Gp2x Mk2 Or Nintendo Ds Lite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dexmaus

Still Fresh
I've been read a lot about the GP2X system, It does seem like a great handheld for emulations, but the only one thing that is stopping me buy this unit is the joystick.

I am so used to the GBA style controller, just simple UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT, and i do enjoy playing fighting games such as KOF on Neogeo, do you guys find troubles playing fighting games on GP2X with that joystick thing? can you make moves? because I can never get comfortable playing that style of joystick. the only time i use it is when i play sports games.

also, now there is a flash card for DS coming out that is capable of playing all DS roms, as well as all the old GBA games. but the it doesn't play Neogeo, CPS, and Mames.
It's so frasturating deciding between the two...

Nintendo DS Lite - $129 + $50 Flash Card = $179

GP2X MK2 - $189 + $40 2GB SD Card = $229

It's really two different things.

Gp2X is an open system unit. This mean that... it's not working ! :lol: Just kidding !
You just have to tweak it a bit in order to have all your favorites games working.
For me the joystick isn't a really big issue. But that's my point of view.
I changed the stock cap for the DaveC one and it's even better.
But I think you could easily find some users that are going to say that's the worst joystick ever made blah blah blah.
Perhaps you should find a Gp2X user near your place and try to test it !

The Ds lite is a great handled too, but it's not made for the same gaming experience.
Great commercial games, retro compatibility with Gba and all.
But no simple firmware update, less emulators and no bricking (no fun!)

If I had some more $$$ I will buy a Ds lite too.
But If I had to choose I'll prefer the dark tweaking side of my Gp2X.

for NeoGeo just buy GP2x ;) DS no longer can play Neogeo's games ;) but if you like more GBA and DS games just buy DS ;) simple, no? ;)

for me the only thing which would make me buy a DS would be the attraction of the original gameplay of the DS ;)

for fighting game on GP2x it would depend on your adaptation of the stick for my is just great ;)

Arrrg!!!! it is the attack of the winking smilies!!!!!

On a serious note, it really does depend what you want.
The GP2X is probably going to end up with better homebrew stuff than the DS, simply because of it's overactive community.
The DS will have great commercial games, but it's homebrew community will be slower.

I don't think I'll get a DS, because I can't stand paying for apps/games ever since I started using Free Software.

If you want to play a wide range of retro games then go GP2X, and get a new joystick as they make the gameplay sooooooooooooooooo much better.

To get an idea, here is what I can fit onto my 1gb sd card:

42 master system games
70 gameboy games/GBcolour
4 NEO GEO inc metal slug 1 + 2, and Bloazing Star
100 MAME roms
80 NES games
223 megadrive games
80 PC engine games
143 SNES games
60 zx spectrum
40 2600 games

Almost all of the games work: SNES is getting much better with SQUIDGEHACK version and gngeo is getting better all the time.

Got through a couple of levels of Donkey Kong country on the way home from work..

guys, this is really convincing, i definitely know how great the GP2X is, i love everything about it, but i'm afriad the joystick will affect the gaming experience greatly. imagine playing mario with a joystick... ;(

man i wish they made the Gp2x with d-pad initially.
is there anyone out there install custom d-pad for the gp2x?

Right I'm going to be blunt here, very blunt. I own both a GP2X and a DS and I can say without a doubt get the DS. Nobody explains the additional costs of running a Gp2x when you buy the thing.
£140 for the unit including tax,
£20 for decent batteries
£30 for a decent charger
£20 to £40 for an SD card
£2-5 for a joystick replacemnt, the stock version really is that bad.

Not only that you have to build the screen when you get one letting dust and particles all over the screen.
No matter how careful you are it always creeps back in
I could have bout a XBOX 360 with that and as I own a chipped Xbox, emulation is second hat.
I wanted emulation on the go but that is impossible thanks to the crap battery life (3 hours with most emus as they are cpu intensive) and you have to carry a charger and spare batteries and not just an adaptor like you can with DS. Not only that the DS Lite lasts for a whopping 20 hours on the default light setting (still brighter than normal DS)
Games are better and more inventive on DS.
If your serious about emulation get a 1.5 PSP of ebay or a DS and Passme or even get the 360 and wait for Mame Live

I think TETSUO is exagerrating I have spent on my GP2X:

£125 For the unit
£15 for decent batteries and charger (It may be a 9 hour charger but it works)
£25 for a 1gb SD (Although originally I just had a £15, 256mb SD from my brothers camera)

I get longer than 3 hours with my batteries, and if TETSUO doesn't, then he can hardly call his battery and charger "decent".

I have had no problems with my screen, my brother always manages to smear it in grease but I can wipe that off.

I'm sure you can use an XBOX for Emus, I use a PC, but I can't carry that around.

I'm not going to argue against the DS though, it's still great, but the GP2X isn't as crap as you say.

Oh and you forgot the hidden costs of the DS/PSP, THE GAMES!

TETSUO posted on May 9 2006 at 06:11 PM said:
£140 for the unit including tax £120 iirc.
£20 for decent batteries £6 for a 4-pack, they last me 4 hours per pair
£30 for a decent charger £6, perfectly fine
£20 to £40 for an SD card 1GB costs £30, that's more than enough for anything
£2-5 for a joystick replacemnt, the stock version really is that bad. £1.75 inc. del., very little

(3 hours with most emus as they are cpu intensive) You should probably return your £20 batteries then :p

Looks like you're slightly out :)

Basically, I wouldn't say outright 'don't buy one', I'd say 'get one if you want what the GP2X can do and are willing to risk some possible setbacks, else buy a DS or something'.

