Gp2x Joystick - Rubber

wyefye

You know, i think the problem most people are having with thier joy stick is that its NOT easy to grip. it just slides beneath your finger. Wouldn't it be nice to have a Ps2-like joystick?

My sugesstion,

get some rubberizer, liquid form. pull off the gp2x stick(its only just stuck on) and dip it! Problem solved. you can get the rubberizer in many different colors - including black. i think suppliers include home depot - though im not sure. you could always resort to google.

Great thing is, the rubberizer peels off when you want to remove it - a little razor blade action may help.

see - http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=45&SBL=1

es mucho perfecto.

wf.

Ah, good idea. I did like the PS2's analog sticks, they worked well with the games and the rubber was definitely a nice touch.

Last edited by a moderator:
you need to post up some pictures once you get it!

i hope you ordered black, we dont want to make the gp2x look gaudy now do we?

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 2 2005 at 09:53 PM said:
*runs to michaels art supply*
They got it there? *Runs off to michaels*

statikeffeck posted on Dec 3 2005 at 02:20 AM said:
are there health risks associated with using these "dips"?

from what I've read, the stuff is highly toxic before it dries/sets.

I've ordered the clear version, 15quid (inc p&p) is a lot of money to justify for a single use so I got the version that would be ok on anything

PSyMastR posted on Dec 3 2005 at 12:12 AM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 2 2005 at 09:53 PM said:
*runs to michaels art supply*
They got it there? *Runs off to michaels*
well it was a forum figure of speech, but I would assume so. I may go to check it out before monday. They ARE an art supply store after all :rolleyes:

abigsmurf posted on Dec 3 2005 at 01:48 AM said:
I've ordered some plasti-dip from http://www.frost.co.uk/productList.asp?catID=22 (only UK place I could find)

It's not cheap but at least you can use it for other things too (I've some solid metal screwdrivers with pretty horrible grips)

I apologise for the bump, but i'm really intrigued as to how you got on with this.

So?

Somebody had a good experience stealing the cap off a "minicon" controller, some third party ps2 stick. Somebody else stole the rubber off a gamecube stick, and put it on his 2x stick, I think.

A number of months ago I bought some black plastidip online to coat my DaveC cap. I took it outside, as the plastidip can had plenty of warnings about using proper ventilation. No mistake, when it's wet this stuff is highly toxic.

The instructions said to dip the object slowly and raise it out slowly, I think something like a quarter-inch a second. You let it dry for at least an hour between dips, for 2 or 3 times total (this is all from memory, not positive.) I partially unbent a large paperclip, and with a tiny shred of paper I managed to stick the cap somewhat securely onto the end of the clip. I found it rather difficult to get an even coating, and the rubber ended up somewhat thin along part of the edge of the cap. Once the cap fell off the clip, hit the ground and I had to start over. But in the end I did have a rubberized DaveC cap.

The improved grip on the already great cap was a real treat. To me, it felt like it was about 50% "better". Unfortunately, after a few weeks the thin part of the rubber coating started to peel away. A couple weeks after that and it was just clinging to scraps, much like the hair on my head. I removed the rest of the rubber.

I stirred the plastidip around in the can and found it had thickened too much to use. The directions said to use naphtha for thinner, but I never got around to getting any.

This craptastic picture (don't buy a Vivitar ViviCam 3785) is the best I have of the work. I even used a tripod and this was the best shot I could get. Okay, so the camera was less than $100, but a 3 mp camera should take better pictures than this, right?

I have used the rubberizer many times before when coating various pieces of metal used for climbing rope storage. Its not difficult to use but it is rather thick. I think it would be best to be thinned and put on in coats. Also, it might stick better with a once over with a rough file or large grit sand paper to give a texture for the rubber to stick to.

I'll surely have to try this out in the comming weeks..when I can get the money. Atleast I have a spare MKII cap to play with.

Back