Gp2x Handy V0.1d

i don't know where my Lynx is : /

favorite games (out of the ones i've actually played):

KLAX (probably the only game that actually utilized the strengths of the sound system)
Todd's Adventures in Slime World
Chip's Challenge
Xenophobe (not a bad port from the arcade version)

also good:

Electrocop
Crystal Mines II

and Battlewheels looks cool, but i've never been able to play it.

also have to give credit to Shadow of the Beast for a good attempt at a port. heh

dosteridge posted on Oct 5 2006 at 01:37 PM said:
This just hangs on the loading screen for me too

Ive only just had chance to try this new update and im having the same problem too? anyone solved it yet?

I don't believe the author has actively acknowledged the posts on this board but probably knows about the issue(anyone heard?). It also seems like most people ARE getting this to run properly. Not sure why I cannot though.

I'm hoping someone could be kind enough to send me a copy of the previous version or point me to it as I didn't archive it... Thanks a ton. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
subcon959 posted on Oct 6 2006 at 07:40 AM said:
Here you go Classic Gamer.

Woot! Thanks a ton. :) My Virtual Lynx is back up and running. :)

BTW - I see a lot of people in this thread still have their Lynx and love playing it "for real" instead of emulated. I feel the same way about my Neo Geo Pocket Color. :)

Classic Gamer posted on Oct 7 2006 at 12:35 AM said:
subcon959 posted on Oct 6 2006 at 07:40 AM said:
Here you go Classic Gamer.

Woot! Thanks a ton. :) My Virtual Lynx is back up and running. :)

BTW - I see a lot of people in this thread still have their Lynx and love playing it "for real" instead of emulated. I feel the same way about my Neo Geo Pocket Color. :)

Well the real Lynx is faster as of now. If the emu gets full speed though I can see the emu being better than the real thing. For one thing the screen contrast is much better than the Lynx, it lasts longer on 2 AA batteries than the Lynx did with 6, and it is much easier than lugging around a bag of carts., plus save states.

DaveC posted on Oct 2 2006 at 08:18 PM said:
Cool thanks for the update. Good to see it.

Maybe you could use the MMU hack in future versions to speed it up? May be fullspeed then, it is close now.
What it really needs is an ASM CPU core for the 65C02. Could probably just modify an existing 6502 one, I think there's a pretty snappy one in that "LittleJohn" emulator. Although, one should really be in the FCEU port .. GPFCE I think it was. After which, both emulators should run at full speed at <150 MHz ARM920T clock. A good step in the right direction and glad to see it, don't get me wrong. It just shouldn't need any overclocking.

Epicenter posted on Oct 7 2006 at 01:42 AM said:
DaveC posted on Oct 2 2006 at 08:18 PM said:
Cool thanks for the update. Good to see it.

Maybe you could use the MMU hack in future versions to speed it up? May be fullspeed then, it is close now.
What it really needs is an ASM CPU core for the 65C02. Could probably just modify an existing 6502 one, I think there's a pretty snappy one in that "LittleJohn" emulator. Although, one should really be in the FCEU port .. GPFCE I think it was. After which, both emulators should run at full speed at <150 MHz ARM920T clock. A good step in the right direction and glad to see it, don't get me wrong. It just shouldn't need any overclocking.

Don't forget though Lynx was made by the Amiga guys. Their love of custom chips has made the Lynx a much tougher handheld to emulate than you would think. All of the object scaling/tilting hardware makes it tough especially since the chips are so poorly documented. Then there is the fact that Handy from the PC is a horribly bloated mess. Since this is based on that code I am suprised that it runs as well as it does with sound. This is probably one of the best Lynx emus on a handheld.

This is true. But since it is a C port, an ASM CPU Core should at least push it into the full-speed at 200 Mhz territory-- you should be able to underclock if the crazier functionality of the Lynx isn't in use.

Epicenter posted on Oct 7 2006 at 09:50 AM said:
This is true. But since it is a C port, an ASM CPU Core should at least push it into the full-speed at 200 Mhz territory-- you should be able to underclock if the crazier functionality of the Lynx isn't in use.

Well the source has been released. Hopefully some coder can hack around with it, maybe add the Squidge hack. Maybe even Squidge could add it, I remember he had a passing interest in Lynx as he ported a different emu once. If not hopefully Tuskenraider will speed it up some in the future.

Probably not a big boost to be had with the MMU hack. That allows cachable access to the upper 32MB of RAM. Lynx ROMs are very small and would not likely occupy anything beyond the lower 32MB. It WOULD make access to the framebuffer in the upper 32MB faster but there should be only minimal gains from that-- note how Vobbo's PC Engine emulator gleaned nearly no performance boost.

On the other side of the coin .. MD and NeoGeo are much faster because they use the upper 32MB. The NeoGeo is the biggest example as it stores enormous amounts of ROM data there.

Hello,

I'am alive but quite busy :-/ ...

I hope I have time next week..

My todo is still to use the second cpu, to apply the mmu hack (for the video buffer?) and fixing bugs

Have a nice day :rolleyes:

Can't wait - Thanks :D

Still cant get this version to run, still stuck on the loading screen, very strange. Back to the previous version for the time being B)

tuskenraider2k posted on Oct 9 2006 at 04:39 PM said:
Hello,

I'am alive but quite busy :-/ ...

I hope I have time next week..

My todo is still to use the second cpu, to apply the mmu hack (for the video buffer?) and fixing bugs

Have a nice day :rolleyes:

Great, I am hopeful this can get to full speed with no OC some day. You are very close right now. This emu is great work. Thanks again for it.

I don't think using the second core will work though. Only 4K of cache and no MMU kind of kills that. Maybe using an ASM 65c02 core as Epicenter said would be a better option to look into. That is probably the best hope other than some rendering code optimising.

DaveC posted on Oct 9 2006 at 08:15 PM said:
I don't think using the second core will work though. Only 4K of cache and no MMU kind of kills that. Maybe using an ASM 65c02 core as Epicenter said would be a better option to look into. That is probably the best hope other than some rendering code optimising.
There's that; plus the 940T will fight the 920T for RAM and can hurt performance worse than it would have been using just the 920T.

With the latest version I get stuck at the loading screen as well :(

The previous version worked great, except one problem:
Playing CaliforniaGames and there "surfing", the timer has some errors. It counts this way:
1:11
1:10
1:0F
1:0E
1:0D
1:0C
1:0B
1:0A
1:09
1:08

You can see this effect in this video I uploaded to YouTube (sorry for the bad quality, but at least you can read the timer on the to left).

So the "rest" of the emulator (the real playing) works great, but with this "additional seconds" my scores with the emulator outrage my historic highscores from the real Lynx by far :lol:

Can somebody with a working latest version check if this bug is still there?

So I am now waiting for the next version of this nice emulator.

gene_kultpower posted on Oct 12 2006 at 12:10 PM said:
Playing CaliforniaGames and there "surfing", the timer has some errors. It counts this way:
1:11
1:10
1:0F
1:0E
1:0D
1:0C
1:0B
1:0A
1:09
1:08

Yep. I noticed this craziness the other day on the other Lynx emulator. I had the original cart and I don't remember it counting in hex! weird bug.

still... gives you more time to pull off 'Quadruples' :p

the timer has some errors

Yes I had noticed that too on all games with a timer e.g cali games, electrocop etc, it was the same on the gp32 versions aswell.

Also, the mean laugh the spider does at the start of gates of zendecon has gone :eek:

I love this emulator, cant wait for the next release, just a pity I cant get this release to run :(

Keep up the good work tuskenraider, this is a wonderful peice of work :D

Back