Gp2x Does Not See Files On Sd-card

Tron04

Hello,

my gp2x does not show ANY files on the 1GB Skydisk SD-Card.
I am able to write files to the card using Windows (140KB/s). And I can also copy files from the card. But the files do not show in gp2x explorer.
Nothing!

What can be done?

I inserted the sd-card, so that the notch is bottom right (when looking straight at the gp2x).

I also get the drive letter and can read and write data to it.

FAT32: 80Kb/s
FAT: 160KB/s

Batteries are full

But gp2x shows no files nowhere

I have the exact same problem. I have tried multiple SD cards, all formatted in FA32, none larger than one gig. None of the cards are seen by my GP2X. Batteries are full, GP2X says the batteries are full. I will try a different set of brand new batteries for what that's worth. My 200 dollar paper weight looks nice but is useless. I can't get XP to recognise when connected through USB either.

I had the same problem with my laptop not recognizing the card.
Try usbmon.

Also some guy suggested formatting the card using a card reader....
Did you have the same symptoms?
Windows Read/Write OK
gp2x read not ok?

Hello,

my gp2x does not show ANY files on the 1GB Skydisk SD-Card.
I am able to write files to the card using Windows (140KB/s). And I can also copy files from the card. But the files do not show in gp2x explorer.
Nothing!

What can be done?

I'd try formatting it with a vfat formatting utility (some digital cameras, etc..) and NOT windows.

The way windows formats fat doesn't seem to work with all SD cards or GPs.

Use a Linux live CD or a Win32 "vfat" formatter to accomplish this.

Why couldn't we just use Ext2/Ext3/ReiserFS......

Edit: The GP2X is running Linux... you might be able to format the card with it (given you pull the right tricks)

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry, formatting in Linux did not help.
The gp2x still shows no files, even Windows sees files.

I'm experiencing the same difficulty as you. I've read many posts and information on the topic, and I can conclude:

With a fresh, new SD memory card, the only way to get it to work with a GP2X is through the use of a card reader, NOT the GP2X USB Connection.

Once you are able to properly format the card using a proper Card Reader, you will be able to upgrade the firmware and hopefully the GP2X USB connection will truly work.
If anyone has actually been able to use the GP2X USB connection to format a NEW memory card & successfully upgrade their firmware (from the earliest firmware), I'll edit this post.

Yes, I can confirm that.
I formatted my cards with a card reader and now the files show up on the gp2x!

I will definately buy a card reader, since the gp2x USB Connection is super ultra slow!

Back