Gp2x Media Center

bovine3dom

Still Fresh
Hi.
I have just bought a GP2X MK2 with a breakout board and am planning to turn into a media center esque PVR like thing for my living room.
Please could someone direct me to a how-to guide or provide a list of the equipment I would need.

P.S. Does anyone know of any 80gb USB hardrives that will work with the native linux on the GP2X?

Thanks,
Nex Addo.

Nex Addo posted on Mar 11 2007 at 04:10 AM said:
Hi.
I have just bought a GP2X MK2 with a breakout board and am planning to turn into a media center esque PVR like thing for my living room.
Please could someone direct me to a how-to guide or provide a list of the equipment I would need.

P.S. Does anyone know of any 80gb USB hardrives that will work with the native linux on the GP2X?

Thanks,
Nex Addo.
Easy, Plug in USB devices. Done.

Edit, I forgot, go to the system settings on GP2X, select "menu extension" then turn USB to "always on" and turn on USB storage and human interface device.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your help!
Where can I get a good power supply for the GP2X (it needs to have a UK plug) - Having to change the batteries will be uneconomical.

Yeah I'm thinking about making a media center too. That way I can leave my SD cards to games and movies and music would go on a flash drive. I doubt GPH is gonna ever release the comercial Breakout Board anywyas...Would be cool if they did and released it with like 30gig of storage. That would raise the price of course......

And here is a Power Supply that works for both the B.O.B and the GP2X system: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-d1-49-en-70-14wk.html

Nex Addo posted on Mar 11 2007 at 09:26 PM said:
Thanks for all your help!
Where can I get a good power supply for the GP2X (it needs to have a UK plug) - Having to change the batteries will be uneconomical.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9829701.htm
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9828915.htm

Either will do fine for both the gp2x and the bob (you can even get away with just 300ma for the bob). I've ran a joystick, keyboard, and tv out at the same time using that 1200ma in the gp2x and 300ma in the bob.

Thanks again!
Of the argos ones, what is the difference between the 2500ma and the 1200ma?

Thankyou to everyone who has helped me so far =D

Yay! Nearly got it all sorted =D
Just 2 things that I now need help with...
+ Duke2x will not load (not even reaching menu)
+ Quake will not run (it crashes out to the GP2X menu when I try to run)
Thanks!

- Duke2X -- HA! Thanks for making me double check - I had not put duke3d.cfg and duke3d.grp in the right place!

- Quake -- I have double checked all the files and they are where they should be and how they should be...

So just quake to sort out now =D

P.S. Thanks for the help shifty!

I am nearly there now =D just got to buy the hard drive and other cables; does anyone know of problems with a 'Plextor PX-SP08U/T3 2.5" ShockProof USB Hard Drive'?

-- Thanks, Nex Addo.

P.S....Quake still does not work =.(

Make sure you format the hard drive as something both your GP2X and your PC can access. FAT32 comes to mind. Of course Microsoft's formatter is crippled to 30gb, so you'll have to use another program instead.

Make sure there is a folder in the Quake folder called "id1", that contains "pak0.pak" and "pak1.pak".

--Quake - The pak files are there =(....
EDIT: HAHA! the pak files had a .gz extention on the end = now unzipped and quake works... thanks.

--Hard Disk - Thanks for the warning, but what program can I use to format it to 80gB in FAT32?

Right - Now I have the power supplies (from argos) that I have been recommended but I now have another question that needs answering:
What polarity is the GP2X?
The power supply has two ways on which to put the head - so, to anyone who has this power supply, which way up do I put it? I have not tried as I do not want to fry my gp2x...
Thanks!

Nex Addo posted on Mar 22 2007 at 11:09 AM said:
Right - Now I have the power supplies (from argos) that I have been recommended but I now have another question that needs answering:
What polarity is the GP2X?
The power supply has two ways on which to put the head - so, to anyone who has this power supply, which way up do I put it? I have not tried as I do not want to fry my gp2x...
Thanks!

You want - inside and + outside.

google for a program called fat32format, I used that for my external hard drive.

Back