Gp2x Movie Playback On Tv

quindo

Still Fresh
Hello,

I've managed to reencode a few episodes for good playback on the GP2X screen.
However, when I use the TV-out it turns nasty.
Most likely because the episodes are encoded to 320x240.
When I reencode to 720x480 with a bitrate of 300 I still a bad result.
When using a bitrate of 1000 the result looks very good but playbacks stutters every few seconds.

Reading up on this board it seems that good playback on the tv should be possible.
The big question now is how?

I'm a linux user and mostly use mplayer/mencoder.
Can anyone give me a few hints on which settings to use to get good playback on the tv?

the bitrates sound fine , is the gp2x overclocked in video playback mode ? (i think pressing Y alters the clock speed to "full" or whatever)
if its on the powersaving mode it might stutter.

it could also be if you're running on batterys ive had videos refuse to playback when my batts are lowish..

what codec are you using ? (ive had success with XVID)

Samba Pa Ti said:
the bitrates sound fine , is the gp2x overclocked in video playback mode ? (i think pressing Y alters the clock speed to "full" or whatever)
if its on the powersaving mode it might stutter.

it could also be if you're running on batterys ive had videos refuse to playback when my batts are lowish..

what codec are you using ? (ive had success with XVID)
I've got firmware 2.1.1 (no overclocking/undeclocking in the default movieplayer).
To play the movies I use mp2x, the default client tells me it doesn't recognise the movie.
I start mp2x via gmenu2.x and tell it to overclock to 260.

Batteries are NiMH 2700 fully charged.

To transcode I use mencoder with lavcencode libmp3 for audio (128bit,cbr) and libxvid (bitrate 800). and scale it 720xYYY (YYY is calculated automatically to maintain aspect).

Last edited by a moderator:
Try moving from 1000 to 700kbps. I find at 700, with a res of 640x480 that it looks very good on both the GP2X and on the TV.

Back