Gp2x Handy V0.1e, Atari Lynx

I've seen the term "fullspeed" used on emulators as often as i've seen the word "rare" on eBay.

I guess this may be because peoples definition of "fullspeed" varies - which is fair enough.

My definition of fullspeed is that it can play the emulated game at the original speed and displaying all frames.

Gp2xHandy is fast, but it's not quite fullspeed as some of the demanding games will slow it right down (even with the GP2X overclocked), like Gauntlet and California Games (surfing).

I was wondering whether the MMU hack would help at all to give it the extra oomph that it needs?

If interpolated scaling is introduced, these would have to be done in software and would slow the emulator down again.

I wonder if DaveC is a fan of perfect ratio scaling?

Yes, he is. He doesn't like (or, to be more precise: he hates :D ) any form of blurring or distortion other than the original one caused by the original screen. ;)

The slightly 'blocky' scaling does add to the effect of playing on an older console. The GP2x screen is actually pretty much the same physical size if I remember rightly, just with the higher resolution.

EDIT: 3.5" screen: Lynx spec

I can usually only stand stretching if there are scanlines or some other filter. But I expect something like that would be too much of a performance hit in this case.

This emulator is so close to perfection..

Its fast, but I feel too that it isnt 100% fullspeed yet...maybe a little more work on it would make it faster with the MMU hack?

Please keep up the good work!

I've seen the term "fullspeed" used on emulators as often as i've seen the word "rare" on eBay.

I guess this may be because peoples definition of "fullspeed" varies - which is fair enough.

My definition of fullspeed is that it can play the emulated game at the original speed and displaying all frames.

Gp2xHandy is fast, but it's not quite fullspeed as some of the demanding games will slow it right down (even with the GP2X overclocked), like Gauntlet and California Games (surfing).

I was wondering whether the MMU hack would help at all to give it the extra oomph that it needs?

If interpolated scaling is introduced, these would have to be done in software and would slow the emulator down again.

I wonder if DaveC is a fan of perfect ratio scaling?

This emu is not quite "fullspeed" to me either but it is pretty close on some games. Slime world and some other games have some stuttery sound issues due to speed. It is very good though. Handy which this was ported from is notoriously unoptimized on the PC. It runs VERY well considering. Don't forget the Lynx is a product of the Amiga team so undocumented custom chips are the norm. I would bet there is alot of room still for optimisation. I wonder if someday it could get fast enough where you could link up 2 or more units for multiplayer?

Yes perfect multiple scaling is fine to me. In this case it is a perfect 2:1 so I don't mind. If it was stretched to completely fill the screen it would be a weird 2.5:1 in one direction and I would hate that as pixels would look distorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually what I meant to ask you DaveC, are you a fan of interpolated scaling, as used by the likes of AdvanceMAME; Super-Sai-Eagle-X2 or whatever they're called...

I admit that some of them are purty; I was playing the new SCUMMVM on my Mac - they perform well when the content is cartoony.

Actually what I meant to ask you DaveC, are you a fan of interpolated scaling, as used by the likes of AdvanceMAME; Super-Sai-Eagle-X2 or whatever they're called...

I admit that some of them are purty; I was playing the new SCUMMVM on my Mac - they perform well when the content is cartoony.

Well honestly I don't play emulators on my PC.

I can see that it is good to have those on a PC monitor though. When you display a game originally made for 320 x 240 etc it can look rather blocky blown up on a large progressive scan PC monitor.

For handhelds with small screens and small pixels I really don't like the filtering.

Well honestly I don't play emulators on my PC.

I can see that it is good to have those on a PC monitor though. When you display a game originally made for 320 x 240 etc it can look rather blocky blown up on a large progressive scan PC monitor.

For handhelds with small screens and small pixels I really don't like the filtering.

Dave C you should write a Code of Best Practice for Designing Emulators

Hello',

Thanks for the feedback.

I have added the following things:

- ScreenModes (1x1, Horiz-Scanlines,'2x2 dotes')
- MMU hack (yeah, it works :) at least for me. it's a bit faster 1.8% - 3.8%)

I have not tested the rampart/rampage isue yet...

(I have not uploaded this version yet..)

bye bye' :)

Hello',

Thanks for the feedback.

Cool, Some speedup is great :)

I can't wait to try, thanks again for this great emu.

I have updated the emu so it's perhaps a bit nicer :)

1) Larger fonts
2) Savegame selection is more usable now
3) Savegames now store "play time" and how often you have saved the game

http://www.pelle7.de/progr/gp2x/handy/inde...andy/index.html

Could you have it so that it saves the button config? It is a pain to re-do it everytime you start up. I even tried to edit the "autorun.txt" file but it ignores my settings.

I wanted to have :

SELECT= lynx option 1
START= lynx option 2
L shoulder = GP2X handy menu
R shoulder = GP2X handy pause

A=lynx A
X=lynx B

How can I do that?

Thanks again.

Hello',

Thanks for the feedback.

I cant wait until you upload it!!!!!!!!!!!11

Keep up the great work!

I have to say, this emulator is excellent. This is the first version that I've really tried (not being a fan of the Lynx from having a real one briefly), and it's quality work. Thank you tusken!

I have updated the emu so it's perhaps a bit nicer :)

1) Larger fonts
2) Savegame selection is more usable now
3) Savegames now store "play time" and how often you have saved the game

http://www.pelle7.de/progr/gp2x/handy/inde...andy/index.html

Could you have it so that it saves the button config? It is a pain to re-do it everytime you start up. I even tried to edit the "autorun.txt" file but it ignores my settings.

I wanted to have :

SELECT= lynx option 1
START= lynx option 2
L shoulder = GP2X handy menu
R shoulder = GP2X handy pause

A=lynx A
X=lynx B

How can I do that?

Thanks again.

After you have changed the settings with the keyconfig menu, swap to the game and swap back to the menu. Now there should be the option "store db". This stores the curren configuration...

Back