cover Wii homebrew too.
 
Top