Gp2x Joystick Throw Distance

tdp

Hello all,

Just got my GP2X. It's not a bad machine. Having a few lockups (not battery related) when using mame. And the video play is okay, but sometimes a bit unreliable, but I know this will improve over time. My main issue is the joystick. The throw (the distance you have to move the joystick before it registers a move) is very long. I have to move the joystick completely. I find this uncomfortable, especially playing shoot em ups, sometimes in the heat of action I don't move the joystick enough and seems like the joystick is not working.

I have been through thre forums, and I have seen that people have done complete mods on their machines. I don't want to go that far. Is there anyway that I can configure the joystick so that I don't have move it to it's maximum position before a direction is registered.

I hope the above makes sense.

Thanks - TDP.

Zider said:
You would have to hardware mod it then, naturally. No software can affect physical space. ;)
Wanted to resolve the issue without physically changing the unit - i will be unable to return if I have any future issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could try replacing the joystick cap, DaveC used to make and supply them, GPH brought out a new cap when they released the GP2x mk2, I believe you can purchase them separately from quite a few places, But don`t know any off hand.

I`ve heard some can improve the dead zone and minimize the throw, But it obviously varies depending on which cap you use.

They are simple to replace too, Just pull off the old one and push on the new.

Not a drastic mod, But hope it`s of use.

Trooper

trooper said:
You could try replacing the joystick cap, DaveC used to make and supply them, GPH brought out a new cap when they released the GP2x mk2, I believe you can purchase them separately from quite a few places, But don`t know any off hand.

I`ve heard some can improve the dead zone and minimize the throw, But it obviously varies depending on which cap you use.

They are simple to replace too, Just pull off the old one and push on the new.

Not a drastic mod, But hope it`s of use.

Trooper
Thanx for the good advise Trooper. That's the kind of advise solution I'm looking for. :D Will search the forums for suppliers of new caps, unless you know some suppliers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought my switch was shot until I bought a new joystick cap from play-asia.com, like getting a whole new machine, made an almost unbelievable difference. Try pulling your stock cap up a little, if that makes a difference order two.

... The Retrocon mod is very nice, especially for playing Track & Field ;)

Back