Gp2x Break Out Box (finished Product)

lintsniffer posted on May 20 2006 at 04:56 PM said:
What I mean was

HDD-->via EXT-->GP2x
doesn't work/is impossible

HDD-->via USB-->BoB-->via ext cable-->gp2x
DOES work

Let me break it down a little.

2 wires and a ground are needed for USB, also the HDD needs power.

The EXT has the 2 USB wires and a ground, the HDD can be powered some other way.

All you really need to do is connect those 3 wires to the HDD or other USB thingy, and filter them with some teeny electronic components that cost pennies and you can get a Radio Shack that will fit in one end of the cable.

There can be a EXT to USB HDD cable that is not a breakout box.

The BoB is different because it is a USB Hub to connect 3 different USB things and a TV-Out cable too.

The BoB is too big to just carry with you, a EXT to HDD cable is no bigger than any other USB cable, the electronic components to filter it can hide in one end of the cable.

I mean:

USB HDD-->gp2x EXT

It could be one cable, but other than that you are on the money.

What do you do for a living/what is your comfort level with electrical circuits?

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie posted on May 20 2006 at 07:37 PM said:
What do you do for a living/what is your comfort level with electrical circuits?

Ok I get it now.
I'm a professional... student <_<
I know more about electronics than the average person, but don't ask me to make a nuclear bomb from 555 chips or anything.

lintsniffer posted on May 20 2006 at 05:52 PM said:
I'm a professional... student <_<
I know more about electronics than the average person, but don't ask me to make a nuclear bomb from 555 chips or anything.

Cool, I see you finally got it, the only real chip in the BoB as far as I know is just a regular USB hub chip to connect up 3 USB devices.

The rest is just maybe a filter capacitor or resistor to keep the signal clean.

And of course the circuits to connect to your TV, really just wires.

Very simple, and like I said, you could make your own.

I plan to make a portable cable like I described, but the BoB is something to keep your eye on, especially now that they have promised a cradle to hold the GP2X.

I guess I am also a professional student, PC's and Automotive here, although I never plan to have a point where I quit learning :).

The EXT2 has pinouts for: USB (Host), USB (Device), Serial I/O (RS232), TV Out, Stereo Audio Out, Power, and JTAG ..

You can give your GP2X USB Host-capabilities by exploiting those pins on the EXT2 output .. USB is not the only capability worth exploiting, however. You can put GPS on the RS232, among countless other things ..

Effectively, EXT2 is to your GP2X what PCI is to your PC ..

daclassicgamingmaster posted on May 21 2006 at 08:04 AM said:
....Still nothing? I'm dying for this product people!!

Sorry, you know GPH and now that this is the official BoB you will be waiting.

I am curious to hear news though, maybe Craigix would have something definite.

I wonder how they will be doing the cradle/dock thing, GPH could be having plastic made, you never know.

I believe techfreak put together the original design and was planning on selling it a few weeks after he started this thread. Then, he got into talks with GPH, and they decided to modify his design and release an official bob based on that.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Apr 29 2006 at 12:14 AM said:
do they make a genesis pad to usb adapter? that'd be the shit.

For those looking for misc console to USB adapters or controllers, check out Retrozone. I haven't ordered from them yet, but I do plan on it.

This is an excelent idea, any GP2x owner would be stupid not to want one of these. The possiblities are endless, however I do have a suggestion...

Suppose there are the users that just want a very simple BoB with just WIFI and single USB port, something so small it could be 'clipped' onto the back of the GP2X some how. I believe this idea was mentioned earlier in the thread, about a mini-BoB.

The only reason I would want a BoB is for WIFI USB.... Having a unit built into the back of the GP2x would be awesome.

Just ideas...

Of cause they should have built a WIFI chip into the GP2x mobo....

andyjoiner posted on May 21 2006 at 10:54 AM said:
This is an excelent idea, any GP2x owner would be stupid not to want one of these. The possiblities are endless, however I do have a suggestion...

Suppose there are the users that just want a very simple BoB with just WIFI and single USB port, something so small it could be 'clipped' onto the back of the GP2X some how. I believe this idea was mentioned earlier in the thread, about a mini-BoB.

The only reason I would want a BoB is for WIFI USB.... Having a unit built into the back of the GP2x would be awesome.

Just ideas...

If you want one, just build it yourself, it is fewer than 10 components, or have an electronic firm make you a Printed Circuit board for it:
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/USB_Host_BoB_Schematic

I suppose they could have put a socket for Wifi inside, that way it wouldn't cost for those who don't need it.

But if we are going to go wifi, why not a socket for IDE too, I would want an internal IDE Hard Drive more than a Wifi, and the chip for IDE is already supported it just needs wiring.

andyjoiner posted on May 21 2006 at 05:54 PM said:

Just ideas...

I kinda want to buy a gp2x (did order one before but then changed my mind) but lack of wifi is the main thing putting me off. If there was a gizmo that clicked into the back that enabled wifi and a usb / keyboard socket, then i would definately buy. You could mess about on wireless networks without having to have a laptop :D

kzar posted on May 21 2006 at 05:09 PM said:
I kinda want to buy a gp2x (did order one before but then changed my mind) but lack of wifi is the main thing putting me off. If there was a gizmo that clicked into the back that enabled wifi and a usb / keyboard socket, then i would definately buy. You could mess about on wireless networks without having to have a laptop :D

There is a gizmo that clips onto the bottom that "enables" wifi and usb, what do you want?

It spoon-fed to you?

There is full support for USB Wifi if you can compile Linux drivers, there was a thread on that recently, and the USB keyboard is supported already.

As for hooking up the USB, it is ~3 or 4 wires and a simple filtering/power circuit, make one yourself:

USB Filtering
USB power

Or I guess wait for mommy to bring the spoon, in my case the level of information available to assist you making your own hardware on the GP2X is astronomical.

All you need is simple soldering skills and a couple USB ports and an IC, resistors and capacitors.

I do understand if that puts you off, I personally consider it a plus because I love soldering and modding :).

seriously though, you (original poster) said 1 week and this thing would be out, and its been a month, where is our breakout box? i check this every day in the hope of news..

ugh damn GPH and their unwillingness to give status news!

someone harrass GPH till they give us news! :p

Paradox posted on May 22 2006 at 03:53 PM said:
seriously though, you (original poster) said 1 week and this thing would be out, and its been a month, where is our breakout box? i check this every day in the hope of news..
I believe he was originally planning on distributing it himself. This official version sounds like it is a lot different from techfreak's original product (i.e. docking, etc.).

I've got two self-made Breakout Boards with full I/O for my GP2X's, and I'm about to make myself a set of cables (i.e. *just EXT->USB*, *just EXT->JTAG*, etc.). The hardest part of doing this is finding the EXT connector; if GPH are going to save us all the hassle, and just set up a contract with random-name Cell-Cable/Data-Cable Mfr. that'll do all the donkey kong, that'd be nice .. but my point is: its not hard to DIY, either...

EvilDragon just told us in the german forum that the box will be available around august. The board is ready but case and CE approval are missing.

Regards,
Stephan

sbock posted on May 22 2006 at 08:46 PM said:
EvilDragon just told us in the german forum that the box will be available around august. The board is ready but case and CE approval are missing.

Regards,
Stephan

:( :( :(

Back