It's really your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dexmaus posted on May 9 2006 at 05:34 PM said:
I've been read a lot about the GP2X system, It does seem like a great handheld for emulations, but the only one thing that is stopping me buy this unit is the joystick.

I am so used to the GBA style controller, just simple UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT, and i do enjoy playing fighting games such as KOF on Neogeo, do you guys find troubles playing fighting games on GP2X with that joystick thing? can you make moves? because I can never get comfortable playing that style of joystick. the only time i use it is when i play sports games.

also, now there is a flash card for DS coming out that is capable of playing all DS roms, as well as all the old GBA games. but the it doesn't play Neogeo, CPS, and Mames.
It's so frasturating deciding between the two...

Nintendo DS Lite - $129 + $50 Flash Card = $179

GP2X MK2 - $189 + $40 2GB SD Card = $229

i hate to sound like a prick
but i dont agree with downloading commercial games which have just come out on a new system.
Downloading games for old systems where the designers dont make a penny is ok. ;)
video gaming is one past time which i enjoy, and i dont like seeing it getting ruined by people who download all their games for free.

Err don't jump to conclusions. I never said pirate anything did I????????
The passme is need for emus and homebrews YES!!!!!!
So before you accuse anybody of stealing I suggest you take stock and actually READ posts carefully

Oh and as for my pricing you forget to add VAT and delivery charges.
Trust me it costs alot more that that nickspoon

TETSUO posted on May 9 2006 at 08:50 PM said:
So before you accuse anybody of stealing I suggest you take stock and actually READ posts carefully

1) He didn't quote you, so he wasn't referring to you.
2) I didn't forget to add VAT, and delivery is £5 on the GP2X and was free, or almost free, for all the rest.

TETSUO posted on May 9 2006 at 12:11 PM said:
Right I'm going to be blunt here, very blunt. I own both a GP2X and a DS and I can say without a doubt get the DS. Nobody explains the additional costs of running a Gp2x when you buy the thing.
£140 for the unit including tax,
£20 for decent batteries
£30 for a decent charger
£20 to £40 for an SD card
£2-5 for a joystick replacemnt, the stock version really is that bad.

Not only that you have to build the screen when you get one letting dust and particles all over the screen.
No matter how careful you are it always creeps back in
gp2x.co.uk is not the cheapest but it's 125 pounds including tax, and it includes joystick replacement.
Nobody in their right mind would pay 50 pounds for AA batteries and a charger.

You don't have to "build the screen", you have to stick a screen cover on. It takes 10 seconds and anybody who can tie their shoes can do it without getting dust in it. And it doesn't creep "back in" (at least not for me).

I don't care whether you steal or not. If you don't then the GP2X is a no brainer. You do need batteries, and a charger. but then you get 2GB although judging by the prices I'd almost be tempted to go for a 4GB.

If you steal thats a different matter, Cos the DS is non too shabby to play games on, the homebrew is nothing like the same. Although they do have a few choice picks Elite,Scumm,GTA

Why should he trust you, he has also bought one, and therefore knows just how much it costs.

You seem to have quoted random prices, that bear little relation to the reality.

Or should I put it in simpler terms:
WTF??????? 50£ 4 da b4tr11s???????? Pwnge!!!!

Having had a very expensive couple of weeks I can report that:

GP2X, AC adapter, Charger and Batts, TV Out and a 2gb SD cost me 189.67 at gp2x.co.uk.

DS Silver, M3 adapter and Pass key 2, and a couple of games - £178

PSP Giga and a 4gb HD - £279.

Look on my GF's face when she see's the Credit Card bill....Priceless

The GP2X is the homebrew handheld at the moment. If you want some really fun, high-quality free games, the GP2X is a very good choice.

Well with the mk2's joystick you should be fine.

But I really like my old DS, and being that the new DS lite is comming out for $130 I would highly recomned it.

I guess I have both so I have the best of both worlds.

OMFG FLAME FLAME FLAME --WHINE--
I spent so much money on my gp2x!!!
185€ + 30€ + 60€ + 15€ + 10€ + 5€ + 15€ = 320€ !!
GP2X + charger + SD + TVOUT + TV-EX + AC

DS = 130 + something = 140!
What can you do with it? Right, nothing!
Go buy some games, and pay, and pay, and buy and.....

What can I do with the gp2x? www.gp2x.co.uk
What programs do I have? www.go2x.de (archive)
Additionally I got a SD card, nice batteries+charger, universal AC adapter, tv-extension cables and, best of all, a great handheld with an open system!

Just don't complain afterwards that you need to pay 30€ for every software you want! You don't want to have more than 6(x30€) games then, I hope!

~~ FLAME ~~

Oh God I awoke the idiot teenage fanboys.
Look it cost me
£100 for my Gp2X got it cheap but you may not be so lucky
£27 for the 2600 mah and charger from gp2x.co.uk any other lesser batteriesare not so good.
£34 for a Fameart 07 as the charger from gp2x is not so good (24 hours to charge 4x2600 batts)
£35 for a Sandisk 2Gig which is inst great, takes half a day to copy anything to it. WIll have to replace with some ultra whatever at about £50 at some point.
£3.50 for the gp2x cap replacement. An absolute must.

Look I like the Gp2X but it is costly. DOn't ever think they only cost £120 from gp2x.co.uk and that's it. It's not.
Think before you commit. It's an investment in time and money.

And please remember this just my point of view, my personal experience so far. Lot of money to play old games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back