Gp2x Mounting Read-only?

jmetal88

Erm.... Woohoo!
Website
mikesweb.exofire.net
Hmm.... for some reason, my GP2X won't let me format or write to my SD card through Windows XP..... It keeps giving me a write-protected error.... and yes, I have checked the write protect tab on the SD itself :rolleyes:

Well, I'm off to reboot, to see if that makes a difference, back in a bit.

You're best off buying a card reader. They're very cheap, usually less than $10. Check on eBay.

My camera (a Canon 300D), has a USB cord which allows you to use it as a mass storage drive, but after using that for 3 months, the connection on the actual camera broke. After browsing some canon forums, I found out that almost everyone uses card readers exclusivly. It's also a lot faster than transferring data through a camera to the memory card, and I assume it is for the GP2X too.

I have a card reader, I'm just trying out every possible angle.

I don't think it's the SD card, because it works fine in my card reader (in fact, I was playing Quake on my 2X just a few minutes ago).

I have noticed something rather alarming though: Quake will not save games, and I cannot delete files in the explorer! I hope this is not a problem with my firmware, as my 256 mb SD card will not format to FAT32 to facilitate a firmware upgrade. Although I notice my firmware seems to be 1.0.2? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but that's sure what it looks like to me.....

Hmm.... could you point me to the topic? My German isn't that good, but I should be able to figure out what he's talking about from what I do understand. I think I'll look for it as well....

The USB menu and the system itself access the SB card differently.

During normal use(ie not in usb mode) the SB card is mounted in /mnt/sd/ as a read/write vfat device.

During USB mode, it is not using the mount point(/mnt/sd/). It access the device directly(/dev/mmcsd/disc0/part1).

I know this becuase I was trying to mount /dev/root(aka NAND memory) in /mnt/cd/nand. While I could access the root folder with the e-book reader, media-player, etc. I could not look at it in my computer using USB mode.

Which means that you could be able to write to the SD card in a game, but not in USB mode.

btw, windows doesn't like my gp2x as a usb mass storage device, linux does. -_-

....?

You misread my post.... I CANNOT write to SD on my GP2x from ANYWHERE. EVEN in a GAME.

I don't mean to sound rude, but replies that don't take into consideration what I've written don't really help.....

Yes I do have a cardreader. I don't need my GP2X to be able to write to SD for file transfer (although I'd like to try it, as I said, check out every possible angle). I'd kind of like to be able to save my games in Quake.

Or are you telling me I need a cardreader to fix the problem?

Please continue.......

:(

Doesn't work.....

I assume it requires XP to recognise the drive letter? My cardreader is PCMCIA and only works on my laptop, which is Windows 98.

I guess I'd have to pick up a USB cardreader (Staples, maybe?) before I could know if this would work or not.

well my problem (the one from gp2x.de) was that i couldnt format my sd to fat32 with my card-reader and the usb connection of the gp2x didnt work right. (found a device but didnt mount it )

i had some other card with fat32 on it, updated my firmware with that one and then tried the usb-connection and it worked.
After that i formatted my non-working sd with the gp2x.

It was a slightly different problem but maybe it works for you.

Oh, I was able to format my card to FAT32 with my card reader (I used Ranish Partition Manager and the format utility on DOS), it's just that my GP2X won't write to the card..... I have been able to update my firmware now, though, but due to the read-only problems, the GP2X could not delete the .img file afterwards, and thus would not boot until I took out the SD and deleted the file using my computer.

happened to me this morning...have you tried simply taking out the card and sliding the lock switch up and down a few times (sometimes the simplest things work the best).

Back