Gp2x Freezes Whilst Starting Up On Firmware 3.0.0

fredster83

Still Fresh
I was doing nothing unusual with my GP2X, it randomly froze after playing a game and so I switched it off. When I switched it back on, it plays that little jingle and "starting up" message. However, it just stays here constantly.

I'm using an AC adapter so I know batteries aren't the problem - I dont know what to do! Is it bricked? I tried following http://www.distant-earth.com/gp2x/2005/11/...cked-gp2xs.html but it was too complicated for me really, I put some files it told me to put on my SD card, but nothing different happens.

What can I do? I need my GP2X working as I'm going away soon.

fredster83 said:
I was doing nothing unusual with my GP2X, it randomly froze after playing a game and so I switched it off. When I switched it back on, it plays that little jingle and "starting up" message. However, it just stays here constantly.

I'm using an AC adapter so I know batteries aren't the problem - I dont know what to do! Is it bricked? I tried following http://www.distant-earth.com/gp2x/2005/11/...cked-gp2xs.html but it was too complicated for me really, I put some files it told me to put on my SD card, but nothing different happens.

What can I do? I need my GP2X working as I'm going away soon.

Does it boot without an SD card in?

Last edited by a moderator:
it gets to the same place whether an SD card is in or not. I've tried 3 different cards and I get the same problem

Please help, I've tried putting gp2xkernel.img and gp2xfile.img on SD cards and starting my gp2x but nothing different happens! I just get the black and blue logo screen with the jingle.

Help!

fredster83 said:
Please help, I've tried putting gp2xkernel.img and gp2xfile.img on SD cards and starting my gp2x but nothing different happens! I just get the black and blue logo screen with the jingle.

Help!
You need to hold down start+select while you power on - keep them held down until the loading firmware screen appears. You should probably also put *everything* in the gp2x-f100_3.0.0.zip on to the root of the SD card. Make sure you have a power supply plugged in, or at least some fully charged decent power batteries.

This advice Caveat Emptor, obviously. It's not my fault if your gp2x decides to combust.

Thanks, I held down start and select and its working on firmware 2.0 now. Might try and bump it up 1 upgrade. it didn't say anywhere in that guide about the start and select - considering all the links i found that took me to that guide, it left out something pretty essential.

fredster83 said:
Thanks, I held down start and select and its working on firmware 2.0 now. Might try and bump it up 1 upgrade. it didn't say anywhere in that guide about the start and select - considering all the links i found that took me to that guide, it left out something pretty essential.
Older firmware versions didn't require the start and selection combination, and thats what version of the firmware the guide was meant for.

as for upgrading, don't bother unless it's a requirement. Upgrading firmware can be dangerous.

Back