Gp2x-msx: Msx Emulator For Gp2x V1.0.1

slaanesh said:
Great stuff. Just trying a few games out.

I've found that playing Gradius 3/Nemesis 3 by ship gets "stuck" sometimes. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the original game or if it's the emulator.

The problem occurs when I push the joystick in a direction and then it suddenly stops moving, although I am still pushing in that direction. To get it moving again I have to let go of the joystick and push in that direction again.

Any ideas?
My gp2x joystick handler is buggy when you use diagonals ... i've found the bug, and it will be fixed in next release.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is really EXCELLENT :) MSX2 was my first computer!

I notice the emulator cannot run images in .mx1 format.

Fargo said:
This is really EXCELLENT :) MSX2 was my first computer!

I notice the emulator cannot run images in .mx1 format.
mx1 files should work properly, you just have to rename them with .rom extention ...

Hi. I've read your previous threads for the PSP version and the fMSX FAQ, and figured out what I was doing wrong. I appreciate this relaese very much! Here are some issues that I will list below:
-I think the volume level is a bit too low
-locks up in the "load disk" sub menu occaisionally
-when I adjust the clock speed, the sound cuts out in-game
-every now and then, the screen flickers; not sure if this is a big deal to some, just thought I'd list it.

Here are some changes that I think would be great:
-frame counter
-higher overclock option; some people can overclock to 300+ MHz
-translucent keyboard in-game to see if a key does anything
-load game immeadiately, instead of having to go back to MSX BASIC. Make this an option if you'd like
-seems that only .rom or zipped .rom files work; I've tried .mx1 and .mx2 with no sucess. They worked when I renamed the extension to .rom though. Native support of .mx1 and .mx2 would be nice.
-instruction/text file support in-game. Ability to link intructions with a specific game. Some games like Sorcerian have huge instructions; for others, it would be nice to know the key config for that game or any other notes you may make.
-for games with multiple disks, ability to queue up disks one behind the other, and save this config (so they'll always be connected). Similiarly, link all the disks of one game together, to make for easier loading of that game's next disk. Maybe a hotkey to switch between disks of that game, with a small pop-up menu.

Any other plans for this emulator? Obviously you'll want to add support for RAM timings and the MMU hack, but how about moving sound over to the second CPU? It'll make a big preformance increase I think.

I certainly don't expect you to implement all this; I'm just providing my input. Sorry if this is rushed; as I'm on my way to work I explain what doesn't make sense when I get back. Thank you for this great release!! :)

Are function keys (F1 - F3) supported?

Also, the kbd subfolder has no actual keyboard mapping samples. :rolleyes:

Edit: Yes, function key support + save states! Excellent! MSX done right FINALLY! :D :D :D

Jaguarandine said:
Here are some changes that I think would be great:
A -frame counter
B -higher overclock option; some people can overclock to 300+ MHz
C -translucent keyboard in-game to see if a key does anything
D -load game immeadiately, instead of having to go back to MSX BASIC. Make this an option if you'd like
E -seems that only .rom or zipped .rom files work; I've tried .mx1 and .mx2 with no sucess.
They worked when renamed the extension to .rom though. Native support of .mx1 and .mx2 would be nice.
F -instruction/text file support in-game. Ability to link intructions with a specific game. Some games like Sorcerian have huge instructions; for others, it would be nice to know the key config for that game or any other notes you may make.
G -for games with multiple disks, ability to queue up disks one behind the other, and save this config (so they'll always be connected). Similiarly, link all the disks of one game together, to make for easier loading of that game's next disk. Maybe a hotkey to switch between disks of that game, with a small pop-up menu.
(A) why not
(B) ok i will add it
© i will move the keyboard on the corner .. it will be easier to see what's going on
(D) i really don't see how to do it, since it depends of the msx version you choose, and that's the way
MSX behaves at boot time ...
(E) will be fixed in next version
(F) A kind of text reader, as for the help ? why not ...
(G) why not, but doesn't seem to be easy to do :( ...

Jaguarandine said:
Any other plans for this emulator? Obviously you'll want to add support for RAM timings and the MMU hack, but how about moving sound over to the second CPU? It'll make a big preformance increase I think.

I certainly don't expect you to implement all this; I'm just providing my input. Sorry if this is rushed; as I'm on my way to work I explain what doesn't make sense when I get back. Thank you for this great release!! :)
Thanks for your comment, and your feedback, it's always nice to have good ideas and new features request :).

vaustein said:
Also, the kbd subfolder has no actual keyboard mapping samples. :rolleyes:
oops ... you can generate it using the save keyboard option ... but yes, you won't have all keys code :( ...
gonna fix it asap ...

Hey, thanks for taking the time reply to my confusing post.

About C- Sorry, let me clarify: the keyboard already becomes translucent when you move from the center. It would be nice if the keyboard was always that way, instead of the effect that is done now. If this is too difficult, then your way is the best solution. :)

About D- Yes, MS BASIC must run, but when you click on a rom, could you make it run right away, instead of having to go back through menus with the select button. Assuming there is no disk running at the time, you could do this with disks as well. This is what most game emulators do, and it would make running a computer emulator like MSX easier when you want to play games (although I must admit I have little experiene with computer emulator so this might not make sense)

Thanks again :)

hahaha this is fantastic. adding a bunch of shiny new emulators to the gp2x's roster, and then going to the trouble of answering seemingly every question?! (and there are a lot of them)

good job :D

:( ZX 81 Thank you for this greats emulators, but i have see wich many games ".rom" DON'T WORK, i read
"SYNTAX ERROR" Or "UNPRINTABLE ERROR"
A some of this game are:
ATLETIC LAND
ALI BABA
HYPER SPORT 1 -2
BECHY
KONAMI BASEBALL
KONAMI TENNIS
and many others. :unsure:

EXCUSE ME, FOR ME RUBBISH ENGLISH, BYE. :)

DARKGATE said:
:( ZX 81 Thank you for this greats emulators, but i have see wich many games ".rom" DON'T WORK, i read
"SYNTAX ERROR" Or "UNPRINTABLE ERROR"
A some of this game are:
ATLETIC LAND
ALI BABA
HYPER SPORT 1 -2
BECHY
KONAMI BASEBALL
KONAMI TENNIS
and many others. :unsure:

EXCUSE ME, FOR ME RUBBISH ENGLISH, BYE. :)
Yes, thanks for your feedback, those games work fine on original version, so it should be a bug in the gp2x port...

Back