Gp2x Emus Vs. Psp Emus

maalsa

Still Fresh
Hey everyone!

I've been researching the GP2X for a few months, and have been planning to get one, but I just wanted to ask you guys a few questions before plunking down the moolah for a brand new GP2x. I know this might not be the right forum to ask these questions cause I'm sure it's a bit biased, but I'm hoping someone here might have some insight for me.

I've read at least 20+ differen't "GP2X vs. PSP" threads, blogs, etc. and they all give the ups and downs of the system as a whole. Which is great, I mean, that's the most important thing right? But for me, I want to be a bit more specific. I already own a PSP and it was abandoned in my closet for the past few months, but last night I dug it out and loaded some ports on it and was having a blast. Now, my GF's birthday is coming up next week and I was thinking of getting her a PSP, downgrading it to 1.5 and throwing some emus/ports/homebrew goodies on there for her. She's not as tech savvy as most of us here in the forum are, but she's a fast learner (as she quickly caught on how to load up the Doom port last night)... And we probably won't be buying any licenced games, so having it permanently downgraded is fine for us. PSP games are just too expensive anyhow.

Okay so now that I've gone into WAY too much detail, here's my question:

Since both the PSP and the GP2X have most of the same emulators (NES, SNES, SMS, NeoGEo, MAME, etc.) Which system's emulators perform beter between the two?

Now, like I said, I own a PSP so I have some first-hand knowledge about the emus for the PSP. Although I haven't played a lot of different games on them, the games I have played have all run perfect or VERY near to perfect.

The main reason I'm concerned about emulator differentiality between the two systems is because I've read posts about and seen videos that show the SquidgeSNES emulator running and it's not very impressive. Speeding up some games, slowing down others. Is there something I'm missing? Are the people making these videos not running the emu correctly?

For the most part, my GF and I will be playing games from NES, SNES, maybe a few SMS, some MAME and whatever ports there are of games like Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, etc. So we're not too concerned with the wonderful speeds of DrMDX and NeoCD GP2X. Although I'd probably love to experiment with games for those emulators myself.

The thing the turns me on to the GP2X is the screen ratio. I'm not terribly excited about the wide-screen on the PSP, but the emus I use have the options that allow the game not to be stretched, so it works out fine (just has some black borders on the left and right sides). The thing that turns me off are the AA batteries. I use rechargable batteries for a lot of things, but the hassle of having them for a portable gaming console is having to take them out, charge them, and put them back in. With the PSP you just plug in the AC adpator when you go to bed at night, and you're all charged and rearin' to go in the morning. But that's just a personal thing for me.

ANYway, this post has probably gotten too long for most of you to read, and I apologize if that's the case! But from one geek to another, help me out here!

P.S. I'm mostly likely going to get a GP2X for myself (cause it's a gorgeous system!) and I like geeky toys. But this post was mostly to help me decide whether to get a PSP or GP2X for my GF.

I'm sorry but unless your girlfriend is a serious hardcore gamer and she really really wants geeky stuff, giving a PSP full of emulators is a very lame gift.

JaqMs posted on Sep 24 2006 at 10:51 AM said:
I'm sorry but unless your girlfriend is a serious hardcore gamer and she really really wants geeky stuff, giving a PSP full of emulators is a very lame gift.
Thanks for your insight there, but I think you missed the whole point of my post. I hope the other members of this forum actually read (and understand) my post and can help me out here...

Last edited by a moderator:
Buying a PSP to not buy any commercial games and have nothing but emulators is like buying a Macintosh only to run Windows on it.

This being said, the PSP screen size and ratio is far from ideal for emulations, not to mention the ghosting on the PSP screen. If you want an emulation handheld, go GP2X, if you want to play GTA LCS or Ridge Racer or whatever there is on the PSP, buy a PSP, period.

Quite apart from Mr JaqMs' point of view, you may well find the PSP would be better suited, from what you've said. Namely:

- You're not bothered by black borders. GP2x has the advantage in resolution in that games play pretty much full screen since it's 320x240, but if you're ok wth PSP and borders, that advantage goes out the window. On the other hand, if you do decide it bothers you, then by all means, this is a great advantage of the 2x.

- You're particularly concerned about SNES and NES. SNES emulation is very good, imo, these days on the 2x. I can throw Terranigma at it, leave sound on, and have a great time with little or no overclocking. It's not 60fps, but it's fun. But, that said, from what I gather - and I've no first hand experience - the PSx ones are more impressive. NES on the 2x... the emus are acceptable, but currently stagnant in the sense that the best ones are as far as I know not being developed anymore. Mostly because some idiot decided to threaten GPL lawsuits in the direction of the guy developing it, as far as I gather.

- NeoGeo, either CD or otherwise, is interesting, but not something you'll be playing a lot of. This is one of the BIG advantages of the 2x over the PSP, since NG needs a lot of memory.

- SMS on the 2x is fantastic, and I've no idea if there's anything comparable on the PSP. If so, then that advantage goes out the window.

- Mame's great on the 2x. Again, don't know how it compares, though. And it does NOT currently emulate CPS1/2 games, so the more modern stuff may not be on the list.

