Gp2x Or Xgp?

ishould

Still Fresh
I'm short on money but would still love to get one of these. Is there any news as to when the XGP will come out, or how much more powerful it will be over the GP2X?

the only thing thing that the xgp have and that the gp2x doesn't (in the hardware (power-wise)) is the 3d accelerator. But the community is going with the gp2x, so why would you need a 3d accelerator if there's nothing to run on it?

Just look at the other threads with the same topic...

Beside don't believe that it is sure that the XGP will be out at any time.

Doing a comparison is a little hard at this point because there are so many unknowns about the XGP. Game Park hasn't been very forthcoming about it lately, and as with most things that we can only read about through translated material, there's a lot of misinformation floating around. There's no firm release date for it or even evidence of its being anywhere close to ready for release. Details of its capabilities are sketchy and boastful at best. Whereas the GP2X at least has a (slowly sliding but nonetheless soon) release date, with final specs and pre-release units in developers' hands. There are hard answers about the GP2X, while the XGP (save for a handful of trade show displays) is just one step removed from vaporware at this time, making comparing them pretty much impossible.

If you want my opinion, however.... My gut instinct says that the XGP will be the more powerful handheld but will utlimately flop, either because it's become entirely too ambitious for its developer to actually complete reliably (what the heck is a cell phone keypad doing on there?) or because it seems it's basically throwing away the international market it had with the GP32 by moving away from an open development model.

This is as opposed to the GP2X, which has embraced open development and is providing even better international availability. Though it lacks the 3D accelerator of its half-brother, I see this not as the GP2X being "weaker" but as Game Park Holdings knowing their limits and accepting that a 3D accelerator is a mite too ambitious for a small company. especially one that has to keep costs in check without being sure they'll ship more than several thousand units.

The handheld market is very difficult to compete in, especially outside of Asia. The GP32 is one of the few handhelds that not only didn't drive its creators to bankrupcy but actually made enough of a profit to warrant a successor. (Well, two successors, actually.) This had as much or more to do with its adoption on an international level by the homebrew and emulation scenes as it did with its actual hardware power, and I am concerned Game Park is blind to this fact in their starry-eyed desire to "play with the big boys," not realizing that the big boys play rough and that they are abandoning the fans that made the GP32 a success. While the GP32 may not have been a commercial success in the sense of becoming a market leader, it was a commercial success in the sense that it survived where others had failed and attracted a large and devoted following. A following which has almost exclusively migrated with the original development team to Game Park Holdings' new handheld, the GP2X, which better fits their needs and desires.

And ultimately, a console no one buys will get no games, no matter how powerful it could be in the right hands.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to hold off until the GP2x is released and then probably get it. I didn't know the XGP wasn't as open source as the GP32 and GP2x. I really like the open-source-ness of the GP2x which is the main reason I'm going to purchase it.

ishould

The original GamePark company had split for a reason.

One side wanted a continuation of the GP32, the second a completely new hadheld capable to compete directly even with the PSP.

So we have the GP2x first, the less ambitious project. It will ship soon and developers already have it. Then the XGP is still an unknow at this time. What specs it will have, when it ship, and how much it will cost - all of these things are unknow.

So... I'm not sure myself what think about the XGP...

It might be way better than the GP2x or not...
However we know almost everything about the GP2x and there are already production grade units available for some persons.

My prediction? XGP is gonna flop, same as the Gizmondo did.

Unless you're Nintendo, there's no way you're going to compete with Sony. The only thing that is keeping Nintendo in the gaming market is because of their innovative designs and games for all ages.

Future handheld makers should really keep this in mind when they go to put their console to market, and really consider what has made past handheld gaming devices successful in the past - even right down to the GP32s success of targetting the homebrew and emulation scene.

Bassicly, if you want homebrew, emulators, and other projects, stay with the gp2x. That's where the community, the action, is.

Xgp will surely be more powerful, because it will have a 3d accelerator. But 16:10 screen, analog stick and GP's point of view about homebrew and emulation on their new baby (xgp) kill it for me. And it will cost way too much for my taste.

What's left? comercial games. But between me and you, if i wanted to do a comercial game on that, or the psp (cause the xgp is bassicly a psp wannabe), i'd go for the psp, and that's what will happen. No support. No Homebrew... And that, for an higher price.

ishould posted on Oct 28 2005 at 11:51 PM said:
I didn't know the XGP wasn't as open source as the GP32 and GP2x.
The XGP is supposed to be just as open source as the GP32 (or in other words, not open at all).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back