GP2X Bricked

DTH

Hi,

Whenever I try turning on my F100 it gets the rainbow screen. I tried different brands of rechargeable 2500 MAH and 2800 MAH batteries and I get the same screen. I tried using an ac adapter but it was center positive unfortunately due to my mistake. Do you guys think it's bricked or is there still something I can do?

Thanks.

Hi,

Whenever I try turning on my F100 it gets the rainbow screen. I tried different brands of rechargeable 2500 MAH and 2800 MAH batteries and I get the same screen. I tried using an ac adapter but it was center positive unfortunately due to my mistake. Do you guys think it's bricked or is there still something I can do?

Thanks.
I don't have a GP2X, but with my GP32 I think I had problems with rechargeable batteries in the past as they sometimes have a bit lower voltage. Maybe try regular AA batteries see if that makes any difference.

Reverse polarity can damage electronics, I don't know if the F100 has some protection against it.

Usually, rechargeable AA are 1.2V instead of the regular 1.5V.
Had no problem with my GP2X.

I only get the rainbow screen with very old or half-empty rechargeables from boot. So if you still see these colours it might still work like before, your batteries just aren´t powerful enough probably. The GP2X drains quite a lot indeed and only about half the rechargeables I have in my household have ever worked in it. (However, I just use the cheapo ones from discounters. ;) ) The GP2X has always a bit picky with batteries. It might not help much to you that the black-green ones from 3deka (but not the old silver ones from ca. 2010) and any ones from L1dl (which are mostly ridiculously colourful) have always done the job?

Thanks for the replies. The batteries have worked before and they still work on other devices like the GP32. I thought it happened because I used the wrong power connector and it fried it, but the weird thing is that it still turns but just shows the rainbow lines when booted up.

Thanks for the replies. The batteries have worked before and they still work on other devices like the GP32. I thought it happened because I used the wrong power connector and it fried it, but the weird thing is that it still turns but just shows the rainbow lines when booted up.
Did you freshly charge them? Never assume stuff can't be a cause because it worked in the past, it's a good first thought but you want to exclude it by making sure. But some part might be broken, causing the batteries to behave differently for example.
The idea that the unit can be broken due to reversed polarity is possible, damage doesn't mean the unit is 100% broken, it can be broken it a small way (software or hardware). But having a low voltage could also cause weird issues.
I'm not that familiar with the GP2X, so I don't know if this rainbow lines is a common/known issue. Do you also have this dock with external display, if so you might see if that still works.

Did you freshly charge them? Never assume stuff can't be a cause because it worked in the past, it's a good first thought but you want to exclude it by making sure. But some part might be broken, causing the batteries to behave differently for example.
The idea that the unit can be broken due to reversed polarity is possible, damage doesn't mean the unit is 100% broken, it can be broken it a small way (software or hardware). But having a low voltage could also cause weird issues.
I'm not that familiar with the GP2X, so I don't know if this rainbow lines is a common/known issue. Do you also have this dock with external display, if so you might see if that still works.
When I read the forum it says that the normal reason for these lines are indeed bad batteries. I've ordered some new rechargeables and the correct PSU so I will double check that.

I think the voltage regular is quite easily damaged, I can't really remember what the symptoms would be but the rainbow pattern is typical for most GP2X problems (hardware and software annoyingly). I've a feeling that quite a few people who had a bad one were still able to run it with the (correct!) AC adaptor but don't quote me on that. If it is the voltage regulator, you can still get replacements (ED used to offer a repair service, not sure if he still does).

I think the voltage regular is quite easily damaged, I can't really remember what the symptoms would be but the rainbow pattern is typical for most GP2X problems (hardware and software annoyingly). I've a feeling that quite a few people who had a bad one were still able to run it with the (correct!) AC adaptor but don't quote me on that. If it is the voltage regulator, you can still get replacements (ED used to offer a repair service, not sure if he still does).

So it's a 48-pin LQFP, those aren't the easiest to solder.

Yeah, that's easy to replace.

The symptoms were that the GP2x only worked with 5V, not 3V anymore (so it didn't run on batteries)

Reactions: rSl
Alright so I bought an AC adapter with supposedly the correct specs (3v 1a, - --C--+) but it doesn't do anything. Now after turning it on and off numerous time with batteries inserted the black intro screen and then the green loading screen pops up but it stays hanging there.

If that's the case is it normal that sometimes it does go into the green loading screen with batteries inserted?
Well, it could be. What we do know is that the IC breaks in a way that needs more power than normally.
So it could be it's right at the edge and randomly manages to show the boot screen.

Of course, it could also be a dying emmc.

Reactions: rSl
Back