[EDIT - Craigix has posted below that it does emulate CPS1, and to some extent CPS2, which I'm most impressed with. It's been waaaay too long, evidently, since I read the changelog of Mame2x lol!]
- Tech-savvy-ness. In my opinion, the 2x requires less tech savvy-ness to get working than the PSP. I personally found finding the information about how to get things running that I shouldn't be on the PSP severely lacking and very confusing. But, crucially, you already know how. Whereas the GP2x is a completely new device where *neither* of you will know the little tricks, necessarily. We'll all help out, of course, but it's still different.

In terms of why the 2x may be better?

- 320x240 screen, as I say, if the borders do bother you on the PSP

- TV-Out/bob combination makes it into a lounge console in a way the PSP never could be. At least, not as easily.

- AAs. Yes, you need to take them out to charge it, but if you buy 4 batteries, with one set lasting as long as the PSP, and make sure the other one is always charged... Well, I find that better than a come home and plug in mentality. Mostly because it means when I need even longer play time - say, on a long journey - I can get an extra 4, charge them in advance, and get a whopping 12-16 hours of play-time. Which, to get with a PSP, you'd probably need, oh, maybe £70 for spare batteries? Li-Ion ones being expensive and all...

- Dev Community. It's a great rush to come onto the web page and see cool update after cool update a couple of times a week. Especially the occasional breakthrough ones.

- Sony are bastards. This could, of course, be better put into practice by buing a new PSP, since I'm fairly sure they're sold at a loss. Thus, since you're not buying any games, you lose Sony money. But even still...

A_SN posted on Sep 24 2006 at 07:03 PM said:
Buying a PSP to not buy any commercial games and have nothing but emulators is like buying a Macintosh only to run Windows on it.

This being said, the PSP screen size and ratio is far from ideal for emulations, not to mention the ghosting on the PSP screen. If you want an emulation handheld, go GP2X, if you want to play GTA LCS or Ridge Racer or whatever there is on the PSP, buy a PSP, period.

RIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRR!

Buy a gp2x, you can download a chick flick and watch it via TV-Out and she will be happy...or Pr0n..whatever you two love birds find great in films

A_SN posted on Sep 24 2006 at 11:03 AM said:

Thanks, but I'm not having trouble deciding WHAT TO DO with the PSP, but if I was, your post would be helpful.

And as far as ghosting, to be honest, either I just don't notice it or it's just not there because I've never seen this "ghosting" effect I keep reading about. The screen ratio is the one thing that bugs me. But that's not the point. If the emulators for PSP are better than the emulators for GP2X, it doesn't matter what the screen looks like. The whole point is to have an emulator that runs the game as good as it possibly can.

*restrains himself from flaming JaqMS* welcome to the forum btw.
Hopefully you will enjoy your stay here if you decide to buy a gp2x...

maalsa posted on Sep 24 2006 at 02:13 PM said:
A_SN posted on Sep 24 2006 at 11:03 AM said:

Thanks, but I'm not having trouble deciding WHAT TO DO with the PSP, but if I was, your post would be helpful.

And as far as ghosting, to be honest, either I just don't notice it or it's just not there because I've never seen this "ghosting" effect I keep reading about. The screen ratio is the one thing that bugs me. But that's not the point. If the emulators for PSP are better than the emulators for GP2X, it doesn't matter what the screen looks like. The whole point is to have an emulator that runs the game as good as it possible can.

There's also the fact that the PSP will always cost you more money, and just the same amount of time messing with it to get it to work as the GP2X. Buying the unit and then the proprietary memory cards is really expensive, and getting an extra battery pack for longer battery life will set you back a lot, not to mention that if you don't have a currently hacked firmware/motherboard (THE NEW VERSIONS OF THE PSP HAVE DIFFERENT HARDWARE AND ARE CURRENTLY UNHACKABLE), you're in for a waiting game and/or a hard time....

The GP2X is cheaper, because it uses SD cards (4 GB = $70 average) uses AA batteries for cheaper and just as long battery life so you can buy 4 pairs if you want, and the screen looks excellent compared to the PSP. Note that the ghosting will be much more noticable under emulators, and it bugs me a lot...

Seriously, is that what your girlfriend really wants? Or is she just trying those things out just so she can relate to you?

I tend to agree with JaqMs. Having been married for 30 years, I have learned the hard way, You better have something else besides a PSP that has been loaded with emus, ports, and homebrew. As for the GP2X, it sounds like you are the one who wants one. She might like the PSP more since she is already familiar with it and has played with yours. :)

I am reading your post and I am understanding you here. If you want another system to run emus, ports, and homebrew for yourself, then go for it. It is a system you have to do a little work and fiddling with to enjoy as you already know having the experience of setting up emus on the PSP.

I have yet to take any interest in the PSP. If I do get one and sooner or later I will, I would never use it to run anything but commercial games. This is because that would be the only reason that I would pick up one. I am satisfied with the GP2X in running emus, ports, and homebrew. I like running (full speed with sound) my, Neo Geo, Genesis, Turbo Grafx, Mame, GBC, Lynx, NES, and homebrew stuff on my GP2X. With a little Mario thrown in there. The games that I am playing, seem to be perfect to me.

On the GP2X,
The memory cards are cheaper. I see the battery thing as a plus. I also see the screen ratio a plus. The TV out is also something that is a positive thing. :)

Why do you assume that he wants the system for himself? Why in hell are you assuming that he doesn`t know what his girlfriend likes. Apparently she also plays doom, maybe she is a retro-gamer, too. I think that it is a bit ignorant to assume that women don`t like to play video games per se.

Tobriand & Shikaku - Thanks for your posts, they're definltey helping (why is it always the portable gaming decisions that are the hardest?! lol)

Tobriand - You bring up a good point with the AAs. I guess I just wasn't thinking as to have one pair charging while another is being used. So much for logic, eh?

Shikaku - You bring up an even MORE interesting point. I haven't delved into it yet, but are you saying that if I go down to my local electronic goodies shop (i.e. Best Buy) and plop down $199+tax for a PSP, it will have firmware/hardware on it that I can't downgrade? I didn't know about this. I was just assuming that whatever the latest firmware is, someone has a patch to downgrade it. I got lucky and bought my PSP quite some time ago so it was easy to downgrade from 2.0 to 1.5. And if that's the case (undowngradeable (is that even a word?) firmware/hardware) then the option of the PSP goes completely out the window, cause I don't have time to wait for the next patch.

I'd hate to say my decision-making ends here with a "how about my GF and I just share my PSP" but I'm getting closer to that point!

Get a GP2X. It's cheaper than a PSP with 1.5 firmware and is probably better.

Some PSPs have ghosting, some don't apparently. Mine does so I don't use it for emulators except to test the speed. Apparently this is an issue with older PSPs in certain circumstances like fast moving 2D games with sharp edges. If you want SNES and NES get a PSP as emulation for these systems is more polished on the PSP besides you and your girlfriend can play two player SNES games over wifi.

If you want early Mame and NeoGeo and a wide range of old computers and 8 bit consoles get a gp2x. Mame and Neogeo on the gp2x are excellent.

If I had to give one up I would give up my PSP in a heartbeat, SNES has never really been my thing. The Amiga emu on the PSP is getting regular updates and is already performing better in some cases than the gp2x version so it would be a tough decision.

EDIT:
(THE NEW VERSIONS OF THE PSP HAVE DIFFERENT HARDWARE AND ARE CURRENTLY UNHACKABLE)

You can run homebrew on a 2.71 TA PSP though and just today Devhook has been made to work on them so you can emulate 1.5 on a 2.71 TA PSP. (most stores will still have 2.71 PSPs in stock.)

xnopasaranx posted on Sep 24 2006 at 11:31 AM said:
Why do you assume that he wants the system for himself? Why in hell are you assuming that he doesn`t know what his girlfriend likes. Apparently she also plays doom, maybe she is a retro-gamer, too. I think that it is a bit ignorant to assume that women don`t like to play video games per se.

xnopasaranx - You are completely right here. I don't know where people get off assuming things. In my case, my GF is a very "girly" girl... but at the same time, she loves playing video games. We both share a love for retro gaming and sometimes I'M the one pulling HER away from Doom II! I was just thinking that since she enjoys playing all these games on her computer, she'd also enjoy them on a handheld device (which I first loaded Doom onto my PSP last night and she loved it, that's where this whole post came from essentially). And yes, I do know what my girlfriend likes.

maalsa posted on Sep 24 2006 at 02:33 PM said:
Shikaku - You bring up an even MORE interesting point. I haven't delved into it yet, but are you saying that if I go down to my local electronic goodies shop (i.e. Best Buy) and plop down $199+tax for a PSP, it will have firmware/hardware on it that I can't downgrade? I didn't know about this. I was just assuming that whatever the latest firmware is, someone has a patch to downgrade it.

Last time I heard (I don't check these things often), this is the case... hence the waiting/hard ass time game...

I think you will be fine if you go with a gp2x. When you said, that you expect the answers on this board to be a little biased, let me assure to you that most of the guys on these boards are not necessarily fanboys ^^. Many people here own a psp or a ds themselves.

I'd like to add to this thread beacuase I own both the GP2X and the PSP v2.6
I can clearly tell you if you want to play snes and nes GO WITH THE PSP. The Gp2x does have a full speed NES but the SNES is for lack of a better word "lacking" (it doesn't have full speed nor transperencies) The PSP snes isn't full speed as well but where the GP2X gets ~30 fps without sound in Chrono trigger the PSP gets ~60 fps with sound at 44kbs.

Like other ppl have said the PSP is more expensive but if money is of no concern get the PSP.

Also so this is clear. PSP's have been hacked all the way to v2.71 to be able to play homebrew!!!! this with limited kernel mode (google of you care) Basically if you buy a PSP now you can play homebrew on it.

As for my GP2x I love using it for my Geness+ games as well as my PC ports. But other than that I use the PSP for my Snes games...the emu is incredible.

Hope that helped, if i missed something just ask. I own The DS, PSP, and GP2X. All homebrew capable :)

Back